Frequently Asked Questions and Announcements

LHammonds

This is an effort to reduce the amount of pinned topics by converting the pinned topics into Articles and linking to them via a single pinned topic.

Announcements from the staff

For those of you with modding ambitions

Uploading files from the Japanese Community

Frequently Asked Questions

Oblivion Mods FAQ (* Required Reading *)

Unknown File Types

How To Make Mods

Male Clothing and Armor Links Safe For Work

Other

How NOT To Install Shivering Isles and the 1.2 Patch

• 5 months later...

I have a set of help files for people who are not computer geeks and are new to mods. They include downloading, extracting (unzipping) installing and activating mods. I have included a simple mod to practice on and instructions for installing and using 7-zip. If you are interested, click on the highlighted link below to be taken to the site where they are kept. I recommend starting with #1 and working your way through them.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/TheStormRavenLibrary/forum/256092/

If you use them I would appreciate some feedback as to what needs improvement and what works for you. Please be honest and don't worry about hurting my feelings with criticism as I have a thick skin.

• 5 months later...

I have a problem with my Oblivion.I 've windows 7 and i 've installed oblivion in C\Oblivion...

I put Legion FAction mod and Roman Legion but and better effort ROman but any of them see to work on my pc.I used TEs4 to try to find problems , i 'm using OblivionMOdManager but anything work.It doesn't load mod!

Can someone help me?

For Vista & Win7 related problems such as UAC, Check here:

http://www.tesnexus....icle.php?id=262.

Some other recommendations.

Do play the game for a while with no mods so you will know what you would like to change, and be able to tell if it actually changed what you wanted it to.

DO NOT make the noob mistake of thinking you will save time loading a bunch of mods all at once. Any time you save will be more than lost in troubleshooting to find the mods that are causing problems.

DO start with a simple mod. Trying to install a large complicated mod that makes a lot of changes to the game will be much more difficult if you have not installed a few simpler mods first. This one thing can save a lot of frustration.

Note: I have a set of help files for people who are not computer geeks and are new to mods. They include downloading, extracting (unzipping) installing and activating mods. I have included a simple mod to practice on and instructions for installing and using 7-zip. If you are interested, click on the highlighted link below to be taken to the site where they are kept. I recommend starting with #1 and working your way through them.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/3395995/1/#new

If you use them I would appreciate some feedback as to what needs improvement and what works for you.

Do install one mod at a time, then test to be sure it works before installing the next - the best place to test is OUTSIDE of the sewer that completes the tutorial. Make a save game there and use that one for testing new mods. The Imperial City is another good place to do testing. I usually load the end of sewers save and travel from there to the city. Walk around the city and talk to a few people. Try to get into a fight with some creature and a human too. if that works, the mod is probably OK. If the mod only affects a specific place, be sure to go there for testing.

Do make sure you have the latest patch and OBSE as many mods will not work without them.

Do make a back up of your vanilla data folder BEFORE adding any mods. Vanilla means the base game, with the latest patch and no mods. That is what you want to back up - Just make a new folder OUTSIDE of the Oblivion folder and copy the data folder into it - give it a name like original_data so you will be able to know what it is 3 months from now when you need it to avoid a complete uninstall and reinstall.

Do use OBSE and OBMM. Wrye Bash is a great program with many functions, but you will not need them at first. OBMM will do everything you need and is much easier for a neophyte to install and use. After you have worked with mods for a while you may consider Wrye Bash. You can use both with no problems if you wish.

Do read the readme and any other documentation with EVERY mod you use, as there may be differences in installing or using that mod.

Do learn to use either the OBMM OMOD or the Wrye Bash BAIN installers as they make installing, removing and reinstalling mods so much easier (Pick one and stick with it)

Do Not blame the mod maker if a mod does not work in your game. Instead, POLITELY ask for help.

And finally, If you have problems, DO ask here, as there is always someone willing to help if you ask nicely.

• 9 months later...

ok here it go: no, the unofficial patches DO NOT remove ANY mods that are previously installed, but they DO overwrite content if that content is present.

I.E: the UOP replaces(overrides) an architectural mesh, and you are using a mod that alters that same mesh, then the UOP mesh will overwrite the previous one.

This is true for all MODS (since the uop was created as a mod).

On the question about IDs, the only way a mod overrides the change of another is when the same item(or race, etc.) is modified.

Then, the changes made by the that is loaded las will be preserved, otherwise, when creating a new item, the id is assigned like this:

XX0123456

where XX are the load order index (hex from 0 to 9 then a to f)

so, for example if you mod is loaded in the 5th position the same item above will have an id like this

and if loaded 12th

0c0123456.

hopefully this was clear enough, i mean, I hope I explained myself.

feel free to pm or post if you have more questions/other issues on the same topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i have just started here an bought oblivion for the pc i have playe it on xbox befor but woulld lik to know what cool mods there are how to put them in my game wht to download and what not if anyone can spar the time to tell a noob how to do any of tis please llet me know

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of help files for people who are not computer geeks and are new to mods. They include downloading, extracting (unzipping) installing and activating mods. I have included a simple mod to practice on and instructions for installing and using 7-zip. If you are interested, click on the highlighted link below to be taken to the site where they are kept. I recommend starting with #1 and working your way through them.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/TheStormRavenLibrary/forum/256092/

If you use them I would appreciate some feedback as to what needs improvement and what works for you.

Er ... would an update to this post be in order to announce the board is currently offline?