Compatibility issue between "The Shattered War" and "Dain's Fixes"

Altiom

At least that's my guess. I've had a hard time making the latter work in the first one, but only partially and only recently. To explain more thoroughly: the Shattered War starts without companion selection, and apparently something prevents them from gaining experience up until the first time you reach the party selection screen (as signaled by the creator of the mod, so I'm guessing it's a core issue beyond even his skill to solve). After that, you get back every xp and levels you have acquired retroactively. However, that's also the very moment when Dain's Fixes stops working. I never had any problem with it, it worked wonders in the base game and every official modules I played, so I'm positive it doesn't come from a bad installation of the mod.

Now the weird thing is, Dain's Fixes still work perfectly for my main character, they only fail to apply to the mod's companions, and only after accessing the party selection screen for the first time.

As I have extremely limited knowledge on these mods' inner workings, I'd very much appreciate any help anyone can give! \o I'll keep trying to find some way to fix this in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, more problems. First, I gave up on solving the last issue and tried to play through the mod anyway, but something else came up. The incompatibility seems to affect virtually every mod installed (again, none of which posed any problem whatsoever during my base game playthrough, nor its dlcs, or in Awakening, Golems of Amgarrak and Witch Hunt).

But most importantly, I am unable to use any active skills (such as poison making, herbalism and such) with party members. Here again, the main character isn't affected, as with every other mod compatibility issues, so I guess it's something else entirely.

Are you trying to play the base game (Origins/Awakening/official DLC) with The Shattered War installed?

Don't.

Don't ever play the official Bioware content with ANY standalone campaign installed. Standalone modules overwrite, replace, and override critical base game content, which results in game-breaking 'bugs'.

Likewise, many mods which are intended for use the official Bioware content will either not work at all or will cause game-breaking issues, when they are installed concurrently with standalone modules.

Standalone modules really are just that: standalone.

Edited by theskymoves

That'd be the most prudent solution, yes, but partially working bugfixes are better than no bugfix at all. Having to memorize which mechanic is riddled with bugs and oversights, which skill works as intended, if at all, in the base game was kinda fun the first few playthroughs, but it definitely loses its charm after ten years ;/

I guess the origin of the issue can only be really pinpointed by the creator of the mod, and I've tried contacting him but there's been no answer for quite a while now. Anyway, I'm dry, no more idea! I'll just keep playing as is, come what may!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd try removing all mods apart from the standalone module.

Dug deeper into the olden posts, it appears the non-working crafting skills bug was already reported several years ago, totally unrelated to mods. Seems the prudent option was to not uninstall anything after all (glad I chose wisely). There was also talks of a 1.1 version which would have solved many issue from as far back as 2018 but never came out. Guess it's safe to assume it never will, but at least I got an answer to my question! Edited by Altiom