Custom Races in the eyes of NPCs?

Lex3x

Okay, this may or may not be a stupid question, but it's been on my mind for a while and despite my best efforts, I can't find an answer anywhere!

Custom races. I've never used any, mainly because I'm so reserved on how the NPCs are going to react to my character. I'm assuming that during the mod creation, the creator of said mod(s) must choose which race is the default for an NPC recognizing you as such?

For example, if I played a custom "snow elf" race, the modder could choose to make NPC's recognize you as a high elf, or other type of elf.

Or if I played a specially modified Khajit based race, the NPC's would react to you as a Khajit.

I've looked in the description of a few mod races I might be interested in, but I never see mention of a thing like this. (Probably because I'm the only idiot who cares xD)

I was just wondering, from anyone who uses any kind of custom races, how do the NPCs react to you? One easy way, I imagine, is to simply try out the race and see what Hadvar has to say about you as a prisoner, but I didn't want to go downloading a bunch of races and testing that out just to find out that everything would see me as a nord by default or something. I already have a nord character, so I'm kind of looking to avoid any race that is seen as a nord.

It may not be a huge difference in gameplay, but it's just fun to see how the NPCs react to different races, and all I've ever played so far is a nord or a redguard.

Anywho, if anyone has any experience / knowhow on this matter, please let me know! Sorry for the stupid question. n_n;

Edited by LexiRexi

It doesn't work the way you think. Some of the default game quests, scripts, and dialogue are conditioned to be race specific, but they will only cover default game races. If you are playing a custom race that is not recognized as one of the default game races, there may be game breaking issues. So each of those race specific dialogue or quests need to be edited with proper conditions to accommodate custom races in general (which is when the player's race is returned as being none of the default game races)--this is what the 'Race Compatibility' mod does. The custom race modder can also sort through all of the dialogue, scripts, and quests with race specific conditions to edit them to accommodate the custom race added by the mod (I know of no custom race mod that has done this, but I haven't tried all the custom race mods out there. In fact only a few) which, incidentally, will likely generate a lot of conflict with other mods. But you cannot choose to have a custom race recognized as a default game races.

Edited by ripple

It doesn't work the way you think. Some of the default game quests, scripts, and dialogue are conditioned to be race specific, but they will only cover default game races. If you are playing a custom race that is not recognized as one of the default game races, there may be game breaking issues. So each of those race specific dialogue or quests need to be edited with proper conditions to accommodate custom races in general (which is when the player's race is returned as being none of the default game races)--this is what the 'Race Compatibility' mod does. The custom race modder can also sort through all of the dialogue, scripts, and quests with race specific conditions to edit them to accommodate the custom race added by the mod (I know of no custom race mod that has done this, but I haven't tried all the custom race mods out there. In fact only a few) which, incidentally, will likely generate a lot of conflict with other mods. But you cannot choose to have a custom race recognized as a default game races.

I see! I honestly didn't know -what- to think about how that sort of thing works. xD As I said, I'm no modder, so I wasn't sure if it was just something I would have to overlook or not. It would be nice if we could choose which race to be recognized as, or if most mods made it so that they entered a custom line of text where each NPC refers to you as whatever race you are. Unfortunately, I would probably still feel as though something were "broken" for me, when I have to read things through subtitles, but not hear the voices through the game itself.

Ah well, thanks for the answer! Guess I'll just have to stick with my imagination if I end up using any custom races. xP