Brynjolf bug, extremely annoying

Shmoocifer

So here is the problem. I complete "Taking care of business" and then Brynjolf starts to walk to the back of the Flaggon, where the thieves guild members meet. For some reason, it seems at this point that he stops recognizing me as the dragonborn, because he just starts to say "HMM?!" every time I walk up to him.
Upon entering the secret door, All of the thieves guild members start getting pissy at me, telling me that I shouldn't be here. Then they kill me.

Upon investigating it further, I have read that it is caused by Mods. So I cut down the number of mods, and restarted, same problem. have been cycling through my mods to try to figure out which one is the guilty one, because whatever mod is doing this deserves to be shot in the face. Unless its dragon combat overhaul... I cant live without that 1 :D

Anyone here experience this problem before? Are there any solutions besides resetting skyrim and crossing my fingers?

Would a complete Skyrim wipe help solve this sorcery? IE uninstall everything, reinstall vanilla..

Dragon Knowledge
Dragon Blood
DCO

ApachiSkyHair
CBBE
Killer Keos armor
Reverse crafting
Undeath
Purewaters

Killmoves no blur
Run for your lives
Faster vanilla Horses
Sounds of Skyrim - both Civ and Dungeons
Aaaaaaand thats all of em

EDIT: Forgot Dark brotherhood Tenets restored

Edited by Shmoocifer

Well my best advice is to disable all of them and then start enabling them one by one until the bug happens. If the bug happens without any of them, then there's a former mod that's baked scripts and data into the save game and is causing this issue. Since you're using DCO, I'm going to assume you have SKSE. Follow this here and try it out. Remember you have to play for a while after enabling ClearInvalidRegistrations, just like enabling the papyrus logs. If that doesn't work, then try a new game and see if the problem persists. If it does, post your papyrus logs here (not in the link, here meaning in this thread), and remember, you have to play a while for them to appear sometimes after enabling them. Also, don't listen about "If you don't have CTD's don't read on". Papyrus logs show what's working and what's bugged. I run them a few times after installing a mod, or adding scripts to mods I'm revamping for personal use. Uninstalling now wouldn't tell you the problem. Especially if it's a mod that's been deleted. If the scripts are still in the scripts and scripts/source directory in your Data folder, chances are they could still be running and you not even realize it.

Edited by pheo3309

Pheo, if that's the case, then would the uninstall method work?
I see that other people have had this glitch as well, and some of them have bypassed it with console commands, but when I try to start the next quest with console commands, nothing happens... This is all too much for this old noob to handle sometimes haha

Well without knowing what exactly is glitching with what, it's possible to have the same outcome even after a reinstallation. To be sure, papyrus logs are very helpful in this case. Plus reinstallation should be a last resort. I have mods through Steam, the Nexus, and a few other modding websites, plus some of my own. I've had similar bugs. Papyrus logging helps pinpoint the issue in the sense that, well... Reinstallation is just a quick band aid. If it's one of those mods conflicting with something, then it's not gonna stick. My best advice is still work through things in the order I described above as there's more at work here than what we see in the game.

Edit: Posting the papyrus logs here may allow us to better help with the problem. At least I would do that before I reinstalled. Just to be sure.

Edited by pheo3309

• 2 weeks later...