"direct .kf import not supported"?

Hi, I'm trying to make animations for Oblivion. I have everything set up, using Blender 2.49, importing .nif files works, but not importing .kf files, despite the import button explicitly saying .kf files are supported. Importing .kf files does work in newer versions, but if I need this to work, I need to use 2.49. Title is the error message Blender spits at me.

I've not been able to find any way to fix this. Does anyone know what I can do? Thanks.

I don't know if the process changed at some more recent point, but the procedure I used and know is to always import an armature together with the KF.

I usually set out to import the "skeleton.nif" of the actor/creature I want to use the animation with as "skeleton only (parent selected)", then tag the KF file along in the import dialog.

Sadly all good documentation about the process seems to have gone lost. However, this is the next best I could find: https://blender-niftools-addon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user/features/iosettings/import.html#user-features-iosettings-import

If I need to see the "body" of the actor/creature for animating, I'll later import it as "geometry only (parent to selected)", having the skeleton armature selected prior to import.

On export it's luckily possible to export the KF directly without any of the other stuff tagging along though. You might have to do some post-export NifSkope magic to render the file usable by the game though, but that's normal procedure for every export NIF/KF alike.