Ghoul reskin problem

laclongquan

I am running into trouble reskinning ghoul, PLEASE HALP~

Long story short, I am trying to change skin (and head) of hostile wild ghoul (not NPC) into normal skin tone.

So I try copypasta nile body replacer femaleupperbody.nif file onto ghoul mesh creatures\ghoul\ folder

ghoulvariant.nif

ghoularmored.nif

glowingone.nif

feralghoul.nif

And copypasta 3 dds file in nile 16 armor mod, textures\female folder onto textures\creatures\ghoulferal files, rename it as

feralghoul.dds

feralghoul_n.dds

feralghoul_sk.dds

But the ghouls that get replaced is glowing weirdly, and body not completed (certain part of body is lacking and stretching, like the hand and head parts)

1. Which file is missing?

2. How do I make them has heads? I mean, headless or holes would be fine (as their hands are currently handless) but the head part gets stretched which would be total no go.

Thank you.

Note: this is a personal use and not even completed yet.

Edited by laclongquan

I get reminded about skeleton.nif

So I get the nif file from characters folder in F3 ragdoll no collision version mod and put it alongside with 4 nif files

VOILA! No more stretching head part.

Now the ghouls are black skin with (vanilla) underwear, headless and handless.

I did take the _n.dds, copypasta and rename them to _g.dds so probabbly that's why no more glowing.

Problem is: they dont seem to have skin (dds) on. the handfemale files and headhuman dds file taken from ghoul change into flesh mod also doesnt seem to work (handless and headless), probabbly because wrong name?

So the next questions are:

3. what's the correct name of body, head and hand files

Have you opened the game .bsa file to see how the ghoul textures are packaged?

Have you looked at any of the available ghoul texture packs to see how they are packaged?

This is the one I use: BEWARE OF GIRL Ghoulishly Gross Skin Replacement Type 3 at Fallout 3 Nexus

I dont know how to unpack and I dont plan to learn, so no on that specific option.

I did look at various ghoul mod and replacer mod, which is why I know to change to those names and folders.

The ghoul mod that work on ghoul NPC doesnt help because the hostile wild ghoul use their own specific folders, not characters folder. And when I copypasta data from other mod (in this case ghoul turn to flesh mod) it doesnt active. I guess because they're wrong names but dont know correct ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I have abandoned Fallout 3 and return to FNV/TTW. As such I change to mod the ghouls in FNV engine...

Em... currently, the F3 wild ghoul skin are smooth/normal, not horribly ghoulish as design. But the face bone still look ghouls. The FNV ghouls (say, outside of repconn test site) are headless and handless, though do have feet, and too sparkling.

i am uncertain how to continue~

Edited by laclongquan

• 9 months later...

Ehm~ Currently I was replacing successfully the bodies of ghouls with bodies of HH tribals. Use the waking cloud outfit for ghoul shirt. Replacing the skeleton with another, too.

IT work for some. Headless, so shoot them in the head is out~ Handless, but not much of a problem. The skin is too white but frankly acceptable under the circumstance.

Then I turn to BnB. No problem so far.

Then I use Feral Ghoul Armor Pack mod, which change ghouls into wearing lots of armors. Generally I approve, because I dont have to count their ribbones any more...

But then it start to affect ghouls in my TTW game. To the point where it can corrupt save games unrepairably (which avoid by reload to before it start to affect and play from there.) So I have to uncheck my ghoul replacer mod anywhere there's lot of ghoul.

Side note, FGAP mod doesnt lead to that bug in DUst game. So I suspect it's a bad combo of my replacer and TTW rather than FGAP.

I think the problem is FGAP ghouls armors are all nifskoped to ghoul skeleton (which is different than BnB). They designed with FNV vanilla ghoul in mind so Dust and other TC projects dont have problem with it. But TTW has to use F3 ghouls which has separate skeleton (I think). So it become like that whenever a mix of spawns with F3 ghoul bodies but FGAP armors. Unsure how to fix that incompat for now.

Current method is to uncheck flesh ghoul in cells that contain too many F3 ghouls.

Edited by laclongquan