Queued Crafting

Sirgallyhave

I can't imagine that this hasn't come up a few million times before, but I could find nothing in a search.

The crafting system in Skyrim is terrible. I use SkyUI and other mod interfaces to make this game somewhat playable on a PC, but there seems to be nothing available to improve the terrible crafting interfaces.

I'm looking for automation, such as crafting takes place in other games I've played, with crafting queues (cues) that allow my character to stand around what should be all available crafting equipment, within reach, all around my character... then add to the queue how many hides I want to convert to leather and leather strips, how much ore and Dwemer litter I want to convert to ingots, with a [+] button or the like to "do maximum", select all the weapons and armor I want to refine and have them refine to their best value one after the other without my having to look or press a key or click, and all the weapons and armor I want to enchant with what...

It doesn't matter, because the only point is raising my character's Smithing and Enchanting skill while I do something more interesting, such as watching the grass grow, or dusting my computer desk.

I know how to do it via the console, and raised all my skills to 100 in the console in my last game. It's unrewarding, it's cheating. A proper crafting system, such as in Runes of Magic (so probably World of Warcraft), setting up that queue takes some thought and effort, and then you can't play the game while everything gets done, so it's "real", but without the massive tedium of having to click here, then move the mouse there, click on "Ok"... it is the most tedious crafting interface I have ever seen.

Does anyone know of a mod that changes the terrible default Skyrime crafting interfaces into a sensible combined crafting interface with the ability to set queues to eliminate endless hours of tedium?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

player.setav Enchanting 100

player.setav Smithing 100

I know, I know, cheating is bad and it ''breaks immersion'' yadda yadda yadda.

But I don't plan to do the boring grinding of skills I can't train while also enjoying it (i.e. destruction or weapons, stuff like that) EVERY DAMN TIME I create a new character.

Do you ?

Edited by Gerandirr

player.setav Enchanting 100

player.setav Smithing 100

I know, I know, cheating is bad and it ''breaks immersion'' yadda yadda yadda.

But I don't plan to do the boring grinding of skills I can't train while also enjoying it (i.e. destruction or weapons, stuff like that) EVERY DAMN TIME I create a new character.

Do you ?

Thanks for your response, and I'm glad to see you repenting for your sins of immersion breaking up-front before getting jumped by any Immersion Purists (in Skyrim? I've never figured out how to get immersed with talking lizards, cats and dragons. It's like trying to get "immersed" in a Bugs Bunny cartoon; though the graphics are admittedly better in Skyrim, sometimes). lol, definitely not. I didn't grind much of anything on my first character, though I used:

save "load this if things screw up"
player.setlevel 1
player.setav <skill> 0
player.setav <skill>skilladvance 0
player.advskill <skill> 3746
It comes from the UESP Wiki here (replace <skill> with an actual skill name from above on the same page), which I used prior to Skyrim 1.9, to level up and get perks from advancing skills to 100 (and without using incPCS <skill>, because it's tedious, it only allows one level up per skill per command), instead of just setting the level of skills to 100 using setav, which doesn't use the game mechanics to provide level-ups/perks as advskill does.

I found leveling up the console way on my first character to be boring and unrewarding, though it's difficult to find games that are entertaining to me now at age 49, it's mostly over-simplified kid's stuff in both interfaces and "lore", and ridiculous "immersion" (with talking cats, lizards and dragons, and flames and whatnot coming out of hands, people are somehow getting immersed? I don't do acid anymore either... I don't even smoke pot anymore, so it's a bit difficult to get "immersed" in Skyrim seriously) or is not even technical, just lame, console commands that aren't worthy of a 1985 DOS batch file, with no conditional testing ("if") or even goto commands.

I need real adults making real mods for people who are over age 20, preferably over age 30, to make any game I play worthy of my attention... and still only for fun, not to take anything seriously.

I craft armor, or, to avoid mind-numbing mat[erial] collecting and really bad audio around crafting in Skyrim, just player.additem it all (am tired of player.additem just to create all the gear, so use batch files) from Brokefoot's UNP Mashup Compilation of armor, and armor that comes from the Temptress Race mod.

Between the two of those I can get 13 pieces of gear dual enchanted (after doing a help command in the console to get the codes to add every "extreme" piece of smithing gear in the game via player.additem) gear on my character and followers with the Mashup and Temptress sets, plus a Bandana of Skyrim and the Dread Armor Circlet of Regeneration from Reapers The Dark Tower, and a way overpowered necklace from that mod as well, that I can't remember the name of, or what it does. The "Dread" items from the Dark Tower have four or six enchantments per, but I always give the necklace to my main follower, Vilja.

The Dandelion set from the Mashup gives Bra, Gauntlets, Limb Alt, Panties, Scrap Plates, Stocking, Khantu's Belt Skirt and Vicky's Body Straps (latter two in the Mashup under a different category, Dandelion is Orcish, not that it looks it, I can't remember what Khantu's or Vicky's sets are under). Temptress Race mod adds Temptress Shirt Alt (provides a collar to cover neck seams, though you can use the standard Temptress Shirt and a Temptress Collar instead to get two items, but you then lose your necklace... and yes I know about mods to fix neck seams and use one that works fine), Temptress Bracers, Temptress Arm Bands, Temptress Shorts (will replace Dandelion Panties, either/or), Temptress Leg Straps, Temptress Belt, and Shrouded Boots from DB disenchanted to make your own Muffled + whatever boots from whatever boots/shoes you prefer.

All that gear can go on one character, plus a bandana from Bandanas of Skyrim that also takes a dual enchant, plus dual enchanted Diamond Necklace and Diamond Ring, and the (Dread) Circlet of Regeneration goes over the dual-enchanted bandana. Then add a Dragonbone bow and sword.

That's a lot of gear per character and follower, that anyone can create with player.additem commands in a batch file for their character and however many followers. But there's no way to batch up the refining or enchanting all that gear and it's another need for a proper crafting interface, if it's possible.

Even with a Skyrim console batch file to player.additem all of the usual gear for my character, Vilja, Cerwiden and often Amanda from Girls of Skyrim for extra decoration as a follower (I often don't give her any weapons, she's just there as scenery), or all the Girls of Skyrim to fight the "civil war" that is oddly not happening anywhere (not much immersion around that either without a mod) and Dragonborn / Alduin, really, that's it? Alduin is the point of being basically the former USSR and NATO combined, in Skyrim, that one dragon that isn't even hard to beat without "cheating"?

I don't care about "cheating" when it's nonsense and Skyrim is mostly a nonsensical game (if one tries to take it seriously... I don't). Without Vilja and some other mods I use, I would never have finished half of my first game with my first character, and without all the interface mods, I wouldn't have been able to tolerate playing it for more than a few hours on a real computer. (I'm 49, I'm not about to run out to buy an XBox or Playstation.)

Manually refining and enchanting all of that gear, just for my character, Vilja, Cerwiden and Amanda is a major load of mindless tedium, with the terrible, separate crafting interfaces in Skyrim including stations to create mats such as leather.

I'm looking for one interface for refining and enchanting that allows me to select multiple pieces of gear (or hit one button for "all" that can be refined and/or enchanted) to refine then enchant (or vice versa) everything in a queue, with a couple of checkboxes on the interface to make it do what we want, such as "Use best soul gems?" (if not checked use the worst ones, for leveling) and "Create mats?"

If I set the crafting interface to refine everything in my inventory and don't have enough iron ingots, leather, linen wraps or whatever, don't stop the game, don't interrupt me to tell me that a game has run out of fake mats that I don't have a care about. Don't make me go into the console to player.additem the fake mats necessary to refine whatever, just do it in the mod, create whatever mats the game happens to need.

Even go ahead and use ones in my inventory. If there are pelts in my inventory, use them (behind the scenes, fake it) to create leather or leather strips without bothering me with a tanning rack, make ingots from ore without bothering me with a smelter, and if I don't have enough filled petty soul gems to add the same "whatever" enchantment to every weapon, then the same "other whatever" enchantment to every piece of gear I looted from the last couple/three dungeons, just player.additem filled petty soul gems for me, instead of stopping crafting/leveling to make me create filled petty soul gems with a manual player.additem command.

I'm tired of the console, it's also tedious, though it certainly beats having to run all over a fake world to find fake mats.

A checkbox on a proper batch crafting interface, "Create mats?", could be checked off for those who enjoy using the console, or running all over a fake world to collect fake materials to make things "real".

The interface shouldn't need anything regarding a tanning rack, smelter, or wood chopping block. The objective is to create gear and refine/enchant it, in batches, with as few hassles as possible. The intermediate steps of chopping firewood, turning hides into leather and leather strips, smelting ore into ingots, is not worthy of the attention of NPCs in Skyrim, let alone is it worthy of the attention of an actual human being.

[Chopping blocks are still all over the game for those who use mods that require firewood to create "real fake" campfires and whatever else. All of the tedious crafting gear would still be all over Skyrim for anyone to use, plus the ability to not install this all-in-one Better Crafting mod, if it exists.] And the game's interface is so terrible that it doesn't even allow batches of mats to be created, like selecting all ore and Dwemer garbage to create all ingots in one shot. It's all one by one (and with very annoying audio) when it shouldn't even be in the face of any human being, in my opinion.

I don't care if the graphic for "all crafting stations combined" / Better Crafting (press <E> to use a proper, combined, batch interface that makes sense) is a Dwemer piston, or a pile of dirt. The graphic is irrelevant. The ability to select multiple items to batch up refining and enchanting, and to create mats behind the scenes with no annoying tedium or audio, is all that matters to me. Though I can think of a few items in the game that would make for decent objects/graphics for an all-in-one crafting station.

Whatever it is it has to allow multiple and easy selection of items to be refined and enchanted, in batches, with no hassles and some simple options to allow it to operate as intelligently as the player wants the system to operate. Don't use all my grand soul gems if I'm leveling my enchanting, use (and/or create) the crappy ones. Don't use the crappy soul gems when I'm enchanting gear for use.

That's two controls on the interface, checkboxes "Use best soul gems?" and "Create mats?" to create firewood, ingots, linen wrap, vampire noses, mammoth butts, filled soul gems... whatever it takes to create what I want to create, refine and enchant, instantly, with one interface, just do it, enter the console commands for me instead of making me do it myself.

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. It's the kind of thing I'd imagine a lot of Skyrim players are looking for and it'd go nicely in the BBLS mod, Underground Bathhouse mod, where players are crafting mats one by one, and making each piece of gear one by one, with really bad audio.

We're supposed to be the Thane of Everywhere, Dragonborn slayer of Alduin, saver of the world, starter, main instrument/winner of the civil war, protector and/or assassin of everyone from everything. We go into unspeakable places to do unspeakable things for the people of Skyrim... only to have to chop our own wood and tan our own hides, one by one?

This is a grave injustice to the Dovahkiin for the service s/he has provided to Skyrim and Solstheim. The Dovahkiin deserves more. My peace has been writ. :smile: