Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post... And move the post, of course...

I'm looking for a bit of help with detail maps. I can see how they are used to generate older and freckled NPCs, but I was hoping to make better use of them for custom bodies and faces.

For instance, a body detail map of moles that can be added as a variant, rather than editing in multiple full skin textures.

Or scars... Or hair... Or tanlines... You get the idea.

So I take two skin texture files, one with moles, the other without, but otherwise identical, and load them into GIMP as layers in a new image.

I delete the Mipmaps from the two files, so I have two single layers, one from each file.

I use a difference script to generate a new layer, based on the difference between the two texture files. I then invert the colors on this difference map, so I have white moles on a black background.

This new layer, however, is much more akin to the tintmasks used for warpaint, dirt, etc, rather than the detail maps used for complexion. It has no discernable effect when added to the default skin resource in the Creation Kit.

Is it possible, and how would I easily modify this "tintmask" file to serve as a detail map on a full body? Are there steps that need be done in the Creation Kit beyond adding the detail map so that the detail will display on in-game models?

Thank you for your help!

• 4 years later...

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post... And move the post, of course...

I'm looking for a bit of help with detail maps. I can see how they are used to generate older and freckled NPCs, but I was hoping to make better use of them for custom bodies and faces.

For instance, a body detail map of moles that can be added as a variant, rather than editing in multiple full skin textures.

Or scars... Or hair... Or tanlines... You get the idea.

So I take two skin texture files, one with moles, the other without, but otherwise identical, and load them into GIMP as layers in a new image.

I delete the Mipmaps from the two files, so I have two single layers, one from each file.

I use a difference script to generate a new layer, based on the difference between the two texture files. I then invert the colors on this difference map, so I have white moles on a black background.

This new layer, however, is much more akin to the tintmasks used for warpaint, dirt, etc, rather than the detail maps used for complexion. It has no discernable effect when added to the default skin resource in the Creation Kit.

Is it possible, and how would I easily modify this "tintmask" file to serve as a detail map on a full body? Are there steps that need be done in the Creation Kit beyond adding the detail map so that the detail will display on in-game models?

Thank you for your help!

I'm looking for those textures too.

Did you found something?