Nexus ending or are modders/mods just leaving Nexus?

rinks3611

Open Source philosophy should be adopted by everyone for the sake of creativity and evolution of Mods.

I believe too many Authors think like: I created this, bask before my accomplishment. Yeah ok. Nobody doubts that, we all appreciate it, there might some Entitled users, but nobody has to leave you Offerings so you can feel the appreciation. The funny thing its mostly always with Bethesda Assets. Never saw Coders and Open Source developers think like that. I don't know, maybe its a recently Adult/ 18, Post Teenage Period type of thing...

Now in regards to Collections. I don't see how Nexus would make money out of Mods from the works of others except Adds and pretty much everything that makes Nexus income to be able to even Host this Site. Without that there wouldn't be such a massive Mod Hosting Platform to begin with.

Curators could also make some income but that would be limited to Site Adds as well. If they are going to ddvertise a Mod Pack, a Gameplay or Class/ Roleplay Theme, offer constant Support for it to more Casual Players its fine. They would need the income from adds to do that.

In short nobody makes money out of Free mods anyway so i don't see the problem.

Wow, you're insulting the heck out of mod authors in every one of your posts while demanding that they continue to make mods for you

I see a lot of PROJECTION.

Try making a few mods, and see how difficult it can be, working with the Bethesda CK and just when you're about done making some important changes, the CK crashes on you and you lose 8 hours of work and have to start over, try creating textures, or spending weeks making meshes and adding animations, voice work, sound files etc, then just let people take your mods, and modify them, and any assets YOU MADE, and have users treat you terribly, and have it happen over and over again and see how you eventually feel about it, and how you'll start to see just why mod authors just quit, or burn out, or get an attitude when they get treated by people who think the Mod Author OWES them mods and that the Mod Authors "should allow anybody to modify or edit the mods, or make them Open Source", and should put up with the verbal abuse because the entitled users consider verbal abuse to be "Criticism" and "Helping to improve" a mod.

BTW, you won't be making a few mods right away, first you'll spend a few weeks, or maybe even a few months walking through numerous tutorials, and doing them over and over and over again because you get to a certain step, and it always goes wrong for some reason, until you realize there was a typo in the tutorial, and the author is long gone and unreachable.

Your post have been nothing but negative towards mod authors, but at least you've given plenty of endorsements, or is that what you consider "making an offering"?

BTW, if a COUPLE of Mod Authors are doing that (That you mentioned), that does NOT equal ALL Mod Authors.

You really should try to walk in their shoes for once instead of seeing them as the Enemy.

I've been on both sides, just being a user was a heck of a lot easier than being a modder.

I had one person downvote/one star (back when you could) ALL of my mods just because he disagreed with me on the Old Bethesda Forum, and it was something really stupid we disagreed on, and didn't warrant having all my mods one-starred, but apparently the rule is "A mod author should be seen and not heard" it seems, "You had a different opinion than me? ONE-STAR! DOWNVOTE! UNENDORSED!!!"

I make my mods for myself, and I figure "What the heck, maybe somebody else will like them", so I uploaded them.

You have this false narrative that ALL Mod Authors are looking for Glory and Fame and Worship, and that couldn't be further from the truth, while you make sure to say "SOME users" when you mention anything negative about users.

The mod authors I know are very nice, kind, and humble people

I'm not sure you're seeing the irony of your posts.

More often than not, these "Make mods free/open source" requests are from people who don't/can't/won't contribute, and just want to guarantee that other people can step in and make sure mods are always updated and available to them

Also, some modders leave, not because they want to keep their "Glory", but because they

1. DIED

2. Finished College

3. Got Married

4. Had Kids

5. Have a life outside of modding, they're not slaves chained to a desk who have to keep churning out mods to the masses.

There's about 300,000 people on this site who have made mods. Being able to point to a few jerks means nothing.

Also, Nexus employs about 18 full time staff. Their pay is generated from ads and subscriptions so there is definitely money being made.

Curators of Collections will not, if I recall correctly, be able to make money though. At least not initially.

This is turning into another pointless argument. So I will close the thread.

To close, I can assure you Nexus Mods is not "ending". It was sad to see a few author choosing to leave recently, my hope is that a good number of them will return in future once the dust settles.