Copyright rules question: is use of an xVASynth voice model 'porting'?

dvunkannon

Hi, I'm working on my first mod (for Skyrim SE) and I was considering using voice lines generated by xVASynth voice models which had been trained on voice lines from other games. Sidestepping the question of whether a voice model is a derivative work, would Nexus allow such a mod to be posted, or not? I've read the copyright and porting posts in the forum rules, and I would rather ask the question in advance than cause problems for myself later on. If you need a specific situation, imagine a mod in which something similar to the GLaDOS voice from Portal makes snarky comments as the player navigates a Dwemer ruin such as Mzulft.

As a comparison this mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60466) appears to use exactly the sounds of another game in Skyrim - that is its intended purpose.

Alternatively, this mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60801) use CD Projekt Red assets (Geralt's dialog lines) but claims they are free to use assets.

Most directly, this mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/46683) includes dialog lines generated by an xVASynth voice model of Team Fortress 2 sound assets.

While I don't mind generating discussion, I'm really just looking for a straight yes or no. Background reasoning would be helpful.

Thank you.

I'll throw out my opinions to start the discussion.

The first mod admits that is is bringing exactly the sounds of Nier Automata to Skyrim. That is as much porting as bringing an art asset. I don't know if the makers of Nier Automata gave permission to do this. Without confirmation of permission, if I were in charge I would probably ask the mod author to take this down.

The original porting rule discussion raises the possibility of a game allowing free use of its assets, but leaves it hanging whether Nexus would allow it. At the time, the question was moot. Now, we do have the example of CD Projekt Red allowing exactly this. The Geralt mod I referenced states this in its permissions section. If I were in charge, I would take the opportunity to clarify that assets from other games can be ported, if the game content owner has given explicit permission (as in this case). It would be good to link to that permitting statement, rather than just asserting that it is true.

In the case of the TF2-modeled lines, that is what they are - modeled. Those lines never existed in TF2. Further, the lines have obvious artifacts that show they are not from TF2. The parallel is closer to those mods that create high-poly replicas of figures from other games. Looking like 2B, or sounding like Scout form TF2 is not the same as porting the meshes of 2B, or the wav files of Scout.

So I would come down in favor of explicitly allowing mods that used dialog lines generated by voice models trained on lines from other games. It isn't porting. If you want to call it a derivative work that should not be allowed, that could be applied to a broad swath of content on Nexus today. I would at the same time argue that these sources have to be acknowledged.