Upgrade Recommendations

Hello all,

You guys helped me with choosing parts for my custom build a few years back, and I was hoping for some advice on which components to upgrade/expand on, if any. This is a PC I want to keep "current" for as long as I can, and with it coming up on about 3 years old, now, I was wondering if anything needed to be changed in order to do that. Currently, it can handle basically everything I throw at it; fully modded Skyrim and Dragon Age: Inquisition with ENBs run at max settings without any hiccups, and I want to keep it that way as new titles come out in the near future (IE: DA4 and TES6, whenever the devs decide to publish them).

I'm not interested in having the absolute best of everything, though, and I don't have to have the latest and greatest of components the minute they come out.

So here's what I've got:

• Case: Phanteks PH-EC416PSTG Eclipse P400S Silent Edition with Tempered Glass
  • Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-P
  • PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W
  • CPU: Intel i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
  • Monitor: DELL S2340M 1920x1080p, 23"

I have a few slots open on my motherboard, still, namely two more RAM slots and another for a second SSD.

I've also been looking into better monitors, but I can't seem to find any that aren't horrendously overpriced and/or have reviews that make me think twice about getting one.

Any recommendations are welcome and appreciated! :smile:

Think I might be tempted to go scouting for a new vid card. 3060ti, 3070, or better. Yeah, they ain't cheap, but, the performance jump going from my 1060, to my 3070, was AMAZING. Almost triple the performance...... The 30 series cards are head and shoulders above the earlier iterations.

Think I might be tempted to go scouting for a new vid card. 3060ti, 3070, or better. Yeah, they ain't cheap, but, the performance jump going from my 1060, to my 3070, was AMAZING. Almost triple the performance...... The 30 series cards are head and shoulders above the earlier iterations.

Phew, "ain't cheap" indeed. o_O I'll have to save up for an upgrade like that. :wacko:

Any chance I'd need to upgrade my PSU to go with it? Newegg's power calculator tells me I basically only use around half capacity right now, and somewhere around 400W if I upgraded to the 3070, but I want to make sure there's enough under load, of course.

See what the requirements are for the card you want to buy, and make sure your power supply puts out MORE than that. Output degrades over time, some faster than others..... so you want some 'padding' in the output.

My 3070 wanted a 600 watt PSU, I installed a 700 watt. I should be golden for at least a couple years. :D Although, I AM considering adding more ram...... or maybe another M2 drive...... YeGads, it never ends. :D

See what the requirements are for the card you want to buy, and make sure your power supply puts out MORE than that. Output degrades over time, some faster than others..... so you want some 'padding' in the output.

My 3070 wanted a 600 watt PSU, I installed a 700 watt. I should be golden for at least a couple years. :D Although, I AM considering adding more ram...... or maybe another M2 drive...... YeGads, it never ends. :D

Never ends, indeed. XD I had been thinking about an 850W, anyway. Might just upgrade that and my RAM first and hope the card prices come down a little in the next year.

Maybe. Possibly. One can hope, right?

Never ends, indeed. XD I had been thinking about an 850W, anyway. Might just upgrade that and my RAM first and hope the card prices come down a little in the next year.

Maybe. Possibly. One can hope, right?

Well, now the government is talking about banning imports of some material or other, that is a requirement for chip making..... and Intel, and various other manufacturers are whining about how it will make the chip shortage worse. Considering that very few, if any at all, chips are actually manufactured here in the states, I don't see the relationship there... but hey, any excuse for the corporations to gouge us some more.

At this point, we can't even GET video cards at work.... They are just nowhere to be found. I thought it was getting better, but, it appears not.