lunaticorlover

So... I'm assuming this is dead now?

I havn't worked on it (other than one model I mucked around with), as I didn't feel it's storyline had evolved enough to make it worthwhile. However if you have some ideas to contribute, that's typically the most motivating factor for me. A good story re: Goris's history or questline would drive me to put the mod together.

Goris throws aside the robe.

I hate to say it, but the flourishing of the robe may be disappointing, (unfortunate since it seems iconic to Gorris).

As a human it wouldn't be a problem to have a unequip under a onCombat block, but as a deathclaw, that is a no go. We have a couple of choices.

1. He always has his robe on or never has his robe on.

2. I try to add a niVisController node to the robe so we can make it disappear (couldn't grantee I'll figure that out soon) via script, when combat starts.

3. We rig a deathclaw mesh to a human skeleton. With a human skeleton all npc animations are possible as well as equipping custom weapons and armor. The downside is Goris will move like a human. The worse example is he will "box" instead of lash out with his claws.

The boxing animation might be mitigated by creating his own critter directory and copying over the human/character animations then swapping out some of the animations we may want to try (like the deathclaw swiping). But there are some serious caveats. 90+% of the time that doesn't work and the foreign skeleton will just distort the mesh too much. There might be some file size bloat, since we're copying over animations. & finally I imagine doing this will remove the ability for the human skeleton/deathclaw mesh critter to equip armor and weapons as a normal human actor.

Regardless of which way we go with, I don't have any animations for flourishing the robe, it will just have to appear and disappear.

im not too good with scripting in my mods, but maybe you could do a workaround this way? (if you figured out another way in the past year or so, great! ignore this :P)

make goris' sneak mode texture have his robe on, while his non-sneaking body robe-less (similar to Lily's sneak making her invisible). Then make goris' following package "always sneak". I believe that nulls out during combat? so he would then throw off his robes, similar to Lily deactivating her stealth boy. Then once combat ends, he would automatically enter sneak mode again, re-apparelling himself.

I'd also be willing to help you, Devin, with the more menial, low-skill-required tasks such as creating the dialogue quests, follower packages, etc, which could leave you to focus on the more in-depth tasks. Also, does anyone have any idea what an intelligent deathclaw sounds like?

make goris' sneak mode texture have his robe on, while his non-sneaking body robe-less (similar to Lily's sneak making her invisible). Then make goris' following package "always sneak". I believe that nulls out during combat? so he would then throw off his robes, similar to Lily deactivating her stealth boy. Then once combat ends, he would automatically enter sneak mode again, re-apparelling himself.

I'm not really familiar/aware of a sneak mode texture, but I can give a little bit of background on why the robe is important (IIRC).

Essentially Goris was small for a deathclaw and hunched. So when he wore his robe (which covered everything, cowl as well I believe), he could probably pass for human height (the extreme end, but still within or close to human range). Robbed he might not look like a typical human, but not far off a wasteland human where some mutation and disfigurement isn't so uncommon.

Little insert of his description;

"You see a humanoid figure wearing a long sleeved, hooded robe. There is something unnatural about his stance, but your not sure what it is"

From what I understand, with his speech skills he could pull this off even at fairly close range. I think that would be a important element to keep, since it short circuits panics and the immediate attacks you'd expect from anyone recognizing a deathclaw and I suspect (never played the earlier fallout games) it's sort of a iconic part of his character as people remember him.

But maybe you cold elaborate a little on your suggestion as I'm not quite understanding what your trying to convey, especially your comment re: "so he would then throw off his robes, similar to Lily deactivating her stealth boy".

I'd also be willing to help you, Devin, with the more menial, low-skill-required tasks such as creating the dialogue quests, follower packages, etc, which could leave you to focus on the more in-depth tasks.

That would be great, as companion mods can be very tedious.

Also, does anyone have any idea what an intelligent deathclaw sounds like?

I don't think there was any sound files for him, maybe a cheesey hissing voice to simulate his reptilian nature. I understand he was a scholar, so we would be somewhat well spoken.

I'm not really familiar/aware of a sneak mode texture, but I can give a little bit of background on why the robe is important (IIRC).

But maybe you cold elaborate a little on your suggestion as I'm not quite understanding what your trying to convey, especially your comment re: "so he would then throw off his robes, similar to Lily deactivating her stealth boy".

sorry if my idea wasn't too clear haha. I was brainstorming and my brain goes all over the place when that happens. SO:

As we all know, when you have lily as a follower, and go into sneak mode, she activates her stealth boy like so:

Now this has to use different textures for the same companion, am I right? So when she goes into sneak mode, the "invisible" textures take the lead over the "normal" lily textures.

I am suggesting to use the same strategy, but instead of an invisible texture when in sneak mode, use his robed appearance. Then in the NPC packages, select "always sneak". That way he is always wearing his robe.

Then, when in combat, disable the sneak mode, so that he is using a regular (yet unique) deathclaw texture, which will simulate him removing his robes so that he can attack better.

I'd also be willing to help you, Devin, with the more menial, low-skill-required tasks such as creating the dialogue quests, follower packages, etc, which could leave you to focus on the more in-depth tasks.

That would be great, as companion mods can be very tedious.

If you decide to take on the project, just let me know and I'll lend a hand however I can.

As we all know, when you have lily as a follower, and go into sneak mode, she activates her stealth boy like so:

Now this has to use different textures for the same companion, am I right?

OK so what your looking at there is a shader, an effect shader, just like Rex's search and mark. It does have a texture, but the texture is a small part of it (like the sparks IIRC). It's not a good choice really for a texture replacement, we have better methods that allow that. But it's not really what we're looking for. It would just be a brown deathclaw if we only have a texture replacement. We need a mesh, the robe, that differs significantly from the deathclaw body. I believe I can swap that out (there's some methods, a nvse function, nivis controllers and probably some other ways), but I don't have a way to make his iconic disrobing (haven't learned to animate yet).

If you decide to take on the project, just let me know and I'll lend a hand however I can.

OK will do.

EDIT: ooops saved a little space and got rid of the quoted video.

Edited by devinpatterson

• 2 years later...

The canon endings for the deathclaws and wanamingo are sort of disappointing in my opinion, their loss shrinks the fallout universe in a way.

I feel the same way, that's why I do tweak it a bit, not just for Goris but some sort of intelligent deathclaw offspring (whether it's offspring of Goris, Xarn or some other wasteland mutation/experiment. This is The start of a "wendigo" a semi intelligent deathclaw with a primitive tribal hunting society.

1320939-1522530401.jpg