Why all the SW prequel hate?

OpheliaNeoma

Just you wait for the new star wars, its going back to its roots with way less cgi, maybe even no cgi at all.

i hated the sequels because it was to aimed at children when the originals where darker in the feel of the movie. It had attitude and a mind of its own.

Edited by Thor.

Link is to a really detailed description of where the second prequel went wrong, and what Lucas could done to fix it, and make it a truly awesome movie. It's worth a watch, and another was made for the first movie if you desire to find it.

They were just bad movies, the story was riddled with plot holes, the dialogue was atrocious, the humour was juvenile, actors were constrained by the constant use of green screens, the pacing was terrible, he turned the Jedi into emotionless drones, he turned the greatest cinema villain of all time into a whiny teenager and constantly resorted to racial stereotypes. The movies were universally panned and with good reason, it wasn't just fans of the originals that hated them. Look at what they've done with Star Trek, they've turned a stale franchise right around, has someone competent been given the job of the doing the prequels things would have been very different. In the 70s Lucas was young hungry filmmaker surrounded by talented people willing to chip in and where need be argue with him, fast forward to Episode One and you've Lucas chugging at coffee in front of a green screen surrounded by sycophants too scared to say a word against his holiness.

If you've got the DVD or Blu Ray of Episode One watch the "Making of", look at Lucas when he's shown the final product for the first time, you can see on his face that he knew it was bad.

It's kinda a subjective viewpoint when age is concerned, i'm guessing the OP is quite young and been brought watching films like the prequels where me and others (I turned 30 yesterday) were raised on the original films so obviously we will feel a bit of resent towards the new ones because they did not have the same impact as the old ones.

I do enjoy watching the prequels to some extent but they do drag on and go off on irrelevant tangents which have nothing to do with the story, the cliche underlying love story really pisses me off in any film but they insist of sticking them in everywhere so shoving it in my face in ep.2 and 3 frustrated me to say the least. As Jim said they turned the ultimate film villain (look it up an any poll) into a moaning entitled prick who I just want to punch in the face.

Podracing.....no.

Pod racing made the trilogy a joke, the thing with star wars it should do been allot darker, they could of made Pod racing, but with a sinister feel to it. Something like Kotor and the death matches. :dance:

What do you have against the podracing?

Except for the part where podracing just doesn't fit within the scope of the movie. Even if Tatooine were a backwater planet, it would still have its share of traders and merchants, so the ship they used could have simply been sold for enough money to buy the kid and book passage on one of those trading vessels to... somewhere that took republic credits. Or any number of other ways to go forward. It's like this whole other subplot that only exists for the purpose of turning into a series of toys and a videogame. Leading back into that whole notion where the starwars prequels were aimed solely at a child audience... poop jokes included.

It doesn't matter how good the CGI is, or how fun the sequence is... What matters when you're dealing with a movie that people care about is the overall significance of that sequence within the greater part.

It's still one of my favorite aspects of the entire Star Wars universe, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8FVL46rZm0'>the game was incredibly fun as well. Better than DroidWorks.

What it did do was give some background and character to the setting, without these smaller extra things then it would just be incredibly dull and linear. That reason alone is enough to keep me from the Indiana Jones boredomfest.

Something like Kotor and the death matches. :dance:

I've only played KOTOR:II and it was one of the most boring games I've ever played. I do like games that are more story based, but I think Myst spoiled me with good story and gameplay (for it's kind of game) while KOTOR2, I was told was one of the best games of all time by the guy at Gamestop, was nothing but just a huge disappointment. I grew up with Dark Forces and it's sequels, Battlefront, Ep. 1 Racer, and DroidWorks, so I was expecting the game to be somewhat fun.

Like CoD, Zelda, Final Fantasy and Uncharted, I can't get into the stories and background of those because of the gameplay being so unappealing and the opposite of fun. That's why I'm such a big Bethesda fan - They can make games with great story, settings and backgrounds along with gameplay that is just right (or modular enough to tweak to your own liking) and I'm not just attributing these traits to TES and Fallout. Dishonored and RAGE, two games they published that are still very good and leave me wanting more. I haven't played any other series or any of the old Beth sports games except Brink, and that was just a huge failure.

But, like I've stated before, this is all my opinion. Feel free to call me out on this, but I doubt I'll change my mind.

Edited by SgtHighwaters

It's an age thing as well I think, you weren't born until the mid 90s so I can see why the SW prequels would have been appealing to you and countless other of your age. I have known it to be quite common when remakes are done from old films and the devide of those who like and don't them are subjective due to age, regardless of content.

Edited by Ironman5000