XBOX 360 going downhill?

inggrish

Gaming systems  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these platforms (if any) do you own???

• Gaming PC
    • Nintendo Wii
    • Sony Playstation 3
    • Microsoft Xbox 360

I recently noticed how the quality of ps3 exclusive games in general is increasing and that of 360 games is staying the same. I guess Im a little biased, but it appears the 360 is now past its peak according to some developers.

One of Namco's senior developers said that the new Tekken game (6) is pushing the very limits of the 360 console: "It is a challenge to fit this game onto one DVD and to make sure the data is read at a fast rate" "It is essential to utilize the 360's functions and strengths to the fullest in order to accomplish the same goal. I believe that the data and experience gained during development may affect development of the next iteration of the console."

THQ has also found the same problem with development of Red Faction (3) Guerilla due for release late this year/2010: "Yeah, we’ve got it to the point where we can’t even put an extra vehicle into a world, because it’ll blow the memory. Every little change we make we have to be hyper-critical about it because it could just bring the whole system down"

As well as this, top of the current UK chart sales killzone 2 developers mentioned the game being nigh impossible to develop for 360: "We are taking huge advantage of the architecture of PS3. I firmly believe that what we've shown we can get out of that machine would be difficult, if not impossible, to deliver on a competing machine."

I am just curious, what is anyone elses take on this? How much longer do you think the 360 will live before they unveil the 720?

And also will the ps3 loast longer, or will that go at a similar time?

Thoughts? :dry:

Matt (Inggrish)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently noticed how the quality of ps3 exclusive games in general is increasing and that of 360 games is staying the same. I guess Im a little biased, but it appears the 360 is now past its peak according to some developers.

One of Namco's senior developers said that the new Tekken game (6) is pushing the very limits of the 360 console: "It is a challenge to fit this game onto one DVD and to make sure the data is read at a fast rate" "It is essential to utilize the 360's functions and strengths to the fullest in order to accomplish the same goal. I believe that the data and experience gained during development may affect development of the next iteration of the console."

THQ has also found the same problem with development of Red Faction (3) Guerilla due for release late this year/2010: "Yeah, we’ve got it to the point where we can’t even put an extra vehicle into a world, because it’ll blow the memory. Every little change we make we have to be hyper-critical about it because it could just bring the whole system down"

As well as this, top of the current UK chart sales killzone 2 developers mentioned the game being nigh impossible to develop for 360: "We are taking huge advantage of the architecture of PS3. I firmly believe that what we've shown we can get out of that machine would be difficult, if not impossible, to deliver on a competing machine."

I am just curious, what is anyone elses take on this? How much longer do you think the 360 will live before they unveil the 720?

And also will the ps3 loast longer, or will that go at a similar time?

Thoughts? :dry:

Matt (Inggrish)

well I think the 360 went downhill ever since there new interface thing

360 rushed....came out good short term but will fail long term

PS3 slowly devepoped came out bad short term but will succed long term

but if the PS3 gets better online services and pay for more multiplayer games (what are excluesive) then the 360 will fall alot faster

but the 360 is still rather imppresive speically with it running RE5(well the demo anyway)

I agree with that about ps3 and 360 apart from charging for online for ps3. I sort of don't like having to pay for extras once i buy something, hence why i avoided getting a 360.

I agree with that about ps3 and 360 apart from charging for online for ps3. I sort of don't like having to pay for extras once i buy something, hence why i avoided getting a 360.

I said better services,dident say would ahve to be charged for it

HOME could be a sorta start to better services thoguh i find it by the look of it a more interactive Facebook

I own a 360 mainly as it was cheaper at the time and there really isnt that many excluesive games I want for either of them(there was MGS4 but I completed it on my brothers PS3 it was a good game enjopyed to know ending story but was a bit of a dispointment compared to its past games)

I played Halo 3(after hearing about all its hype) and it was just purely rushed could tell straght from the beginning of the game

I also have a PC thoguh this thread is more to concles

Umm... 360 is over 2 years old, was rushed out the door to beat the Wii to the market, and as a result was plagued with problems, so yeah... it's getting close to the end of its lifetime. I'd expect a new system to come out sometime in the next year or so, until then you'll probably notice a lack of new features in 360 games, and instead just better utilization of what is already present. The Wii is also coming close to it's limit from a straight hardware perspective, but still has alot of life in it due to the interactivity and controller technology involved.

I personally think the 360 is gonna be around for a good while. As I type this, I'm listening to my stereo, which is linked to my 360 and is drawing music off of a computer that contains all my media files via Media Center. There will most likely be a hardware overhaul on the 360 in the near future so it can compete with the PS3, but as it stands currently,the PS3 may have the 360 beat in a game scenario, but the 360 beats out the PS3 in the versatility department.

I hope the 360 sticks around for a while mostly because I own one- I'd very much like to see a few sequels before a next-gen XBox, especially for Mass Effect and Bioshock (i.e. sequels which, in their PC versions, would likely be saddled with DRM that I wouldn't want to allow within a mile radius of my computer).

If the new console had 100% backwards compatibility with the 360, including support for 360 controllers, then I'd consider it. I wouldn't buy the console if it didn't have those things. Controllers are f&%# expensive compared to those of yore, and I seriously doubt that they'll get any less expensive in the future; that alone would break the deal for me even if the new system worked with every single XBox and 360 title in existence just because of how much money I'd have to sink to buy a fresh set. Screeeew that.

Oh, and the new interface sucks DONKEY BALLS. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Clumsy, annoying to navigate, takes too long to load up, and I hate the whole "well, Nintendo did cutesy little avatars so we will too!" thing. Especially since you can't choose not to make one, and the customization options are sorely lacking. M$ got some failpoints for that "upgrade."

I personally think the 360 is gonna be around for a good while. As I type this, I'm listening to my stereo, which is linked to my 360 and is drawing music off of a computer that contains all my media files via Media Center. There will most likely be a hardware overhaul on the 360 in the near future so it can compete with the PS3, but as it stands currently,the PS3 may have the 360 beat in a game scenario, but the 360 beats out the PS3 in the versatility department.

The ps3 in the other hand

With the ps3 i can simply upload all my media to the ps3 via usb key or mem stick to the my ps3's hard drive, witch is around 350gb. Beats windows media centre any day, to much of a pain i think.

I have both systems so i can compare lol.

i dont usually like to be biased but when it comes to the media and enertainment part, the ps3 wins hands down,

You can also have third party operating systems like linux on your ps3 and turn it into a super computer lol, witch i have.

--------------

Its true the xbox360 is slowing down, there hasn't been any real good games coming out that catch's my i that are exclusive, pretty much most of the games i get are multi console and i usually buy the ps3 version instead. The only to real games i bought that where exclisive was, Fable 2 and Dead Rising, thats pretty much it.

Yeah, but the problem is, I've got 4 750 gig hard drives in the PC, all of em filled with various forms of media. Mainly it's movies that I've transferred on there to clean out the DVD collection. Media center is a pain initially, but it's just used to link the two. After that, the 360 is able to browse anything added to media sharing. I'd much rather be able to sit there and browse through every DVD I own than to go in the closet and get some out. My family is one of those that buys a mass amount of DVDs, I think that we've gotten the collection to around 1000.

There will most likely be a hardware overhaul on the 360 in the near future so it can compete with the PS3.

Meaning that there would need to be a new system made... Unless you somehow expect Microsoft to magically wave their hand and make your current system better. They also aren't likely to let people trade in their 360 for whatever else, so yeah... would have to be a new system that people would naturally have to buy... Afterall, Xbox 360 is a different system from original Xbox... Same premise.

As for media capabilities, Playstation has always been higher on that end. PS one of the first game systems that could play normal CDs. PS2 was the only system at that time (gamecube and Xbox) which could play dvd movies. PS3 plays blueray and then some... enough said.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/127892/burn...experience.html