WHIP WEAPON MOD AND $$ TO MODDER TO CREATE IT! $&#0

madapaka1323

Ok I don't understand why or how that NOBODY had made a whip weapon here for skyrim and whip just like in castlevania games or indiana jones. DONT QUESTION ME OR TELL ME oh its saddistic oh its useless well I AM the one thats going to enjoy it so dont download it if you dont like it.

Now there is a video on youtube for Oblivion whip mod. I want to see something like that over skyrim or at least PORTED. I am willing to donate $$$ :cool: to a modder can make that happen NO B.S and I am sure others will donate too if that mod ever comes into life. IF theres a reason it cannot please tell BUT DONT TELL ME BECAUSE ITS USELESS :pinch: , because it doesn't make any sense. I will only understand if theres any hardware or software issue then I can lay this dream mod to rest.

THANK YOU!!! :laugh:

The whip mod from Oblivion can only be ported if the author decides to, or allows someone else to port it and publish it. I also listed a few reasons in that topic why it's a good thought, but it needs more work than what's displayed. I'm not saying it's useless or hating on the idea, but the physics involved with actually fighting with a bullwhip and incorporating it into the now larger engine under Skyrim, it's not going to be something that's immersive engine wise, at least not in it's current state in the Oblivion mod. A lot of things have to be added and changed.

1. An actual crack when the torque reaches the end of the thong of the whip and travels through the fall.
  2. Make an actual fall mesh on the whip.
  3. Make a realistic length. In the video it looked 15+ feet. As a bullwhip showcracker, the longer the whip, the longer the torque travel, which means the slower the crack intervals. Even with fast figure eights or a cow and calf combo. Realistically cracking like that in the video not only would get your ear hacked off, but you'd become tangled.
  4. People just don't pick up a bullwhip and instantly crack it if they've never cracked it before. If they do, they're lucky. I'd expect it to be usable through perks.
  5. More of a point: It's hard to kill something with a bullwhip unless you know what you're doing and can aim PRECISELY at your mark. 10-30 lashes at most will get your target to faint unless you hit them exactly where it counts. And the popper at the end of the whip is fibers twirled against itself. So you can't change that to metal or stringy beads like shown in the video.
  6. Weathering of the whip. Falls and poppers usually come off after very intense use. For instance I can't go a week without having to replace a fall. If I'm lucky a month or two, depending on how long I'm out cracking and how often I practice.
  7. Dual-wielding whips would also have to be a perk.
  8. Make sure that the whip mesh doesn't clip with the player.
  9. Have a proper 'wrapping' animation of the whip when unequipping.
  10. Don't have the whip instantly coil back up after every crack. That irks my taters the most.

These are just a -few- of the things I'm finding wrong with the Oblivion mod as it is right now. The reason why I'm so critical of it, is because I do demonstrations of cracking and getting into pyro-whipcracking. Even as a novice, compared to what I knew at the beginning, if I never were to have seen this, I would think that it would be extremely accurate. I'm here to say, it's not. Haha! It needs WAY more work than what it has in Oblivion to get my endorsement, not to mention if it's a port it needs the mod author's permission. If someone decides to make it from scratch, I'll make a few suggestions...

1. Look up the construction of bullwhips, the specific parts (Handle, transition, thong, fall, popper), know the proper lengths, and implement them the best you can through the 3D software when creating the meshes and textures.
  2. Accurate whip movements and combos. For the best examples, Adam Winrich has videos on YouTube of his demonstrations. I would look at his videos considering that he has held 7 World Records and I think currently he still holds 6, but working on getting back that 7th.
  3. Proper cracking sounds. If need be, I can supply this for the modder. Even combo cracks as well. I can even supply the 'whirl' sounds.

I'll also be happy to answer any questions regarding to the stamina bar and the use of the whip itself. I can say right of the bat, in the video of the mod... The player could crack it faster than they could throw it. Immersive/realistically, doesn't matter if you're the Dragonborn or not... If you pick up a whip and learn the basics of cracking, your arms will hurt after an hour. By two hours, you think you made a mistake. At three + hours, you can't pick up a spoon. There should be perks involved with speed/cracks.

Anyways that's my two cents on it so far. And like I said, I know some things can't be implemented due to the engine, however most of these things I'm pretty sure can be.

The whip mod from Oblivion can only be ported if the author decides to, or allows someone else to port it and publish it. I also listed a few reasons in that topic why it's a good thought, but it needs more work than what's displayed. I'm not saying it's useless or hating on the idea, but the physics involved with actually fighting with a bullwhip and incorporating it into the now larger engine under Skyrim, it's not going to be something that's immersive engine wise, at least not in it's current state in the Oblivion mod. A lot of things have to be added and changed.

1. An actual crack when the torque reaches the end of the thong of the whip and travels through the fall.
  2. Make an actual fall mesh on the whip.
  3. Make a realistic length. In the video it looked 15+ feet. As a bullwhip showcracker, the longer the whip, the longer the torque travel, which means the slower the crack intervals. Even with fast figure eights or a cow and calf combo. Realistically cracking like that in the video not only would get your ear hacked off, but you'd become tangled.
  4. People just don't pick up a bullwhip and instantly crack it if they've never cracked it before. If they do, they're lucky. I'd expect it to be usable through perks.
  5. More of a point: It's hard to kill something with a bullwhip unless you know what you're doing and can aim PRECISELY at your mark. 10-30 lashes at most will get your target to faint unless you hit them exactly where it counts. And the popper at the end of the whip is fibers twirled against itself. So you can't change that to metal or stringy beads like shown in the video.
  6. Weathering of the whip. Falls and poppers usually come off after very intense use. For instance I can't go a week without having to replace a fall. If I'm lucky a month or two, depending on how long I'm out cracking and how often I practice.
  7. Dual-wielding whips would also have to be a perk.
  8. Make sure that the whip mesh doesn't clip with the player.
  9. Have a proper 'wrapping' animation of the whip when unequipping.
  10. Don't have the whip instantly coil back up after every crack. That irks my taters the most.

These are just a -few- of the things I'm finding wrong with the Oblivion mod as it is right now. The reason why I'm so critical of it, is because I do demonstrations of cracking and getting into pyro-whipcracking. Even as a novice, compared to what I knew at the beginning, if I never were to have seen this, I would think that it would be extremely accurate. I'm here to say, it's not. Haha! It needs WAY more work than what it has in Oblivion to get my endorsement, not to mention if it's a port it needs the mod author's permission. If someone decides to make it from scratch, I'll make a few suggestions...

1. Look up the construction of bullwhips, the specific parts (Handle, transition, thong, fall, popper), know the proper lengths, and implement them the best you can through the 3D software when creating the meshes and textures.
  2. Accurate whip movements and combos. For the best examples, Adam Winrich has videos on YouTube of his demonstrations. I would look at his videos considering that he has held 7 World Records and I think currently he still holds 6, but working on getting back that 7th.
  3. Proper cracking sounds. If need be, I can supply this for the modder. Even combo cracks as well. I can even supply the 'whirl' sounds.

I'll also be happy to answer any questions regarding to the stamina bar and the use of the whip itself. I can say right of the bat, in the video of the mod... The player could crack it faster than they could throw it. Immersive/realistically, doesn't matter if you're the Dragonborn or not... If you pick up a whip and learn the basics of cracking, your arms will hurt after an hour. By two hours, you think you made a mistake. At three + hours, you can't pick up a spoon. There should be perks involved with speed/cracks.

Anyways that's my two cents on it so far. And like I said, I know some things can't be implemented due to the engine, however most of these things I'm pretty sure can be.

You sir, Will be great help to anyone that wants to do this mod. I now understand the technical issues that you lay out over the weapon, but I am still have my hopes that someone that should able to work this out :confused:

anyway how about not a whip how about a Morning Star similar to the one that Lich King in LOTR Return Of the King was hurling around to kill that lady. Now that would be bad ass. Do you believe that would be harder to make? :blush: The texture for the spikey ball at the end can be copied from a vanilla mace, but having to attach a chain to it and make it wave or so kinda make it hard. the hilt or grip can be done by vanilla sword hilt/grips as well i think, also to making the chain wave, should we able to use Miraak's sword animation. I think that would be a good alpha/beta mod to start with and maybe other modders start to make notice and offer helping hands now that would be awesome

But truly I dont know its just some ideas I thought about. I really hope someone can help or make it happen :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I beleive this is definitely possible. One of the SKyrim Developers made the feature. It was featured in their Game Jam video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIgXeGC6Dg&feature=player_detailpage#t=244

People are always talking about how Skyrim's physics keeps modders from making whips/flails. I think it could be easily accomplished using animations. The whip doesn't have to be flying using real physics, it can be done using an animation for different moves.

I could easily make a few whip models, but I got no idea how to overcome the animation and physics problem o it. It all seem like quite a lot.

Though, find one who does, and I can supplement with whatever whip concept you can think off ;)

Matth

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea how to go about doing it since I'm still really new to all this stuff but, I have an idea for a ball and chain mod that I'm pretty sure would work provided someone had the knowledge to implement it.

We know from some of the traps in Skyrim that there are ropes in the game that are flexible and will swing around and that it's possible to tether something to them with the intent that the weight of that object hitting you does damage. If you took one of those ropes, shortened it, and then attached one end to a handle and the other to a weighted object, a player could swing it and do damage if they connect with something or someone. I think for it to really work, the weapon would have to work like a bow where holding down the mouse button draws it and you don't actually attack until the mouse button is released. The really tricky part is that it would require an all new animation with the character's hand off to the side a little and moving the handle so the ball starts spinning. The reason I think it'd be tough to do is because you'd have to have it so the rope and ball aren't part of the animation and simply allow the moving of the weapon's handle set it to start spinning with the character swinging it in a sideways arc in front of them when you let off the mouse. This does mean that a player could end up doing damage to themselves with it as well but, that's why ball and chains weren't widely used back when people were running around with swords and axes.