New Video Card

I'm considering upgrading from my ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128mb to something probably in the area of either an x800xt platinum or a GeForce 6800 Ultra. Anyone here have any suggestions on which card I should buy?

From what I've heard I'm currently leaning toward the x800xt, since I've read that it plays most games better (except Doom III) than the ultra, especially with AA/AF on. I was also told by someone that the next generation of video cards is coming out sometime around December or January, although I haven't read anything about that.

Btw my system specs right now are:

AMD Athlon 64 3200 @2.2ghz

1024mb RAM

Realtec AC97 onboard audio (im probably going to get an Audigy2 ZS soon)

MSI k8t neo mobo

I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone has :)

An MSI motherboard? Ouch!

I'd stick with your 9800 Pro, which is now seen as the best mid-range gfx card out there, atleast until the next gen cards come out and the current generation becomes cheaper...then you can go for a new Mobo with PCI Express.

I'm not sure whether PCI Express MOBO's support AGP or not to be honest. I looked at the type of card you wanted to buy (which still costs a lot of money over here in the UK) and thought that, come January or February, you'd probably be able to buy a PCI Express Mobo and GFX Card for the same price as one of those cards now...

I know for sure you could buy a decent mobo and medium range GFX card with the same amount of money as a top range ATI or nVidia card.

The new PCI express motherboards will still have AGP ports... they are slowly going to get rid of AGP ports over the next few years... don't worry yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

FireGL isn't designed for gaming last time I checked, but I might be stupid.

The small amount of PCI-Express motherboards out there do NOT have AGP ports, so yes, buy a new gfx card too. I would swing towards the 6800 personally, as the x800xt is hard to get hold of and doesn't have shader model 3.

*EDIT*

Rather than reply to the post below to shamelessly get another post +1 bonus, yes it was an honest mistake, sorry. And given the current availability of ATi graphics cards, odds are pretty good on him still not having one, especially if he's gone the pci-express route as the mobos are thin on the ground too.

PS But of course you got +1 to post count for taking the mick out of me :P

Your advice might actually be useful if you'd bother reading the forum's anti-necromancy rule. I seriously doubt the initial poster is still trying to decide which video card to get, months after they posted the question.

But of course at least you got post count +1 out of this...

Archived