Best graphics card for modded FO4 on a budget?

blackhand8657

I'm hoping to upgrade my graphics card sometime soon. I used a AMD Radeon R7 370 4gb which worked well except for the purple sights on certain weapon reflex sights. When that went bad I decided to go the NVidia route: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1650-gtx-1650-d6-ventus-xs-oc/p/N82E16814137529?Item=9SIAVT8E3X4300

While it does the job for the most part, I did not realize this until I unboxed it, but it does not have the 6pin power connection unlike the AMD I had, kinda threw me off at first but that's how it is. Unfortunately, I feel this limits its ability and power. HD textures just dont want to load after a while, it lags with HD textures/models, etc. When I bought it, I was kinda on a budget and it was the only one within my bracket. I am hoping to upgrade soon, so I'm wondering what card I should get next time. I'm still on a budget (no more than $600-$700) but this time I am saving up for it, and would like to stick with NVidia if possible. Thank you for any input.

Not a good time to be looking at vid cards, they are hard to find, and expensive when you do....

That said, a GTX 2060 with as much ram as you can get would be a nice upgrade. The 30 series cards are even better, however, they make hens teeth look downright common, and are hideously expensive when you CAN find them. :D

What's the rest of your hardware look like?

Not a good time to be looking at vid cards, they are hard to find, and expensive when you do....

That said, a GTX 2060 with as much ram as you can get would be a nice upgrade. The 30 series cards are even better, however, they make hens teeth look downright common, and are hideously expensive when you CAN find them. :D

What's the rest of your hardware look like?

Well, its not a top-of-the-line rig, its almost 4 years old. I'm amazed its lasted as long as it has without any real problems, especially the HDD. I wouldn't mind a whole new rig honestly. Maybe tax return time can help with that.

Win7 Pro

ASRock Z97 Motherboard

CPU is a i5-4690K 3.5Ghz

16GB RAM (32 Max) (Need to upgrade that as well)

500W power supply

Like I said, I am considering a new rig soon, but again not sure what the future holds so I might have to settle for what I can get.

See if you can find a 2060 then. Should go pretty well with the rest of your hardware. Upgrading to a solid state drive wouldn't hurt you either. :D They've gotten pretty cheap of late.

Yea, i've been following the SSDs, I would love to upgrade to that. If I did, it'd be a royal pain to move everything from my current drive to a new one and getting all my mods the way I had it. but might be a worthy investment of time

Clone the drive. :) Macrium Reflect offers a 'free' version that will do what you need. You can even clone a "live" windows install, including everything on the drive. :D Or, if you have another machine to use, install macrium on that, and clone the drive there. I do this a LOT at work. :D

Clone the drive. :smile: Macrium Reflect offers a 'free' version that will do what you need. You can even clone a "live" windows install, including everything on the drive. :D Or, if you have another machine to use, install macrium on that, and clone the drive there. I do this a LOT at work. :D

Sweet, I always wondered if something like that was possible. Awesomesauce :D its probably gonna be a few months before I can do that but its good to know these options and tools are available

The previous post recommendation of an RTX 2060 for your desktop (I assume a desktop) should work, or find it's replacement the 2070. Unfortunately, the prices are insane on these cards due to a "shortage". You might get lucky and find a 2060, but if you can wait, the prices are bound to start going down after Christmas. Just a thought.

The previous post recommendation of an RTX 2060 for your desktop (I assume a desktop) should work, or find it's replacement the 2070. Unfortunately, the prices are insane on these cards due to a "shortage". You might get lucky and find a 2060, but if you can wait, the prices are bound to start going down after Christmas. Just a thought.

I don't see prices coming down for several months yet. Chip shortages, supply chain issues, port backups, etc, are all conspiring to make a lot of products hard to come by. Vid cards have been in short supply for more than a year now. I don't see that ending soon. Currently, where I work, NONE of our vendors have any vid cards at all.

I don't see prices coming down for several months yet. Chip shortages, supply chain issues, port backups, etc, are all conspiring to make a lot of products hard to come by. Vid cards have been in short supply for more than a year now. I don't see that ending soon. Currently, where I work, NONE of our vendors have any vid cards at all.

Yea, the one I bought was kinda on impulse but also kindof dumb luck to find, of course it came from China.... not too crazy about that part but it is what it is