Two problems I'm running into

DarkSpyda04

SOLVED

The first problem I've asked about a while ago but nobody posted a solution so I'll mention it a second time. When I imported a custom object, the lights in the scene did not affect this object. I don't know why this is.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/DarkSpydaIV/nolight_zpsb0875737.png

Secondly, my custom NPC's mouth glitches when talking. I ran boss, deleted the Oblivion ini file, and the problem still persists. I checked the mouth of the NPC in the construction set; nothing abnormal. This only just started happening recently. Follow this link to view the associated .GIF file in high quality. It's like the lips are sown together which is strange because again, this only started happening recently.

http://gifmaker.me/PlayFrameAnimation.php?folder=2013090221U7tVQmMVWRw9wQP7qDccXT

It definitely seems to be a problem with the digital girl head mesh because I switched the face out with an Imperials and the mouth didn't glitch. However, when I went back to the DG head the problem resurfaced. Now the only thing to figure out is why this wasn't a problem before. I know it probably has something to do with the associated files because I found myself messing around with them.

Nope, this just seems a little mindless. Truthfully I have no idea what went wrong but messing around with the files doesn't seem to be helping me. I replaced the head with an early backup that worked and I'm still seeing the glitch. If I didn't know any better I'd say the game is trolling me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44

The only thing that comes to mind is the mod being at the bottom of the load order. Running BOSS just puts it at the bottom. The mod is an .ESP that adds a custom race, implements an NPC from that race, and starts a quest based off of that NPC. Putting the mod at the top of the load order doesn't break anything nor fix anything.

I wished that'd be my AHA moment because BOSS put the mod first thing under Bashed Patch but nope, nothing. No fix. I'm starting to doubt that it has anything to do with the load order. OH GOOD GOD!! I deactivated the .ESP, reactivated the .ESP, set up a new NPC, and the problem STILL persists. I just don't get it. I delete the Oblivion ini, run boss, mess around with the load order, deactivate/reactivate the .ESP and still NOTHING :dry:

Edited by DarkSpyda04

AHA! So the lighting wasn't working because the object had no normal maps. All this time I thought normal maps were bump maps and what business does a bump map have lighting an object? Community, y u no tell me this? I also found that an object with a plain texture still won't be lit up even with a normal map. The texture needs to have some detail.

Yes, the normal map determines how the texture reflects light, so it is related to lighting. :smile:

Quick and dirty normal map is just to copy the main texture and rename it with a _n at the end of the name. Better still would be to use the Normal Map filter in GIMP. And the world-class texture artists hand-make their normal maps almost separately from the main texture.

Well I'm FAR from what you'd call a world-class texture artist. It's the reason I still stick to drawing in black & white. I'm using the NVIDIA plugin for Photoshop to generate normal maps. It works like a charm. Any help with the second problem I mentioned? I even posted an animated .GIF to help with recognizing what's wrong.

I could've sworn I'd found the problem. She had the mouth and tongue merged into one file and saving the tongue slot for the eyelashes. However, separating the mouth and tongue and removing the eyelashes didn't solve the problem. I don't know why it was fine for the first month or so but I'd say it has something to do with the head mesh despite having all the right files. What's causing the problem in particular is probably not in my field of expertise. It could quite literally be anything, even something I have not control over.

It wasn't a problem with the eyelashes - that's the thing. See, when I switch the head out it's fine but as soon as I use the DG head I get this problem. Is this just a thing between custom heads that they will glitch up after a while or do you think there could be a problem with the files themselves, as if they were done the wrong way or something? I can tell you I really enjoy the character having such a smooth face. It's really blocky-looking if I simply modify the default one.

I'm reading through the comments of everyone else who downloaded Alecu's "Digital Girl" and they all report the same occurrence of lips being stuck together when talking. I don't see any answers from the author, though. I see Alecu's still around however because a friend was added just yesterday at 9/1/13. If I had to take a guess, I'd say there's some vertex welding or something going on there. Either I could try and learn how to import a custom head and fix the problem myself or I could ask the author. It's nice to see that the user's still around, too. It makes the modding community look more lively.

Edited by DarkSpyda04

Yeah, I think that's it. The digital girl head wasn't exactly finished from a gameplay viewpoint. It had missing facial expression morph targets and I think the author stopped working on it. It still could be used as a screenshooter's resource though. If you want to try a high resolution custom head that's good enough for playing, I would suggest Throttlekitty's Head06. You may need to install this fix as well. One thing that might prevent you from completely enjoying it, though, is that it isn't compatible with the UVW map of the default Oblivion head so you would have to be picky about the textures that you'll be using on your character or NPC that use that head model.

So that's just the bottom line, eh? Can't use the DG head because it's unfinished. I heard of Head06 but didn't really look into it. It looks pretty smooth and might do nicely. The only complaint I could have is that I'd have to mess around with the face shape a little to match the NPC I was going for but that shouldn't be TOO much trouble. Seems to be an avid solution.

WAIT

Every time I try to download Head06 I get "NO FILE EXISTS FOR THIS ID". Never had this problem before but it seems to be happening with ALL files I try to download. I can't even download my own file I uploaded. It seems to just be a problem with the site. I bet it'll be fixed soon.

Edited by DarkSpyda04