DooM (DOS)

tyreil829

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think after Doom 2 id Software forgot how to make awesome boss fights.

Yeah, the boss fights felt completely uninspiring. The only interesting one was the Guardian. In hindsight Doom1 and 2 bosses didn't really employ a whole lot of uniqeness, but that was in the very early days of FPS so some diversity isn't really a realistic expectation. But the fact that they just rehashed the same exact stuff a decade later is pretty bad.

Doom 3 was in a whole different class from Doom 1/2.

And it was not a class that a Doom game belonged in. It failed to do it even as well as the much older games that it was desperately trying to be: System Shock 1/2.

• 1 month later...

DooM 3 was a game far above most others for the year it came out and it had a decent amount of ambience and spook to it. The occult and satanic imagery was almost non-existent for obvious reasons. I mean they had to get the game out at least and the game still has some decent content that expands on the nightmare. But to just revamp 1/2 would be stupid and those who prayed they would do that deserved to be disappointed.

I don't want to play the same game for a different price over 10 years....

• 3 weeks later...
Loved Doom and Doom 2.

Found a randomising program that made all the monsters and items randomly placed through out the levels of Doom so that one could meet a big spider in the very first level or start a level with a dozen missile launchers waiting for one and so on.

Do you remember the name of the randomizing program or where it could be found? It sounds really cool to me since I still play this classic and a lot of player-created WADs for it.

For me Doom 3 was a let down.

For me as well. The new graphics were okay, but I was expecting to play Doom, not to watch a CG Movie. It's for this same reason that I finally gave up on the Final Fantasy games. I like to play video games, not watch them.

For me Doom 3 was a let down.

For me as well. The new graphics were okay, but I was expecting to play Doom, not to watch a CG Movie. It's for this same reason that I finally gave up on the Final Fantasy games. I like to play video games, not watch them.

As an old school gamer myself, sometimes it's always a great stress reliever to sit down and blast the bejesus out of everything in sight with a BFG :P

I do fancy my hi-def graphics however, but if the story is sh*t then no way will I play the game. Like I always say, a great game is one that can be played and one never tires of it.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't want to play the same game for a different price over 10 years....

Exactly the problem.

It simply wasn't DOOM.

Doom isn't System Shock, it's an all-out fragfest with no pretense of story, character development, or contrived horror. Doom 3 should've been a lot more like Painkiller, (though maybe without the gimmicky soul-collecting bit) which is a more true (and fun) spiritual successor to Doom.

I mean, would a James Bond movie still be a James Bond movie if he didn't have the gadgets, wasn't a secret agent, didn't get the girls, didn't have a gun, and was a middle-aged housewife who sat around and played bridge all day? Would Star Wars still be Star Wars without jedi and space ships? How about a Bruce Campbell movie that tries to be serious and decidedly un-cheesey? Or Rocky Horror without the transvestites and cult following? Is Doom still Doom without the fever-pitch fragfest?

NAY, I say unto thee, NAY!

Call it Phobos Shock, Hell on Mars, Lost Moon, call it what you will -- but Doom it ain't.

• 1 month later...

Yep, how could I forget a major part of my college life!!! All that time "wasted" in the lab playing doom 1 and 2 with friends. Ahhhh....those were the days.

I had no idea Doom was getting a Windows makeover. Looks awesome. I really like the weapon pack.