The Rise and Fall of Videogames

Slaiv

Gone as far as we can: NEVER! For the human race, there is no limit to how far we can go.

Uhm... limit? How about the atom-bomb? I think that was a little too far...

Though I am an avid game-player myself, I feel that there are too many games out there... Kids need to do stuff besides playing games. But that's the nature of men; They try to pour 3 gallons of water into a glass which can only hold one! (WARNING: These numbers might be very unrealistic as I don't know how much a gallon is :blush: )

People always tell you that you shouldn't fear technology and 'progress'... That doesn't mean full steam ahead, does it?

As far as the game industry is concerned; I trust BioWare to make good games for another couple of years...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, seeing as Bioware has licenced the Unreal 3 Engine [most beautiful thing I've ever seen.... beats Half Life II in graphics and physics].....

Well, they were fun while they lasted - still, I hope Nintendo can do something....

Hopefully gameplay will be more important in the future than the graphics then.

Yeah, maybe if the graphics somehow reached a maximum, and they couldn't get any better, we'd finally see some improvements in the stories and gameplay... ;)

About BioWare using the Unreal 3 engine for Dragon Age; Wohoo! I think we've got a new champion on the way!!! I almost wet myself when I first read the news... :lol:

I don't remember where I read that it was for Dragon Age, maybe I just misunderstood... I thought it sounded a little weird, since I had already seen screenshots and everything... Anyway, if Bioware is working on yet another game that's only for the better! I can not say this too many times; BioWare is the company that keeps me up when things are tough! So, Slaiv, any gossip or rumours on this secret project X?

EDIT: It was Euro-RPG... they posted this in their news-section 22 sep.:

Bioware has announced that their game Dragon Age will be using the Unreal 3 Engine. There is no reason to fear though that the game will be more of a first person shooter. No, Bioware is adding an "RPG layer" that will incorporate all those things players love about RPG's that are used to create a living world.

It is being tested to see if the game will be running on PC and consoles, so far so good. However, no word yet as to what platforms Dragon Age will be released on for sure. It is being said that Dragon Age is the "spritual successor to Bioware's Baldur's Gate and . So this game should be something for RPG fans to look forward to.

My guess is that they got their info mixed up!

Firstly, Game play will never die... I still play Chrono Trigger... That game is almost 15 years old... (i think) Another thing to remember is that as technology gets better it getts smaller. So there will still be a demand for handheld games with the graphics of technology from 20 years from now. Games won't die out... Think about how many books have been writen!! How long have books been written, lets just say a long time. Gaming has only been around for 30 years tops. Gaming still has AT LEAST another 30 years.

Chrono Trigger is (i think) aged a good 13 years... the first listed copyright on the Final Fantasy Chronicles is 1991... of course, this may be for something different.

And taking that as an example, we could always improve on perfection...

Imagine making old games like Chrono Cross into total-immersion. 2 words: Kick. Ass.

anyway, there's also improving on what has already been redone over and over. In all honesty, let's see a final fantasy game built like morrowind (guilds and factions, a main quest, and quests for each faction, side quests from screwed-up npcs... you see where this is going?) with massive landscapes, while maintaining the degree of fantasy in final fantasy.

let's face it. Video games will never die, but (speaking with a deranged mind now) we certainly could take it too far... anyone who has watched or played a .hack game/show? Imagine that ACTUALLY occuring.

(Yes i know, far-fetched... my mind is wandering...)

Edit: IM REALLLLLLLY asking for a flaming with this, but:

The atom bomb wasnt going to far, it was just applying the knowledge in the wrong direction. Since then we have learned and we now have Nuclear Fission reactors to power all our cities. Granted, it's dangerous technology to have (especially with third-world countries who hate us! or at least have dictators that hate us.) but it has the potential to give us so much more.

No offense people!

Since then we have learned and we now have Nuclear Fission reactors to power all our cities.

Well, look what happened in Chernobyl... We are playing with fire. Yes, it is helpful, but I believe we should find better ways! But I won't flame you ;) I've promised myself to never get involved in discussions concerning US politics, specially not their 'war on terrorism'... :wacko: :ph34r:

An i have learned never to say anything useful and will continue that trend starting now: blah blah blah............................

My head blew up from this $%&%

Um, as long as theres trigger happy dudes like me who have 50 bucks then there will be video games. Period. Because think about it, what else would 50 bucks go to? :construction:

Archived