Suggestion: Integrate network monitoring page, message for service operability status during perceived outages

m661

I am sure most here have noticed the recent Vortex service outages on the end of Nexus itself in which users were not able to login or appeared logout of Vortex or the site. I am wondering as a someone that dabbles daily in enterprise datacentre hosting myself would it not be beneficial to make a limited status page aka heartbeat monitor for services?

The Cloudflare CDN message that a service can't be reached is most times misleading and it does not work all the time from own corporate experience. Furthermore Vortex does not really throw up any meaningful error message itself which means you can only guess what is going on. While there are public non affiliated services like downdetector, is it down or is it just me they do not handle communication between applications either.

I am not suggesting a full blown NOC heartbeat monitoring service just something simple as Site unreachable, Connection to user database interrupted please try again later. Or even more simple a we are experiencing technical difficulty pop-up or banner.

I have no idea if this suggestion has been made before or rejected as the forum search function ironically is throwing up a generic error 500 message :smile:

I'm also in favour of a status page, but it's a bit more challenging to create than it sounds. If our entire infrastructure is saturated then it's possible ant status page would also go down.

I'm not saying it can't be done but we need to do it in a way where it would provide useful info most of the time.

I understand that the infrastructure can be a challenge. We use a small VPS at a different supllier in a different country for the status monitoring page.
There are of course also commercially available products but that depends on the infrastructure that has been deployed to some degree and honestly most times these things only take a one time development, deployment so cost for a commercial products most times does not weight up to inhouse solutions.

Granted without mirroring or high availability clustering and floating IP's there is still a change the status page also can go down but still the change of two seperate datacenters going down is very small and it should be combined with a alert mail, sms or chat towards network admins in case the status page also goes down.

At any case thank you for your reply and maybe in the future we can look forward to some kind of solution.