Question regarding SKSE and the loading order

Kreinzer

As some mods require SKSE, I have installed it. Now, if I understand correctly it says that the game should now be started via the SKSE_loader shortcut and not the Skyrim launcher, which is in itself not a problem. However, it is my understanding that some mods require to be launched in specific order (ie. it says in Duke Patricks instructions that it needs to be the last one loaded), but the loading order cannot be set in SKSE afaik.

So, which loading app should I use (BOSS?) to create a loading order AND be able to run it with SKSE?

NOTE: I played Skyrim only a bit after initial release, and went away from it after a week or two due to real-life factors, so this is the first time I'm actually installing mods. I'm doing all of the installing manually as I'm much more comfortable doing it that way than via "mod managers". I'm 100% certain that I installed everything correctly, and I'm only stuck at creating a proper loading order of mods + running the game via SKSE for the mods that require it.

Again, apologies if I've written something that totally doesn't make sense :D

Your load order is saved, regardless of whether you use BOSS or organize mods by hand. SKSE keeps your load order, no extra programs required.

At least, I'm 99% sure it does.

The load order is that list you have when you click on Data Files in the Steam Skyrim Launcher/when you open Wrye Bash/I think in NMM. It's the order in which the game loads the mods. SKSE launches the game the same way the Steam launcher does.

Use BOSS to sort your load order. Read the log it gives you, clean any mods it says need cleaning (cleaning mods is a lot easier than the tutorial makes out, seriously) and address any issues, then use Wrye Bash to make a bashed patch to deal with levelled lists.

With BOSS, you just run it and it auto-sorts your load order. You would only need to manually move any unrecognised files. With Bash alone you'd have to manually move the mods up/down the list.

BOSS - Sorts load order. Warns of issues (dirty mods, known conflicts, obsolete files).

TES5Edit - Clean mods. You can also use it to check for conflicts and do minor edits to mods.

Wrye Bash - Bashed patch. Manually edit load order. Installer.

• 1 month later...

sorry to dig this out, but i felt like it would be a waste of threads to make another one for my question..so hopeffully no-one's gonna be mad ;)

is it possible that sometime SKSE wont know the same order then with BOSS or ''Data File'' option? because i noticed in my log file (skse.log) the order is writin like this:

Loading mod list:
(0 -> 0) Skyrim.esm
(1 -> 1) ApachiiHairFemales.esm
(2 -> 2) AP Skyrim.esm
(3 -> 3) Update.esm
(4 -> 4) 0001BertsBreezehomeRemodel.V.2(esm).esm
(5 -> 5) 0001BertsBreezehomeRemodel.V.2(esp.2.0).esp
(6 -> 6) 0001BertsBreezehomeRemodel.V.2(Grotto).esp
(7 -> 7) Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
(8 -> 8) Cannabis.esp
(9 -> 9) CannabisUpdate.esp
(10 -> 10) Amanda.esp
(11 -> 11) Lyla.esp
(12 -> 12) Michelle.esp
(13 -> 13) Misha.esp
(14 -> 14) Oblivion hair.esp
(15 -> 15) dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
(16 -> 16) KCEBattleClaws.esp
(17 -> 17) AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
(18 -> 18) Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
(19 -> 19) FioraArmor.esp
(20 -> 20) LeftHandRings.esp
(21 -> 21) RaceMenu.esp
(22 -> 22) RaceMenuPlugin.esp
(23 -> 23) ShowRaceMenuAlternative.esp
(24 -> 24) UNP Simply Clothes.esp
(25 -> 25) WATER.esp
(26 -> 26) GreenWaterFix_Compatible.esp
(27 -> 27) 0001BertsBreezehome.V.2(Grotto).esp
(28 -> 28) Breezehome secret Bath.esp
(29 -> 29) FNISspells.esp
(30 -> 30) Left Hand Rings Visible.esp
(31 -> 31) PlatedMagiArmor.esp
(32 -> 32) Run For Your Lives.esp
(33 -> 33) Beards.esp
(34 -> 34) chainmail.esp
(35 -> 35) MLClothing Armor.esp
(36 -> 36) R18Pn - Argent Iron Armor.esp
(37 -> 37) R18Pn - Leere Armor.esp
(38 -> 38) R18Pn - Leere Armor Retextured.esp
(39 -> 39) Sound Propagation Overhaul.esp
(40 -> 40) Sovngarde Steel Armor and Weapons.esp
(41 -> 41) The Eyes Of Beauty.esp
(42 -> 42) Torch Arrow.esp

..and as we can see, the update.esm isnt loaded right after skyrim's main esm... and..i noticed that i always CTD when leaving Dragonsreach when having the UnofficialPatch..so i desactivated the USKP and its fine..so i was woundering if maybe i have a problem with my SKSE and his load order?

thnaks ;)