Difficulty.GDA

nerasw

If you look at the source spreadsheet for the GDA (installed with the toolset), you can see a developer note on that column head which reads:

'Any damage past this threshold gets scaled by rank. Usually down. Suggest value of 1 for Casual difficulty on Consoles.'

The difficulty.xls spreadsheet is in the Source/2DA folder.

1926794-1639162340.jpg

See also the 'difficulty' page from DAO: The Missing Manual (which, IIRC, was compiled by a Bioware dev, though I may be misrembering that attribution... my brain doesn't function very well these days).

Edited by theskymoves

If you look at the source spreadsheet for the GDA (installed with the toolset), you can see a developer note on that column head which reads:

'Any damage past this threshold gets scaled by rank. Usually down. Suggest value of 1 for Casual difficulty on Consoles.'

The difficulty.xls spreadsheet is in the Source/2DA folder.

1926794-1639162340.jpg

See also the 'difficulty' page from DAO: The Missing Manual (which, IIRC, was compiled by a Bioware dev, though I may be misrembering that attribution... my brain doesn't function very well these days).thanks for reply!

thanks for reply!!! :thumbsup:

but actually i saw those docs and page, but still wanna know what is that scaling modifier, is threshold works as flat number (for ex: if threshold = 16 -> any dmg above 16 downscales? then how much?) or how? true mystery of old games :ninja:

There's a modifier called "damage scale" (found in autoscale.gda) which is used to modify the attack damage done by a creature based on their rank. In vanilla game only elite bosses have a damage scale factor greater than 1 - their attack damage is calculated normally then is multiplied by 1.5 (so an elite boss skeleton does a lot more damage than a normal-ranked skeleton). Weak/critter enemies have multipliers less than 1 so they do less damage.

But this damage scale factor only kicks in if the attack damage is greater than the threshold value (DmgScalingThresh). So on Nightmare if an elite boss does less than 16 damage, this 16 will not be multiplied by 1.5. Or if a weak enemy deals less than 16 damage, this 16 will not be multiplied by 0.5. Basically it means, "if the damage done is too low, there is no need to modify it further by applying the attacker's rank".

Edited by DLuf