The Past of Rune

Ashtolith

Rune is a member of the Thieves Guild, who tells the Dragonborn about his life.

After a shipwreck near Solitude, a child was washed up on shore. He could not recall anything of his life, not even his name.

The only thing in his posession was a rock with strange writing on it.

Because of this rock, the local fisherman, who found and raised him, named him Rune.

As his adopted family was very poor, Rune turned to stealing. He tried to pickpocket a man named Brynjolf. Of course, Brynjolf let him join the Thieves Guild.

Since then, Rune has been trying to make money to find out anything about his past.

We can find a letter in a cupboard in the Thieves Guild, detailing how a man named Athel Newberry used "every source at his disposal" to find anything.

He says Rune's parents seem to have "completely erased themselves from history".

It seems like this was supposed to be a quest, but unlike Sapphire, Rune won't be getting an official quest.

Let's change that.

What are your ideas? Rune is an Imperial, if that helps.

We could do anything. From the old pauper-to-prince story to making him come from a daedric plane of existence.

We could even make him into Skyrims Son Goku, whatever you can think of!

I have no experience in modding, but maybe somebody else is as interested in Rune and his past as I am. I'm offering myself as a sounding board, if that makes sense.

We'd pretty much have complete creative freedom. :smile:

• 2 years later...

*bump*

Ok, sorry for necro-ing this Post, but again i just met Rune in the Thieves Guild and googled if there is any quest or any mod that does something with him.

I found nothing, and that disappointed me a little.

Just like the mod author, i have like 0 experience with modding myself, but maybe one brave soul will catch this up and do a litte Quest or whatever for our friend Rune.

Maybe he's a daedra? Maybe he's a dog? Maybe he's a dragon who was bound to have a human form by runic powers?

WIll we ever know?

http://i.imgur.com/wOQGbmA.jpg

• 8 months later...

OK it's been another 18 months. I'll bump this, like the OP said this needs a mod. Perhaps Sol-stein could be the place where he is from...its an island far away, modder wouldn't need to create a new land, just a few characters.

Rune gives you his "rune" if you ask for it, maybe you make a etching of it, so modder can use the same feature on Calcemo's study to make an etching.

this allows you to ask people about the etching if you are carrying it. Perhaps only Mages and old people or something lol so we don't have to add a line to every freaking NPC in game...maybe only the sailors

A fishing captain in Dawnstar says its looks familiar and he may have seen it on Solstein

Travel to Solstein

Talk to black smith - he mentions that this was an old custom job he remembers, (points you to some old man)

Old man gives insight as to what the runes meant. Tells you to go to the Werewolves for more information

Werewolves give more information, Rune is a child of the night, a rare breed of Werewolf that has total control over his ability which is why he has never turned before...We learn his parents are dead but the Werewolf tribe is relatives.

there is an old Treasure for Rune in "bla bla bla" dungeon on Solestein

Can make new dungeon or use same one that exists, add some new boss monster there like a Werewolf hunter or something

Kill him and loot his boss chest to find a book that has full history of Rune's lieniage

Take it back to rune who gives you +1 or +2 to all Thieves skills, Rune becomes a Werewolf who will transform when you ask him to only

OK Please make that.

XOXOXO

• 1 year later...

I am necroing this. Why? because currently, I am playing a particular build and a mod like this would be handy.

Backstory:

I am playing a high born elf named Elia and her backstory revolves around going from beggar (using Alt Start) to becoming quite rich due to being a successful thief with the Thieves guild. She ends up falling for Rune, and in turn, wants to marry him and help find out who his parents actually were.

I would love a mod that brings a backstory to this interesting background NPC. :D

So, I am hoping me necroing this thread might bump it and catch the eye of a modder needing new ideas !

• 5 months later...

Actually... Yeah.

I mean I just Discovered it as well, but I would definitly like to try it myself.

I still remember when playing as Dummer (first character, 78 or 79 lvl, it was long time before decide to start modding really). I was making actually all guilds in vanilla (no DLC, and right now nothing has been changed in this aspect EXPECT now I play with mods) and I was concerned Bethesta didn't make a quest for Rune.

Imagine traveling with him across Skyrim, with his stone, so we togheder discover about his past? What if one location (perhaps Lunar Forge? It's another often forgoten place really with soo much potencial) unlocks in him completly new powers, maybe he gain some magic abilities in Illusion and specificaly could be able to set rune traps?

Imagine follower who don't directly help in battle, but instead prepare traps before battle, wich can hurt only enemies.

Maybe who fight in sneak mode from far away using bow IF he must (is he actually skilled in it? I don't even know...).

It would be interesting if we are playing silent thief/assasin, with actual usefull follower with such unique mechanics.

Yeah... I can just dream about it yet again... I mean follower part, cause story seems to be perfectly possible if we create one.

EDIT: I said buff illusion, then added runes - Illusion would allow him to somehow make US invisible maybe? Or make enemies pacified so we would care about just one-two stronger enemies wich resisted pacifying spell.

He is not assasin, so it would make perfect sense if he would make enemies don't care if we are around while stealing goodies. :)

Edited by SpiderKoloPL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...