The Empire of Calradia - A Mount&Blade RP

AurianaValoria1

Claressa scrambled up the walls of Chalbek Castle, watching the horizon from between the crenelations to make sure King Ragnar was leaving as promised.

"They're on the retreat, madame," a Rhodok sergeant spoke from beside her, his voice slightly muffled by his helm, "They're already past Curin and heading straight for Sargoth by the looks of it."

She squinted at the distant banners, slowly nodding in agreement as she held her helm under one arm and clutched the newly-signed peace treaty in her other gauntleted hand. Why Ragnar had decided to stop now was beyond her understanding...he could easily take their two remaining castles without many losses. Perhaps he was simply toying with them, treating them as yet another plaything in this world of war-games. Or perhaps one of the other kingdoms posed a greater threat to the Nords at the moment. Either way, Claressa was certain that this respite wouldn't last long. The kingless nation would have to make the most of it.

She descended the wall stairs and headed for the keep to meet with the other liege-less vassals of the Kingdom of Numak. There was an important decision to be made: to keep up the fight, or to be dissolved into one of the other nations of Calradia...

Edited by AurianaValoria1

As Ragnar's army's faded from view, a lone soldier ran out from Chalbek Castle screaming at the top of his lungs. "YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH GO BACK TO YOUR HUSBANDS YA FLEKEN COWARDS!! Ya need some big strong arms to cuddle up next to tonight! Ya lot can't even hope ta beat us! We'll just come back with more!! Can't wait ta meet yer daughters!! Got a present for em they'll take a liken to!" He yelled while grabbing his crotch. No longer able to see their banners, Tanis stopped his insolent behavior and laughed as he returned to the castle.

He swaggered into the main hall and raised his fist up in the air and proclaimed to all in side. "It's alright lads! I scared em off!" The few men that laughed along with him disappointed Tanis. "I seemed to have been mistaken.. We must all be dead wit ta way yer all acting." He grumbled as he walked further into the room.

Beowulf and Hroar sat at the table across from each other, Beowulf was in the process of teaching his brother Stone, Parchment, Shears. Much to Hroar's misfortune he was at a extreme disadvantage when it came to games with his older brother. Beowulf downed the last of his mead and set the metal mug aside and held out his hand.

"Okay... one more time." He said.

Hroar nodded and did the same. On the count of three they chose their hands, Hroar chose Parchment where as his brother chose Stone..

Hroar chuckled and cheered as he finally won. "I won!" He said loudly, just as a man burst into the main hall and began cheering at how he scared off Ragnar's army.

Beowulf reached over and took his brothers last gold piece and threw it on the growing pile in a rawhide purse next to him.

"Nope... Stone rips through Parchment." He replied as he took a bite from a hunk of days old bread.

Hroar's face went from joy to sadness in the span of a heartbeat, he was now broke and still didn't understand this game.

Beowulf smiled and grabbed their empty mugs and popped the tap on the small wooden keg of Nord Ale he had looted from the remnants of a Sea Raider ship they had attacked some months before signing on as mercenaries for the Kingdom Of Numak. He slid his brother one of the mugs and they clanked them together.

"Glory and Honor!" They cheered before taking long heavy drinks.

Cameron watched the Nord army intently as they left, slowly disappearing over the horizon, arms behind his back. Despite Ragnar's promises Cameron wasn't sure they'd turn right back around and finish Numak off once and for all like any wise tactician would have. Frankly he wasn't sure to be disappointed or breathe a sigh of relief. Sure, he wouldn't be dying in a blaze of soon-forgotten glory (today, anyways.) but it was definitely going to be boring for a while. He looked down at his horse in the stables, wearing layers of heavy chainmail and plate to protect it from the dangers of battle. Looks like she wouldn't be needed today.

Still the lack of imminent battle simply meant that there was planning to be done. He'd already spent hours hunched over a map today, so he'd of course come up with a plan or two. With this in mind and an unforeseen opportunity at hand with Ragnar's army gone, Cameron approached Claressa, armor betraying his presence with the heavy clank of his boots and chainmail.

"Lady Claressa." He began, walking beside her, having removed his helmet. Conversation could be difficult with a lump of metal blocking sound. "Without Ragnar's army bearing down on us, we're in a position where we're able to start rebuilding, preparing ourselves for whatever may come, be it attack or defense. Next time you're able, it'd be best if we laid out plans to do so. Numak is weak, and unless we can prove that we have some kind of direction, it'll crumble within the week. And I can speak for myself and say that I don't want that happening. I've spent time thinking on this, and if we can take the villages of Bullin and Gisim to the south- preferably diplomatically, though that is unlikely- we'd be able to gather some recruits and gain a more solid foothold this side of the river. It's a start, but that may just be what's needed."

Edited by Flipout6

Nikov gave a huff of dismissal as Ragnar's banners faded off into the distance. "Incompetent," he said to no one in particular, walking back to his forge. "Should finish off a threat when you can, before it comes back and bites you in the arse." The smith went back inside and began writing a list of what available weapons and materials they had on hand so he could give a report to Lady Claressa. A dismally short list at that, too, he added.

They had just enough weapons and armor for everyone, thankfully; his supply of iron was getting rather low. Surprisingly, they had a good score more of various one- and two-handed weapons, and some bows as well, with perhaps another score of spare armors, but without the men to wield them, they were practically worthless. "Only thing they are good for now are as replacements or repairs. Hmph, might as well let Claressa know how our military stock is." With that, Nikov collected his list and headed for the keep, grabbing a pint of ale as he walked past the Gurnisson Brothers and downing it on his way through the main hall in one long draft.

Nikov strode in where Claressa was, remaining quiet as he waited for a chance to give his report, and overheard the Swadian (what was his name, Cameron?) speaking with her. At the suggestion of gaining Builin and Gisim, however (and possible recruits), an idea formed in his head, leading him to interrupt. "Diplomatically, you say? We may have a way of doing just that."

Handing his report to Claressa, Nikov went into detail on what he was thinking. "Here is a full listing of our available military stockpile. Luckily, we have enough to equipped everyone here, and even a surplus, but without the extra men, that does not serve us. However," the smith paused for emphasis "it might just be me, but villages like Builin and Gisim are rather isolated from the rest of the Nord Kingdom, and in this day and age may have some problems defending themselves from bandits, even more so with a fool like Ragnar as their liege."

"So, lets take this extra equipment and outfit some of the villagers, giving them some basic training to defend themselves as well. This way, the villagers will be thankful for the help, and may even consider joining us." Nikov gave a nod of his head in confidence, then stopped as he realized one small problem. "Damn, wait a bit. With the surplus we have, we'd only have enough equipment for another 20 or so men, which wouldn't be enough for both villages. Hmm," the smith thought, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. "Where would we get the extra supplies?"

Danda leaned against the stone wall behind his fellow 'lords', speaking up only as the Vaegir put out the question of extra supplies.

Rather than address Nikov directly, he spoke to the other two, "Caravans. Give me a retinue of horsemen and riding up to 'ask' them for a hand out should go fine. You two could even join us," looking out of the corner of his eye he spoke of Nikov but still addressed the others, "but this one will stay here."

Beowulf noticed the growing party around Lady Claressa, he tapped his brother on the shoulder and nodded towards them. He grabbed his shield and axe, Hroar picked up the long scabbard with his giant Sword Of War and they walked over to join the group, Beowulf could sense battle-plans afoot and attacking Caravans is just like something he was paid to do.

"We will go with you..." Said Beowulf as he strapped his shield to his arm, Hroar nodded as he wrapped the fur strap that strung his sword across his back.

"... We have been longin' to hurt somefin', sittin' around 'ere like two lil' bears wit' nuthin' to do has dulled my blade." Hroar added.

Beowulf smiled, "Besides your gonna need someone to crack the skulls and there are few better then we two..." He said as he knocked on his brothers skull, Hroar took the hit and turned his head to see who did it, unaware that it was his brother.

Edited by Macman253

Claressa took a deep breath as she absorbed all of this information, closing her eyes for a moment. Then, she took her helm, the treaty, and Nikov's report and set them all upon the table at the far end of the hall, her armored boots clanking loudly on the stone floor.

"Forty days," she finally said, her voice echoing around the hall, "Forty days is all we're guaranteed. After that, each day we have peace is a gesture of mercy from Ragnar. Buillin and Gism," she paused, pacing back and forth, "are indeed regularly beset by bandits, and the villagers will no doubt appreciate the help against such marauders. If we can succeed at recruiting volunteers, then training will precede equipment - teach them to chase the right people on the battlefield and the fancy sword can come later. We need numbers more than anything, right now."

"Do not forget that Aldelen and Haen our still ours, as well, and both still owe us taxes. We can use that money to buy materials we need," she added, "And last time I checked, some of their younger folk weren't opposed to joining our army."

Claressa glanced at Danda, "As for the caravans, I do not think it wise to go after them. Most in this area are of the Nords, and if not them, then Rhodoks. Attack one of the Nords' and Ragnar will see it as the breaking of the treaty, giving him full rights to finish where he left off. Attack one of Rhodoks's, and they will see it as a border provocation, making it more likely they'll go to war with us. We are not in a position to handle that."

"Take care of the bandits in the woods around here. Earn the trust of the villagers and that alone will get us a long way. As for myself," she sighed, "I have a few allies in Swadia and in the Nord lands who might be willing to join our cause...lords I stood with time and again on the battlefield. I will ride to them and see if I can persuade them to help us."

Cameron gave Beowulf and Hroar a once-over, and then decided against it.

"Speed and time are of grave importance, and unless you can keep up with a horse- and don't tell me you can ride one, you're nords who spent most of your lives at sea- I'd recommend that if you come at all, it's from behind the initial group, likely me and my fellow knights. If we want to take the towns peacefully, that means we'll be taking out bandits, as was said. They don't tend to stay in one place too long and they're rarely in large packs, so there will be several groups to eliminate. To save time I'd recommend taking two groups: men on horseback, me included, and men on foot, you two included. The men on horseback, the cavalry and perhaps a few horse-archers, will move farther to the south, to the hills near Gisim. The infantry move in a straightforward fashion towards Buillin, circles it and eliminates any bandits they find there before moving into the town itself. The groups will travel together until they reach the cliffs near Buillin, where the cavalry will break off west around the far side towards Gisim, performing a similar maneuver. Remember, this is a diplomatic mission. We're trying to win them over, not destroy them." He looked straight as Hroar as he finished. He stood there for a second, thinking, before he began again. "I'm not sure who will collect taxes and recruit soldiers from Aldelen and Haen, however."

With that, he replaced his helmet. "If there's nothing else, I'd prefer to get moving now."

Edited by Flipout6