Nexus ending or are modders/mods just leaving Nexus?

rinks3611

Between all the chaos that Skyrim AE brought, it appears that many mods either have left, or are leaving, Nexus Mods. I don't keep up with what goes on behind the scenes with Nexus and modders and wasn't aware there were any problems (if any) that are existing. A lot of mods on the modding guides I use are either completely removed or have a notice saying that you have to get the mod from another site now and state the reason having something to do with Nexus Mods. It's already a pain trying to get mods to run on the AE update, especially now that USSEP was updated to only work with AE version which broke a TON of mods I had. Unfortunately, I didn't know Bethesda/Steam would force an update out to Skyrim SE users even if they didn't purchase the AE version or upgrade. After wrecking my game and mods, I did a clean install and then came to redownload my mods after doing the downgrade instructions. They weren't working for some reason and that's when I seen the notice about USSEP and found all the mods that previously were hosted on Nexus Mods.

Being said, now that I have to use AE to have USSEP, is there a mod site that we should be using now where most modders are going?

Is Nexus Mods still going to be around or are people going off on tangents for no reason?

Why are modders leaving Nexus Mods?

Thanks for any insight.

Okay, first, there are downgrade patchers to make your SSE install 1.5.97 again.

Second, get the 1.5.97 version of USSEP here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10729823-get-your-archived-ussep-here-for-pre-ae/

Third, some modders left because Nexus changed policies so that mods can only be archived, not deleted. Some authors thought this was an unacceptable new rule and left for other sites. It was months ago and it's done now. Coincidentally, that new policy is the reason why you can download the 1.5.97 version of USSEP with that link above.

Okay, first, there are downgrade patchers to make your SSE install 1.5.97 again.

Second, get the 1.5.97 version of USSEP here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10729823-get-your-archived-ussep-here-for-pre-ae/

Third, some modders left because Nexus changed policies so that mods can only be archived, not deleted. Some authors thought this was an unacceptable new rule and left for other sites. It was months ago and it's done now. Coincidentally, that new policy is the reason why you can download the 1.5.97 version of USSEP with that link above.

Showler's third point about getting backleveled version of mods is why a lot of game pirates have come to like Nexus Mods. Players of pirated games can now get backleveled versions of mods to work with their cracked games. So, not only did Nexus' actions anger mod authors, Nexus has indirectly begun supporting game piracy.

I personally oppose Piracy because no matter its source it only gives Coorporatism the excuse to monetize everything and make everything reliant on Third Party apps that by accepting their License take away real Ownership by holding your purchased Product Hostage behind Auto-Update Subscription functions.

But having only New Mod versions and hide ''Archived Files'' does nothing because every New Game or Versions of it get Pirated including Steam Libraries anyway.

With that out of the way here are my thoughts about Modders leaving:

1. Alot just don't want to go through the Update procedures everytime the Game Updates.

If they have Open Permissions someone will continue their work.

2. Some wont ever have Open Permissions thus their Mods will become Obsolete because they are more concerned about Glory.

3. This is the Primary reason many don't agree with Mod Packs or Open Permissions and why they want an alternative to Nexus.

4. When Collections were announced i just relied on what many said and thought that they might be bad. But they aren't.

They are End-User-Friendly and a Win Win for everyone. Nobody looses anything with Collections.

Except some Authors loosing the chance to be worshipped by alot of users who apologize for even asking a question, or mentioning anything that isn't a praise, even if these authors wont have to deal with Bug sections anymore and deal with entitled users.

5. Last and most important Reason many leave:

Patreon

Here you have Donations Button. So what's the difference really?

The Truth: The capability to Paywall a mod and hold it Hostage for long periods.

Early Access can be as Productive as it can be a Scam and long term money making Loophole.

If somebody needs money to even have motivation to mod then go Creation Club. Its the only Legally accepted way.

This Patreon issue only adds up to Modder Drama and Competition by making the Community more Toxic then it ever was.

Should i even mention how Mod Piracy became a thing because of Patreon Paywall? Eventually all are to be blamed because it will give the Excuse for Creation Club becoming the only way to Mod a Bethesda Game in the future and overpriced, low Quality Horse Skin Texture Mods.

Thought: The only Logically accepted Monetized or Copyrighted Asset is if you introduce Assets created from scratch.

Edited by Guest

Your kidding, right?

On your number 1. Mod authors take pride in their work. Letting a mod languish and become a waste of space on the Nexus is contrary to that pride of creation. Most mod authors work hard to keep their mods current.

On your Number 2. Open permissions are a the bane of mod authors. Mods with open permissions generally wind up in places the original author neither wants nor approves of. And the fact that an author wants to maintain ownership of their mod is not a crime nor something that they should be denigrated for.

On your Number 3. There are a number of reasons to not like mod packs. The primary reason that mod authors dislike mod packs is one of support. Who is responsible for the support of a mod pack when something breaks. The mod pack creators claim they are not responsible for support, so they dump the responsibility for supporting their mod pack back onto the mod authors. Supporting our users is fine, but these problems are not from our users, they are from the user of a mod pack which we did not authorize or even want.

On your number 4. Your hatred laded comments about the desire of mod authors to be "worshiped" is abhorrent. Mod authors do not make mods for praise or worship or any of the reasons you allege. Most make mods for fun, for themselves and because they want a better game for themselves. They share their mods because they think that someone might enjoy their work. Your connecting your delusions on the motivation of mod authors to their distaste for collections is ludicrous.

On your number 5. I have hand it to you. You nailed us. Us mod authors are getting rich on the pittance we get from donations. In two years, I made a whole US$0,50. And as for paywalling mods, doing so violates the terms of service we agree to when we install the Creation Kit. Authors which paywall their mods are violating their contract with the creator of the game. If you want to do business with people who violate their contracts, then it is your failing for trusting such an author.

You have it wrong, terribly wrong. But I won't change your mind, because your mind is as closed as the permissions on my mods. Don't bother replying. I have made is so I never see any of your future posts.

Well, ScytheBearer's Post mentions one side of the Coin, i mention the other.

Nothing is Single Sided. He is as Right as i am and as Wrong as i am. All is true.

There are multiple examples of my point 1,2,3,4,5 perspective and multiple examples of his 1,2,3,4,5 perspective.

Can't blame him.

I simply don't let emotions anymore defining my judgement of things. Its a bit cold honestly. Has its drawbacks.

But that's how i became in time in my life. Neutral and cold. I miss both the better and the worse times. Can't help it.

Boring, boring, boring!

Sheogorath

Edited by Guest

@rinks3611

I am a mod author and I deleted my mods from nexus. You can read what happened here: https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14538

There is not a single site where mod authors now host their mods. Every mod creator who left tries to find another hosting platform that suits. So we split up in all directions. Some host on google drives, some on AFK Mods or TESVAlliance, some on ModDB and some have setup their own site. Many are active now on Discord.

Our depart has nothing to do with Skyrim AE. That was a surprise to most of us. Good to have a backup of the complete Skyrim folder, always. I personally plug off my internet cable before starting Steam, but there are other ways to prevent the update.

There were endless discussions about nexus collections and why many of us left, but I want to say some words more, and not, to split the community further, but for better understanding. I speak for myself.

Nexus is a commercial platform and their owner has to decide, what's best to get this business managed. Mod collections are popular by many people who don't have the time or the willing to spend endless hours until they have a satisfying setup that will work and break nothing. A good Skyrim setup with everything working fine needs three or more days until you can even start to play. And it needs an understanding and experience of what and how to use for the setup. Maybe collections can help you in this case and spare a lot of time. I never used collections, so I have no experience with that.

But there is also a downside. The selection of mods that goes into a collection is done by curators. Curators decide what to put into a collection and not the player and also not the mod creators. Knowledge about the complex game engine and how to deal with issues will get lost for new or unexperienced players. Mod creators will be split into groups: The valuable ones whose mods are going into a collection and the others that will not be usable for collections. Many good mods will vanish into nirvana.

The direct contact between players and mod creators gets lost if using collections, because the player will not have to visit the unique mod pages, read the creator's comments or instructions. Direct contact between players and mod creators is essential, the feedback is the motivation to keep up the good work, to go on, even if it's hard.

Many players have not the slightest idea how incredible much work it is to create a good solid mod. Mod creating should be fun and mostly is. But sometimes it's just frustrating. To use the creation kit is pain. I've been told that this software is the original one the bethesda developers used and I really can't believe that. It is incredibly buggy, unreliable and reason for many frustrating hours, days or weeks. But it's the only thing we have. The ck wiki is uncomplete, many things are not documented and if you start mod creating, you have to go through many tutorials, trial and error, before you have success.

I experienced that my followers mod was suddenly broken, script fragments stopped working, dialogue was not working anymore and I have no idea why that happened. A work over five years and suddenly I had to rework many things that worked for years without problems. So progress is slow and you encounter frequently problems you had no idea they even exist.

I spend five years of my lifetime for my two big mods, many days and many, many sleepless nights, because I want to reach a goal. It is so satisfying to create wonderful things, but it is never easily done. And I decided to share it with the community. I give it for free, I'm not interested in money and I made a lot of modder's resources everyone may use freely.

Now someone else wants to make money with the stuff I created. And for this he removes my right to delete my stuff if I want to. This doesn't look right for me. I overlooked that nexus was always a commercial platform. I'm glad they informed us about their plans and that I had the choice to remove my mods. But it was also a painful decision, because I lost my endorsements, all comments from the modpages and the contact to many of my supporters.

I accept that there are players who provide from mod collections. I can't accept that I'm not allowed to decide if my mods may go into a collection or not. So the consequence was to take them down.

@0Outcast

Every mod creator is happy about getting respect for what he's doing. It has nothing to do with seeking for glory. If you do nice things, no matter what, you want to show this to others, that's a pretty normal thing. Otherwise you could simply mod for yourself and not share it. It's a shame that some people do not recognize nor value the amount of efforts and work mod creators put into their creations. It is our decision to do this. And it is our decision to share it. Or remove it, if we think we have to.

That's all understandable and yes the CK is a mess.

Thing is, alot of Authors don't let others continue and expand their work once they leave modding.

Others even compete with each other in a Toxic way because Patreon money is involved.

Recent example CEO vs Sairion.

It even went as far people Pirating CEOs older versions after he tried to Sabotage the other Team with new versions that Sabotaged the User if he used the Mods from the other team. From my understanding he tried to take back control of his free Permissions so he can go the Patreon route because the other Team's work would prevent him to Monopolize the Mods features and get constant long term Early Access income.

There's been Teams who make as much income from Patreon as a regular Job even by exploiting it. But at least he created Assets from scratch so he doesn't make money from Bethesda Assets and therefore its completely Legal and Logical.

Open Source philosophy should be adopted by everyone for the sake of creativity and evolution of Mods.

I believe too many Authors think like: I created this, bask before my accomplishment. Yeah ok. Nobody doubts that, we all appreciate it, there might some Entitled users, but nobody has to leave you Offerings so you can feel the appreciation. The funny thing its mostly always with Bethesda Assets. Never saw Coders and Open Source developers think like that. I don't know, maybe its a recently Adult/ 18, Post Teenage Period type of thing...

Now in regards to Collections. I don't see how Nexus would make money out of Mods from the works of others except Adds and pretty much everything that makes Nexus income to be able to even Host this Site. Without that there wouldn't be such a massive Mod Hosting Platform to begin with.

Curators could also make some income but that would be limited to Site Adds as well. If they are going to ddvertise a Mod Pack, a Gameplay or Class/ Roleplay Theme, offer constant Support for it to more Casual Players its fine. They would need the income from adds to do that.

In short nobody makes money out of Free mods anyway so i don't see the problem.

Edited by Guest