The Empire of Calradia - A Mount&Blade RP

AurianaValoria1

Monksley-on-Harwich had been running on foot since the early hours of the morning towards Castle Chalbek. Finally, the gates of the Main hall open wide, and the middle aged archer walked in.

"Sorry I'm late for the fight lads. I would've came here sooner....but...let's just say - Never ride a drunk horse...it's a long story...." - he said to no one in particular

With that, Monksley walked over to one of the large tables, grabbed a bottle of wine and poured it's contents into an ornate silver tankard that was tied to his belt. After a few gulps he noticed the large group forming around Clarrisa and decided to see what's going on.

Nikov gave the Khergit a narrowed glance, wondering briefly what the man had against him, but let it go; he had other, more important things to worry about as it was. He did like part of the man's raiding idea, just not the caravan part. "Claressa is correct there; attacking caravans could very easily bring too much "aggressive attention" to our plates. But, these bandits will most likely have supplies, supplies that would be rather handy if they were to come into our possession. Just food for thought." With that said, the Vaegir left it hang in the air and turned to Cameron.

"I'll go with the group going to Builin," he spoke. "Their location seems the more exposed. Once there, I could help them build basic defenses and aid in their training, if they will have us." Nikov turned and began to walk back to the smithy. "I will be in my quarters readying the supplies we'll need. If anyone needs me, I'll be there."

Beowulf looked back to Cameron. He was not pleased by the way the knight regarded him and his brother but he was right, neither him nor his brother knew how to ride a horse. But a caravan raid would indeed be a foolish course of action.

"Likely the bandits are Sea Raiders." He replied sternly, his gaze fixed on Cameron. "Which means heavy shields and armor, they will be prepared for heavy infantry resistance. You go in and strike them at the town while my brother and me, aswell as some archers and footmen attack their ships." He said with a slight smirk.

"They will likely have a small force of around twenty men... we attack, wipe them out and load their loot aboard one of their ships and burn the rest." He added, Hroar smiled as his brother laid out a perfect battle-plan, not only will they gain the favor of the village and likely their vassalage but they could also gain a massive hoard of gold and goods, aswell as a Longship.

Tanis came over to eavesdrop on the battle plan, not being a commanding officer it wasn't really his place, but he wanted to be nosy nonetheless. The plan of attacking the bandits was something he could certainly get behind, but he felt the need to impart some wisdom so he whistled to get their attention. "Riv's not wide enough for boats. Too shallow too, Places there where ya can walk a horse across. Too far inland too, River's a dead end so they'd have to turn right back round where they came, never a good plan that. Naah, at best we're looken at canoes if they're coming from the north, but I highly doubt that. Nahh, Ya need to be looken at tha forest neraby, thick enough to hide in, Probably got enough caves and the like for a base." He looked to Beowulf and gave an apologetic shrug. "Yer plan was good... IF.. there were actually any chance of it being sea raiders." He then looked to the others and let out a nervous chuckle. "Sorry fer interrupting, I'll just uuhh.. Head back to ma table." He said, suddenly feeling very awkward.

"Whatever you end up deciding," Claressa sighed, "just get it done."

With that, she left the main hall, donned her helm, found her charger, and rode away from Chalbek Castle, intent on finding some old allies.

It didn't take long for Nikov to ready his things. He sorted out the extra equipment they had into two even piles, one set for Builin, the other for Gisim, and wrote down instructions on where each were to go. Satisfied that that was dealt with, the smith prepared his own gear, slipping on the worn breast plate he always wears and slung the short bow and quiver of arrows and his short spear on his back. He grabbed his longsword and tied it to his waist, and finally slipped his forge hammer onto a loop on his belt.

"There, all ready." Nikov grabbed the pack of food he'd sat outside his forge and sat there in the door way and closed his eyes, determined to catch a little sleep before the group for Builin left.

Beowulf smiled and nodded. He knew that the river was too shallow for most ships, but Longships were glorified canoes. Numerous times he had taken them up rivers to strike at fishing villages in the past.

"Aye, but Longships have a shallow draft. Twenty men with five hundred foot of rope and spades can move a longship over a fjord in a few hours." He looked to Cameron.

"Give me the men... and I will get you the supplies you need." He said with a stern gaze and a fire deep in his eyes.

Hroar smiled as he crossed his arms, the pair of Norsemen knew their trade and this is what their trade was.

"Ye' don't know us well do ye' Knight. Stealin' from folks is what we do. Give us a month, an' we can put a hundred men of the sea aboard that ship and put it ta' good use in ta' name of Numak." Hroar added.

After almost a day of riding, Claressa managed to catch up to a familiar banner: the blue-backed trio of golden Fleur-de-lis belonging Count Montewar, a vassal of the Kingdom of Swadia. Claressa knew him from several military campaigns, in which they served alongside each other and King Harlaus himself. The Count had been a steadfast ally and one of the few lords who was sad to see her leave the kingdom. Perhaps he would remember the times she had saved him from enemy forces.

"Count Montewar!" she called from her horse, removing her helm and waving in greeting.

The Count, who always rode alongside his company rather than ahead of it, turned his own helm to the side and seemed to hesitate before removing it and returning her hail, "Lady Claressa! What brings you into the lands of Swadia again?"

He rode down a small hillock, departing his men for a moment to speak with her. The Count was a balding man, his face weathered, wearing a small black mustache and beard. His eyes squinted when he smiled, and they did just that as he pulled his bay hunter to a halt beside her charger.

"It has been a long while, I know," Claressa replied, "But I wouldn't be here if I weren't in need. My kingdom has-"

"Been beaten back by the Nords, I hear," Montewar finished for her, "Yes, I thought I might see you recruiting again. That's what you're here for, isn't it?"

She nodded, "Aye. Call it a debt repaid, if you like. But I need men, and desperately. Please, Count Montewar-"

He held up a mailed hand to stop her, "Say no more. You will have the troops you need. Sir Joris!" he called over his shoulder.

A broad Swadian knight rode up to them, "Yes milord?"

"Fetch at least fifty men from our ranks and have them follow Lady Claressa. They are to become citizens of Numak, now, by my command."

Claressa let out a long breath in relief. She watched as the men were rounded up and transferred to her own banner. Sir Joris himself joined as well, at the Count's request.

At last, the Count addressed her again, "Well, there you are. A debt repaid, as you say. But I would not come around these lands begging for soldiers again. Some of the other lords of Swadia might not be so benevolent. Fare you well, my lady."

With that, the Count replaced his helm and rejoined his men, leading them onwards towards Suno.

"You lads need an archer? If so, I'm game! Killed loads of the bastards back home." - Monksley said to the large group that had gathered, as he took a large gulp from his tankard. - "If we'll be fighting the bandits, I expect they'll make some kind of ambush, if they happen to see us coming. Perhaps go through some nearby forest? I'm not a commoner 'round here so I'm not very familiar with the terrain. As experienced as we may be, ambush is not a good thing to have, lemmie tell ya.

As she headed back through the Kingdom of the Nords, avoiding major patrols along the way, Claressa managed to find Jarl Logarson...an old ally from her days as a vassal of King Ragnar. Unfortunately, she did not have the same luck she had with Count Montewar, and she was swiftly - albeit gently - turned away. Still, she was thankful for the men she was able to procure, and she began the long ride home to Chalbek Castle with a bit brighter spirits.