Skyrim Anniversary & Mods Question

marenmotierre

Hey there! I've played Skyrim SE for a while now, and I was thinking of buying the Anniversary Edition - not the upgrade but the standalone. I've got a few questions about mods and the Anniversary edition. Is the Anniversary edition a separate file from SE? If it is, do SE mods work with Anniversary or will I need to download separate mods?

I currently have a lot of mods in my SE saves, including graphics, script, ENBs, etc. If I were to purchase the Anniversary SE upgrade instead, would that break my game? I don't mind starting over from scratch, but will want to reinstall mods. So then will SE mods work with the Anniversary SE update?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Skyrim Anniversary Edition (SAE) is Skyrim Special Edition (SSE) plus Creation Club content (CC).

There is no technical difference between SAE and SSE with the identical CC purchased.

This means that SSE mods will work on SAE. However, because of the added CC some mods may conflict. But that is always the case with mods made for SSE without CC. The only other thing to watch out for are mods that utilize a third party extension such as SKSE. If the mod requires a specific version of the third party extension, it may not work on a newer version designed for the updated SSE / SAE executable.

Thank you so much for responding! So, if I purchase SAE, will it create a separate folder? So I could theoretically play SAE with a different set of mods than my SSE saves? I'm leaning towards purchasing the standalone SAE and not the upgrade. I feel like that'll be the cleanest way to go about it. I should look at the SSE mods that require SKSE that I would want to use in SAE.

Ok, thank you. I guess that's what I was really getting at, the file pathing. I'll just do the upgrade then, since it uses the same file path. I would want to start from scratch though, as it's been a bit since I've loaded up SSE and I know Vortex has some errors and such the last time I logged into it. There are a couple SSE mods that are in my game that have apparently been deleted from Nexus. As long as there are no conflicts and such with other mods and the SAE SKSE, those mods should still work correct?

Depends on when those mods were removed and what their requirements were. But for the most part, they should still work.

You should check to see if those mods can be found elsewhere. There were some changes made to the Nexus that some authors disagreed with and removed their mods. Many of them have hosted their mods in other locations.

Ok, thank you. I guess that's what I was really getting at, the file pathing. I'll just do the upgrade then, since it uses the same file path. I would want to start from scratch though, as it's been a bit since I've loaded up SSE and I know Vortex has some errors and such the last time I logged into it. There are a couple SSE mods that are in my game that have apparently been deleted from Nexus. As long as there are no conflicts and such with other mods and the SAE SKSE, those mods should still work correct?Obn

Oh, I did not realize that about Nexus. Thanks for letting me know, I'll definitely check to see if those particular modders posted elsewhere.