lunaticorlover

Goris throws aside the robe.

I hate to say it, but the flourishing of the robe may be disappointing, (unfortunate since it seems iconic to Gorris).

As a human it wouldn't be a problem to have a unequip under a onCombat block, but as a deathclaw, that is a no go. We have a couple of choices.

1. He always has his robe on or never has his robe on.

2. I try to add a niVisController node to the robe so we can make it disappear (couldn't grantee I'll figure that out soon) via script, when combat starts.

3. We rig a deathclaw mesh to a human skeleton. With a human skeleton all npc animations are possible as well as equipping custom weapons and armor. The downside is Goris will move like a human. The worse example is he will "box" instead of lash out with his claws.

The boxing animation might be mitigated by creating his own critter directory and copying over the human/character animations then swapping out some of the animations we may want to try (like the deathclaw swiping). But there are some serious caveats. 90+% of the time that doesn't work and the foreign skeleton will just distort the mesh too much. There might be some file size bloat, since we're copying over animations. & finally I imagine doing this will remove the ability for the human skeleton/deathclaw mesh critter to equip armor and weapons as a normal human actor.

Regardless of which way we go with, I don't have any animations for flourishing the robe, it will just have to appear and disappear.

The story of the future Deathclaw queen would happen separate from Goris's story since at the end of Fo2 he believed he was the last of his people left hence travelling with Marcus to the Mojave while the story of the " Mysterious Stranger " and the future Deathclaw queen and her clutch of eggs is a different story. The story of how Goris got to the Mojave would be backstory with the Deathclaw queen adventure would be the main quest line.

I was taking a page from my studies of population genetics and genetic drift. Goris was a smaller Deathclaw smaller than even a normal Deathclaw, under his robes he could pass for a very large hunched back human. So if he did mate with a Mother Deathclaw ( Most Likely an Alpha Female ) her Alpha dna would dominate his Beta dna and while some traces of intelligence could be seen in the social behavior and hunting strategies of the next generation of Deathclaws that were a direct result of his dna seeding. I believe that his offspring would be far more cunning in combat and more social in a group/pack environment than actually intelligent/self aware.

Edited by Morgwynn

Ehh as the person who suggested this mod, and the one is currently set to write the dialogue should this actually happen, I'm not really down with this whole Deathclaw queen side story concept. I'd like to keep it kind of simplified and just have him be something of a cynical lone wanderer that the courier needs to convince to join their party through examples of kindness in the wasteland, which I feel sends a good message and makes the mod a bit more meaningful than just "Hi, come with me". I feel like adding all this stuff about a future intelligent deathclaw family makes it way too complicated. For now we're just trying to focus on a mod that includes Goris, not a whole brood.

Goris throws aside the robe.

I hate to say it, but the flourishing of the robe may be disappointing, (unfortunate since it seems iconic to Gorris).

As a human it wouldn't be a problem to have a unequip under a onCombat block, but as a deathclaw, that is a no go. We have a couple of choices.

1. He always has his robe on or never has his robe on.
2. I try to add a niVisController node to the robe so we can make it disappear (couldn't grantee I'll figure that out soon) via script, when combat starts.
3. We rig a deathclaw mesh to a human skeleton. With a human skeleton all npc animations are possible as well as equipping custom weapons and armor. The downside is Goris will move like a human. The worse example is he will "box" instead of lash out with his claws.

I think having him just keep the robe on at all times might be the best option. You won't get the badass reveal, but the robe is still really iconic to his character regardless of whether or not he removes it.

Ehh as the person who suggested this mod, and the one is currently set to write the dialogue should this actually happen, I'm not really down with this whole Deathclaw queen side story concept.

You'v kind of got me a little confused there bro, I thought that since you were posting in a request section this was a request, as opposed to a mod your working on, and say might be posted in mod talk. I think my impression was reinforced because you had mentioned you don't know how to mod.

If you want to lay claim to it and keep it under your creative control, you should probably know that a Goris follower isn't a new idea. If you do a search for Goris, just in this thread you'll see several hits, 2 of them mine, another two or three from other forum members that are a straight up request for Goris as a follower and even lore built on Goris for Q's intelligent deathclaw race. So long story short it may be new to you, but it's not to many other fallout fans.

So if you want to build Goris, that's no problem, I'll step back. Not because it's an original idea, it's not, but out of courtesy from one author to another. And I'v got a Sload of stuff to do as is.

But if this is a request, the mods going to have my spin on it as I build it, it's inevitable. And the larger the mod is, the more it will reflect my ideas and POV. A good companion mod is a lot of work, I know I'm finishing up what is in my opinion a pretty decent little mod based on Marilyn the securitron. You can see a few snippets of her here, here and here. The work I do on her and potentially Goris is the tough part, everything from dialog quests to modeling. It won't be something I'll be able to slap together in an hour or two. The dialog itself, is by far the easiest part for me.

Now that being said, I have no trouble compromising. I'm usually working with a group of people on larger projects, so compromise is a absolute necessity. I have no problem dropping the progeny/family/tribal line from the story. I think it's a missed opportunity, but like I said I can flex with it.

But what is important is that we understand each other so there isn't confusion later on. I'll credit you in the mod, name both of us in the title and give you wide lead-way as far as creative dialog, and input in general. But it's important we each know where we stand on this issue, to head off problems later.

If that's OK with you we'll keep chugging right along. If you want to do this on your own, no problem, no hard feelings, I'll wish you the best of luck. Just let me know which way you'd prefer it to go.

I'd like to keep it kind of simplified and just have him be something of a cynical lone wanderer that the courier needs to convince to join their party through examples of kindness in the wasteland, which I feel sends a good message and makes the mod a bit more meaningful than just "Hi, come with me". I feel like adding all this stuff about a future intelligent deathclaw family makes it way too complicated. For now we're just trying to focus on a mod that includes Goris, not a whole brood.

Sure, no problem, keeping it simple is probably the best idea anyway. If we come up with a incredible story line we can always add it later.

I think having him just keep the robe on at all times might be the best option. You won't get the badass reveal, but the robe is still really iconic to his character regardless of whether or not he removes it.

I think we're going to disappoint a lot of old school fallout players if we don't have the robe. I'll try to piece together the NiVisController, it doesn't have any downsides (other than figuring it out, and making a robe model that actually has to fit over his body fairly precisely) and will make his robe appear and disappear.

Ehh as the person who suggested this mod, and the one is currently set to write the dialogue should this actually happen, I'm not really down with this whole Deathclaw queen side story concept.

You'v kind of got me a little confused there bro, I thought that since you were posting in a request section this was a request, as opposed to a mod your working on, and say might be posted in mod talk. I think my impression was reinforced because you had mentioned you don't know how to mod.

If you want to lay claim to it and keep it under your creative control, you should probably know that a Goris follower isn't a new idea. If you do a search for Goris, just in this thread you'll see several hits, 2 of them mine, another two or three from other forum members that are a straight up request for Goris as a follower and even lore built on Goris for Q's intelligent deathclaw race. So long story short it may be new to you, but it's not to many other fallout fans.

So if you want to build Goris, that's no problem, I'll step back. Not because it's an original idea, it's not, but out of courtesy from one author to another. And I'v got a Sload of stuff to do as is.

But if this is a request, the mods going to have my spin on it as I build it, it's inevitable. And the larger the mod is, the more it will reflect my ideas and POV. A good companion mod is a lot of work, I know I'm finishing up what is in my opinion a pretty decent little mod based on Marilyn the securitron. You can see a few snippets of her here, here and here. The work I do on her and potentially Goris is the tough part, everything from dialog quests to modeling. It won't be something I'll be able to slap together in an hour or two. The dialog itself, is by far the easiest part for me.

Now that being said, I have no trouble compromising. I'm usually working with a group of people on larger projects, so compromise is a absolute necessity. I have no problem dropping the progeny/family/tribal line from the story. I think it's a missed opportunity, but like I said I can flex with it.

But what is important is that we understand each other so there isn't confusion later on. I'll credit you in the mod, name both of us in the title and give you wide lead-way as far as creative dialog, and input in general. But it's important we each know where we stand on this issue, to head off problems later.

If that's OK with you we'll keep chugging right along. If you want to do this on your own, no problem, no hard feelings, I'll wish you the best of luck. Just let me know which way you'd prefer it to go.

Ahh well yeah it's a request as I can't doing scripting for my life--I could barely craft the night stlaker companion I have right now without hours of difficulty. I'm totally open to suggestions and I know attempts to make a Goris mod have been done before--I just feel like the whole deathclaw-family-backstory is a bit messy and ambitious at this point.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm against any other creative input or anything, I just feel like taking it in that direction would be over-complicating it. Perhaps focus on crafting Goris, first, and if all goes well, that could be a separate quest to add with him?

Edited by lunaticorlover

WooHoo I think Nivea and I have figured out the NiVisControllers. That means potentially we can have the robe appear and disappear. I still have to see if a playidle will fire off in a OnStartCombat block and I have to see if I can model a robe that will at least approximate a deathclaw shape, but at least we're in the running :smile:

• 1 year later...