Solid State Hard drives

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

my msi gt70 win7 prof, runs with a samsung 850 evo 1tb ssd (6 month) as primary and 840 evo (1,5 years) 1tb as secondary drive, both second hand. i'm really happy, very fast, no problems since the 840 slow down bug is solved with a bios update.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 500 GB Sata. It's pretty underused. Next time, I'm just getting a small 128 M2 card. To me, SSD is still mostly useful as a hard drive for the OS... I use a large WD Black for storage and games.

Unless you have the wads of cash for a multi terabyte SSD, this is the way to go in my opinion. SSD for loading, regular hard drive for the rest.

Unless you want a SSD for games. It matters for any online games, some slow-to-load games, etc.

Right now, a 1 TB PCI-E NVMe SSD will set you back just $330: https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=INT600P1TB&c=CJ

It's not a lot of money, but you get a lot of performance: 1.8 GB/s sequential transfer speed (10 times that of a HDD) and up to 155k IOPS (1000 times that of HDD). Two years ago, you'd have to pay 3x the price of a regular SSD for a NVM-express drive, now it's only a 20% premium. And, all in all, at $0.4/GB, it's time.

HDD are still useful for movies and cold storage, but for software the savings aren't there anymore.

Unless you want a SSD for games. It matters for any online games, some slow-to-load games, etc.

Right now, a 1 TB PCI-E NVMe SSD will set you back just $330: https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=INT600P1TB&c=CJ

It's not a lot of money, but you get a lot of performance: 1.8 GB/s sequential transfer speed (10 times that of a HDD) and up to 155k IOPS (1000 times that of HDD). Two years ago, you'd have to pay 3x the price of a regular SSD for a NVM-express drive, now it's only a 20% premium. And, all in all, at $0.4/GB, it's time.

HDD are still useful for movies and cold storage, but for software the savings aren't there anymore.

I don't see the difference yet. But I don't play online games. I have tons of RPGs and action titles, and they're all on the WD Black. I used to run them on the SSD (Samsung 850 Evo), but the lack of space drove me mad. I hated installing things a little at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a Samsung 850 EVO 2TB on order, should be able to pick it up tomorrow if all goes well. Going to be using that for my Steam, GOG and Origin game libraries and demote the 2TB HDD I currently have to media and non-critical apps. Plan on getting a 1TB M.2 SSD when I go for the next major setup upgrade, mainly depending on how much a gain Coffee Lake CPUs are over the Kaby Lake ones (got an i5-3570k), but also as mSata ones above 240GB aren't worth hunting for for the current setup.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well.. a hybrid is not rly worth the money, bit quicker, good deal for notebooks that's all.

A decent m.2 or sata ssd + a good hdd like a wd gold or cuda will do the job good enough.