How many mods at a time?

maroo

To clarify, the max number of active esp, esm files is 255; that is oblivion esm and 254 others plus your save = 256.

That is the max number of available addresses for files that the game engine will recognise. If you have more than that any past 256 will be ignored.

Buddah

Buddah

Does that mean you could in theory have hundreds of other mods unchecked with armour types that through Wrye mash/bash could be included in the leveled lists?

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm not able to check atm, but I run quite a lot of mods, although in Morrowind's Case many of them are texture updates that aren't actual mods.

What I'd like to see is a combined Balance mod, since there are a few that I really like, but can no longer keep track of the changes. Especially when I don't know what was changed by TR, ROHT, MCA and other large and fun mods.

• 11 months later...

Buddah

Does that mean you could in theory have hundreds of other mods unchecked with armour types that through Wrye mash/bash could be included in the leveled lists?

Doesn't work that way (though I sure as hell wish it would). If you're adding something new to the game, you either need to change an ESP already there, or add a new ESP. The leveled list is just that, a list. When someone says that the items they add are "just in the list, not in the game," they mean the items aren't added into a physical game location, but rather as a probability on a body, a chest, etc.

So for example, Sandman101's HELLUVA Wicked Weapons combines a series of ESPs into a single one, but still requires you to load an enormous number of resources for the 1500+ weapons it adds to the game. That ESP must be checked, and run through leveled lists. No check, no weapons.

For what it's worth, I'm running 212 mods, not counting texture-only ones, and get crashes about once every 4 hours or so. I'm very careful to include only a few larger quest mods that change a lot of locations, and I check for incompatible mods. If you read Bethsoft's own boards, I think my experience with a fair number of mods is about average, especially with the use of such utilities as the Morrowind Code Patch, which prevents a range of corruption problems that used to bedevil saved games. But I wouldn't encourage anybody to run a lot of mods, or a small number--only to look at what they like, and get good advice in making it all work together. :)

• 2 months later...