Is there a way to make specific bodypart models non-replacable?

Alonguy

So, I'm working on a custom race... I want it to use all the armors the player can use, but I don't want it to override the foot model since my race has hooves, and it would look odd to suddenly have human-shaped boots replace them. Is there any way to make it so the played can equip armors on the foot slot, but not have the model of the boots visually replace the hoof models, but still keep it so the body model can be replaced?

To my knowledge: this is decided in the boots themselves, in the ArmorAddon entry. You could just make the hooves bigger so they appear outside the boots, but this would be a very ugly, clipping-full solution. I believe there's a mod out there with a script that changes Amulet visibility, you might be able to write something similar for boots?

-edit- Wait, that was an Oblivion mod. Still, it might be possible?

Edited by Sophisa

Interesting... maybe I'll just take a look at the ESP and see exactly what they changed. See, I'm looking for a way to do this so that I don't have to overwrite any vanilla armor addon data and so it can be compatible with other armors... I know you can make it so NO clothes change ANY part of your model, but that was more of an issue with the "Armor Race" thing.... I wonder if there's a way to modify that. Maybe Body Part Data? I'm not sure how those work, but I'll see what I come up with.

Thanks.

Edited by Alonguy

Of course, I could set the armor race to blank and manually flag each body armor and leave out the other parts (They'll still be equipable, just not visible)
But then I get a problem with new armors that were added via mods or whatever - my new race can't wear those because it's not copying all of the data from an existing race.... hmmm....

You could try and create a dummy armor piece, that looks like the hooves you want to have. Then you write a script that reads out all of the stats of the player's foot armor whenever boots are equipped. Afterwards you apply those stats to your dummy armor and let the player equip those.

According to the CreationKit Wiki you can even get and set model paths for the world objects, so you could basically turn your dummy armor into a copy of the boots the player wants to equip.

You could try and create a dummy armor piece, that looks like the hooves you want to have. Then you write a script that reads out all of the stats of the player's foot armor whenever boots are equipped. Afterwards you apply those stats to your dummy armor and let the player equip those.

According to the CreationKit Wiki you can even get and set model paths for the world objects, so you could basically turn your dummy armor into a copy of the boots the player wants to equip.

You know, that just might work. Just one problem - on the player equipment screen, won't it look like their armor was unequipped? Or it would update the played model on the equipment screen, then the ingame model would suddenly look like it lost what they equipped or something.

I can see that becoming an issue.

Why couldn't Bethesda make it so you could only copy part of the armor data of a vanilla race?

Why so complicated? The solution is simple.

• Create ONE New Armor Addon Property (ideally, by duplicating one of the existing boot armor addons, for example IronBootsAA)
  • In edit mode, deselect all of the Additional Races, except your custom race
  • Replace the biped model selection for male and female with your hooves meshes.
  • Drag/Drop the new ArmorAddonOn into each vanilla boot item.

Whenever your character equips a pair of boots, it won't equip the boots and instead re-equip your hooves.

There is no overwriting or changing of existing ArmorAddon data. All you are doing is adding an additional provision for your custom race, that will ONLY affect your custom race.

This will not create any conflicts with other mods, but should be a lower priority in the load order.

EDIT: This solution works on the assumption that your hooves mesh is not attached to the body mesh, in much the same manner as the regular male/female foot mesh.

Edited by FavoredSoul