Why can't we delete our own comments but Mod Authors can?

hysjr

You CAN edit your posts though, and delete all the text. Of course, you can't do anything about your quoted posts in someone else's post.

Things that moderators have said in the past leave me to believe that once you hit the Post button the first time whatever you have posted is viewable by the site staff even if you afterwards go back and edit your post (so they can see the original post and the edited post).

You CAN edit your posts though, and delete all the text. Of course, you can't do anything about your quoted posts in someone else's post.

Things that moderators have said in the past leave me to believe that once you hit the Post button the first time whatever you have posted is viewable by the site staff even if you afterwards go back and edit your post (so they can see the original post and the edited post).

Hhhhmmm..... I am admin on another site that uses the same software, and I don't think we have that capability........

Hhhhmmm..... I am admin on another site that uses the same software, and I don't think we have that capability........

If I'm not mistaken I think it was mentioned in some rare cases in ban notices.

I, David presently living in the USA the country where I am a citizen and have been since my birth, using my pseudonym Pagafyr

Pagafyr Posted Today
Thursday
November 11, 2021
10:46 AM MST

I have all my posts recorded on my backup and cloud. Several times I returned to add to or inspect my wording at this site and the post was deleted entirely.

My experience while studying and building a webserver and have my own webpage storefront, to start my own webpage, at GoDaddy dot com taught me all about the way this and other post location are set up. The computer owner, master of the web page, can delete anything, and all our posts, even the threads.

Unlike them the moderator has no control over the accounts. In my case I could block, ban, delete, and remove any account and delete them from the webserver. SPAM is still a big issue for WebMasters webservers being having people hack and cause overloading by a hack that sends too much mail and/or repeated pummeling from other sources that cause the website to crash. You can read more about it at Steve Gibson's website. How he, found a way, after some young hacker caused Denial of Service overloading his computer. SPAM essentially from this kind of service overload it. I owned and would have had the computer it was on in my office area it operated as the whole webservice providing a, my, webpage as a link to the forums. The computer webserver's Webmaster has control over everything. Including Parent account with Child account which is the location of the username and password of each and every client. The functions are the client's private information, e.g., location, address, country and phone number. Only the user's avatar name is in the profile, on threads they made and posts are visible to the moderators. When you're banned the moderator sends the note to the controls and locks the profile, while your personal information is still intact. Unless the Webmaster deletes your account. The King of England, a Prince, The Queen, a Princess, may have the final say over who actually can be Deleted from the Webmaster list of clients.

I keep finding that people who visit here are impressed with my seemingly ability to tell you the future or describe the past. Even the things I have deleted are still a bundle of meaningful terms only to the kind of scholastic wizard that understands their purpose in the college departments of the University. A university is the center of all college studies and the places of study are the college buildings on the University's campus.

BlackTreeGaming is the University of all the scholastic websites it supposed and now maintains via all schooled orientated people who continue to seek knowledge and provide their hypothesis and hope to gain some attention to develop theories. My teachers and professors taught me to honor anyone who still seeks knowledge. and any seeking it out sharing it with a student who finds a spark of inspiration which leads to a collective concept is a boon, because it may gather in a part one college of thought or another and eventually achieve of a position in what is referred to as the Collective Conscious.

A Cloud in the library of human imagination and creativity is all I live to see and add to when Possible.

Webserver, controlled by the Webmaster was or is what the linked webpage is coming from; Like, Blacktreegaming is.

You can learn a few important computer applications and get in touch with the future of what may come if you realize how some of the apps worked and could work. Steve Gibson: https://www.grc.com/intro.htm

I deem it important that children know that they are posting in a school of immense size.

Cyberspace is that school and if school isn't to your liking, take your mind to the great outdoors and you'll find even there it is important to know how to live. Make change at the market/restaurant to pay for what we eat. A method of our choice is a method we learn or we might as well go to the wilderness to find food.

If you don't know what you can eat in the wilderness... Guess what?! Another school college of knowledge you need to learn from is facing you while you stare at all the grasses, bushes, trees, looking at the small patches of leaves on the ground attached to something you might be able to eat.

If you don't know what you can eat.

It's back to elementary school for you!

If I'm not mistaken I think it was mentioned in some rare cases in ban notices.

I don't think that was the case here when I moderated either time but admin privileges and moderator privileges were not then/are not now the same and they had/have access to more tools than regular moderation. That being said it has been several years now since I left so maybe it changed. If it has NOT I can see some ways the original posts could have been retained even after a post was edited out. 1) it was quoted by someone else then later the quoted post was edited or removed just leaving a blank post. The quoted portion of the post would not change. 2) It was reported for moderation by staff. When reported the original post gets retained like a quote and will not change when edited after the fact. 3) If a mod author kept the post hidden and not deleted it would still possibly be retained.

If they did change the coding to be able to retain all that then I guess it is possible as they have rewritten large portions of the site code from the original site base code. It was not when I was moderating (assuminging admin did not have access then but I don't recall being told this and it seems like they would have in case we needed it) and unless it got captured in one of the ways described it could have been lost forever if edited quickly enough before any of those things happened. It was not unheard of that people changed post after they were reported if they were trying to get rid of problem posts. But I would think it would take up massive server space to retain posts when edited after the post was..erm... posted. Less room if it was only retained a certain amount of time (and sometimes entire threads could be removed like in the case of a screen shot taken down for moderation and it was put in a place only moderation could see and kept for evidence but I can not recall if it was only the screenshot or if the post comments got retained also) I'd probably require a server all of my own if it were the case of edited post's originals being retained. Unless they have some automated and archival way to do it but again that seems like alot. I think the explanation I gave above still seems more likely and could have retained most of the info, most of the time.

If they have the ability I've not heard and I'm not sure they'd tell us. However, retaining the post when reported/quoted would allow the moderator to address the fact it was changed later and the moderator may have addressed the fact it was changed later maybe for nefarious reasons.

Hope that helps some anyway?

If you regret what you said you can edit your post. You can even remove the content entirely. But the post itself remains to provide some context in the thread. Even if all you have left is a blank post with all the content removed anyone reading the thread can clearly see that you have done this and that prevents the people responding to you from looking like complete loonies.

When a moderator removes a post entirely, which is never done without reason, they take into consideration whether or not it renders the thread incomprehensible. I have seen cases where they will remove a few posts and then leave their own comment to explain what they have done. I've also seen cases where they remove posts that are so off-topic that removing them all actually makes the thread more comprehensible.

Basically, to me at least, it's because the moderators can be trusted to act in a manner that is not destructive to the conversation (and they have other moderators and the admins watching over them just in case), while there are reams of evidence that the average user cannot be trusted to do the same. Giving the average user the ability to completely remove their comments would result in threads that are completely nonsensical. And I mean the ones that aren't deliberately completely nonsensical.