NMM compatible w Steam Workshop mods?

Anamacha

I've happily been playing Skyrim for over 100 hours via Steam w no issues, and I've gotten a few minor mods via Steam's Workshop service. Mostly stuff like item weight changes, item sorting, loud waterfalls, a few other tweaks here and there.

One things I've never really cared for in Skyrim was the UI, though, and after seeing SkyUI I wanted to give that a whirl ... and now I'm getting ready to take that plunge. I'm wondering, though, what I should do with my other mods -- are they compatible with NMM? Will they show up in there? How does NMM interact with the Steam version of Skyrim?

If there's somewhere I can go to read about this, that would be great -- I just haven't found it yet. I haven't looked that hard yet, either, I'll be honest, so if it's a n00b answer then there you go :)

thanks!

Your Steam Workshop mods will still be managed by Steam (i.e. auto-updated whenever the mod author makes a new version). They will show up in the plugins tab of NMM and you can adjust load order with them as necessary. They will not show up in the mods tab, however, and as a result you cannot uninstall them with NMM. To remove them you'll still need to use Steam.

May I make a suggestion? Any Steam mods you want to use, download, make backup copies, then unsubscribe so that Steam will no longer auto-update them. You can restore the Steam mods from the backups you made. The reason I suggest that is because whenever a mod gets updated it can make changes that won't take affect because your save game wants to keep using the old data. This discrepancy can sometimes lead to script issues, stuff not working and even the possibility of crashing the game.

Here's a tip about when you install SkyUI. It requires another mod called SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender). You have to download this manually and drop ALL the files into your Skyrim directory in your Steam folder. The way SKSE works though, you have to use skse_loader.exe to start the game, instead of starting it through Steam. This will load the game directly though, bypassing the Skyrim launcher.

This means to make sure Steam Workshop mods are updated, you have to load the Skyrim launcher and let it check them. Then close it, and start Skyrim via skse_loader.exe

Ishara, would you suggest uninstalling the Steam workshop mods and then reinstalling them via NMM where available? (I haven't found a Lighten Up mod yet, though; if I don't find one I'm sure that will b0rk my game beyond recognition because I'd rather play the game than micromanage what's in my pack :)

There is no need to do that. But really it depends on the mod and the mod author. Some upload to both Steam and other locations including the Nexus. Other authors just Steam. And still other authors, like myself, only the Nexus.

I would check the documentation with the Steam Workshop mod. If it says it is available elsewhere and updated more often at the other location, then you may wish to get it from the other source.

The only real concern is the simple fact that Steam will auto-update a mod irregardless of whether or not you are prepared for it to be updated. Small mods may not be that big of an issue, but the more complicated a mod gets the more likely something might not work with your existing saves.

I don't know what this Lighten Up mod is, but there are a few bag of holding mods here on the Nexus. I have one called Glimpse of Elsweyr, but the auto-storage features aren't setup to work with Dragonborn. My computer died and Skyrim can't run on the backup so kinda can't update it, that and not owning Dragonborn too. :P

• 11 months later...

Your Steam Workshop mods will still be managed by Steam (i.e. auto-updated whenever the mod author makes a new version). They will show up in the plugins tab of NMM and you can adjust load order with them as necessary. They will not show up in the mods tab, however, and as a result you cannot uninstall them with NMM. To remove them you'll still need to use Steam.

May I make a suggestion? Any Steam mods you want to use, download, make backup copies, then unsubscribe so that Steam will no longer auto-update them. You can restore the Steam mods from the backups you made. The reason I suggest that is because whenever a mod gets updated it can make changes that won't take affect because your save game wants to keep using the old data. This discrepancy can sometimes lead to script issues, stuff not working and even the possibility of crashing the game.

how do you make a

how do you make backup copies of steam mods?

<snip>

How does NMM interact with the Steam version of Skyrim?

Since the Steam version of Skyrim is the only version of Skyrim (that isn't pirated, which isn't supported by mods for various reasons), NMM works just fine with the Steam version.

Regarding the actual mods themselves though... Mostly just follow Ishara's advice, and try to get the Nexus versions of all your Steam Workshop mods. Obviously, not all of them will have Nexus equivalents, but if they do then uninstall the Steam one and install the Nexus one.

how do you make backup copies of steam mods?

All Steam Workshop mods are comprised of an ESP or an ESP/BSA combo. Simply locate the associated files in the Data folder and copy them elsewhere. For the Workshop mods that I did use, I would copy them to a clean directory and package them into a 7z file to install through NMM. I'd then unsubscribe from the Workshop so that there were no surprise updates.