Skyrim Windows 8 2GB crash

anrc

Hello everyone,

I have this weird issue with Skyrim on Windows 8 Pro x64.

Every time TESV.exe uses about 2GB of RAM the game crashes to desktop or freezes completely. I am using the latest version of Skyrim. Also I checked if the large address space awareness (LAA) flag was set on the TESV.exe, wich is set. When I was using Windows 7 x64 I have not had this problem. Does anyone else have this problem, and if yes do you know a way to fix it?

Best regards,

anrc

Hi Equinoxster,

thank your for your damn fast answer! I've tried a first run with it now. First thing I noticed was that Skyrim uses a lot less memory than before (about 1GB less).

I'll max everything out and have a look if it still crashes.

Thanks again,

anrc

Okay, here's my report.

I am still experiencing crashes and freezes, especially when I traveled the world for a while without fast travel. I'm pretty sure it does not happen as often as before, but it still happens.

I guess this is some kind of Windows 8 issue, or maybe my ram is damaged in some way. I'll check for that one first.

Thanks again,

anrc

//EDIT

I just started the memtest. Funny thing: when I started the memtest.exe I got a warning: "Your version of Windows limits the amount of contiguous RAM a single program can allocate" - that should NOT happen on x64, should it? What's going on here...

Edited by anrc

It is not an issue with Windows 8. Skyrim and Win 8 are perfectly compatible. I have been playing and modding on my ROG laptop using Win 8 and there is no problem, if anything Skyrim is more stable because of how Win 8 allocates resources.

If you are experiencing crashes and freezes, it is more likely mod related than anything else. Verify your cache on Steam. See if you need to update some of your mods. Run BOSS. Turn on Papyrus logging. Something is causing your problem, you just need to do a little detective work but, it has nothing to do with Windows 8.

BTW. I hate Windows 8 but use it so I can keep up with the latest software.

My system specs:

Processor: Intel i5-2500k

Memory: 12GB DDR3 RAM

Graphics: Gainward GTX460

Do you need more details?

I have been running BOSS (not sure if I did it right though). It detected 81 plugins, 18 unrecognized. One warning, no errors. I have also enabled papyrus logging, but I can't do a lot with those logs :S

//EDIT

I have tried to set the /3gb switch. No effect though. I have also been running Testlimit v5.04 (test Windows limits By Mark Russinovich - www.sysinternals.com) to check if the RAM is accessible to x86 apps. The application was able to allocate about 4050MB, which is close to 4GB. I guess the crashing issue with Skyrim is not related to the amount of memory consumed then...

Edited by anrc

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm still having the crashing issue. I've been monitoring it for a while, it's always the same pattern; once the ram usage exceeds 2048mb the game crashes or freezes.

I still think it's related to my RAM somehow. I have been running the memtest.exe that I mentioned in one of the previous posts on a windows 7 x64 computer today. While on my Windows 8 x64 I get the message "Your version of Windows limits the amount of contiguous RAM a single program can allocate" when I try to allocate more than 2048MB I can allocate up to 3428MB of ram to memtest.exe on windows 7.

Could someone who uses windows 8 x64 please try out the memtest.exe on his/her computer and tell me if he/she can allocate more than 2047MB with it?

Here's the link: http://www.chip.de/downloads/MemTest_13007829.html

Thank you in advance!

anrc

//EDIT

Looks like on windows 7 one application can handle exact 3500mb - tried with memtest.exe again. No hope on windows 8 though :S

Edited by anrc