The "Last" Dragonborn?

AurianaValoria1

I'd have to say that I had just assumed that the Dovahkiin was the first of the new line of Emperor's, that being his/her fairly obvious career path. Talos being the God of war means someone's going to have to lead the troops to restore his worship and the Gods' favoured method of rule, the semi-divine Imperial line, also providing the necessary lineage to guard against future world shattering disasters.

But the presence of dragons doesn't seem like a prerequisite for a Dragonborn to exist so what exactly would dictate the cycle or would it be random?

Ultimately, the Scrolls will dictate the cycle.

Anyway, In the event that Alduin wins, he doesn't destroy the world. He eats it. The world keeps on trucking, in a giant dragon belly.

The cycle of Alduin is something totally different than, say, Dagoth Ur or Mehrunes Dagon. Those two are forces seeking the destruction of the current Kalpa, whereas Alduin is an instrument for the progression to the next. Exactly what a Kalpa is is still kind of sketchy, but it seems to have something to do with the laws of time...

Ultimately, the Scrolls will dictate the cycle.

The scrolls do not dictate anything, merely foretell possibilities

Anyway, In the event that Alduin wins, he doesn't destroy the world. He eats it. The world keeps on trucking, in a giant dragon belly.

Actually, the worlds Alduin eats dies. The gods make a new one, but the old does not continue inside Alduin.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

Actually, the worlds Alduin eats dies. The gods make a new one, but the old does not continue inside Alduin.

Indeed you are right, I apparently missed the whole 'nothing will survive' part.

As for the Scrolls, however, their relationship with causality is dubious at the best of times. They record everything that has, could have been, is or could be, depending on who reads them and their own temperament. Still, by 'The Scrolls will decide' I meant it less literally (the Scrolls, to the best of our knowledge, are not sapient) and more in terms of the Elder Scrolls role in the dictation of prophesy. The simple fact that they record everything that CAN happen means that the conditions for Alduin's return are already in there somewhere. All that is needed is someone with the right Scroll, at the right time, probably in the right place, and maybe even after eating the right breakfast to actually be able to pull the prophesy from their metaphysical pages.

I took the last slice of pizza last night.

That doesn't mean there's no more pizza in the world.

In Skyrim, even if your character is the "last dragonborn", first, it never mattered if there was a dragonborn or not up till TES V, becasue you couldn't be one anyway. So there's no gameplay loss at all. Second, your character didn;t even know it for years and years and years years, so being dragonborn in and of itself was nothing really special until the correct set of events came up.

It's a neat little package, all conclusive and meaningless if never opened again. There will be no impact one way or the other for future TES games expect for the books you'll read in them

If you did in fact take the last slice of pizza, then yes, that would mean there is no more pizza in the world. If you ate the last of your pizza, then no, you didn't necessarily eat the last pizza in the world... though you could/may have.

However, pizza is a bit more common than the Dragonborn so... yeah, you could be the last one to ever occur again. That is possible.

Really, whether you're the last to ever appear again and the impact it would have falls squarely on the makers of Skyrim. It could mean nothing, it could mean a lot.

If you did in fact take the last slice of pizza, then yes, that would mean there is no more pizza in the world. If you ate the last of your pizza, then no, you didn't necessarily eat the last pizza in the world... though you could/may have.

However, pizza is a bit more common than the Dragonborn so... yeah, you could be the last one to ever occur again. That is possible.

Really, whether you're the last to ever appear again and the impact it would have falls squarely on the makers of Skyrim. It could mean nothing, it could mean a lot.

lol. Gamers. Never ones to miss splitting a hair, eh?

I used pizza as an example of what "the last" can mean. And you have proven my point: it is completely a matter of perception.

But the presence or absence of a Dragonborn only matters from a gameplay and narrative standpoint. Tamriel, Nirn, Mundus...all still 'work' without the Dragonborn. The Dragonborn is a plot device that the chroniclers of the world can write in and out. The last Dragonborn ever? The last one of this Era? The last of the Septim Dragonborns (the lusty argonian maid takes on a higher level of importance on this one, maybe a naughty Martin)? Was the prophecy wrong??

That's up to them and they can do it

Edited by Riprock