Strange SKSE version detected and causing problems (Skyrim AE)

SangvinPingvin

Hi!

I have recently purchased Skyrim SE (version 1.6.353 i.e. AE upgraded version) and after contemplating a mod list for about 2 weeks of some 44 mods. All installed via Vortex, apart from SKSE and ENB stuff which were installed manually. I'm using the latest (AE) version of SKSE64 and have created an .ini file manually as per the folder readme FAQ. I'm also following the recommendations to use this with the latest versions of SKSE Library, PapyrusUtil and the updated SKSE64 DLL patch for Simply Knock SE - these four combined should make Simply Knock work under upgraded AE conditions according to sticky posts.

And yet...

Starting up Skyrim I get this error message: "Simply Knock Error - SKSE. Skyrim Script Extender is required for Simply Knock to function. Please update to the latest version of SKSE. Detected version: 0.0000 Expected version: 2.0005 or greater."

Now SKSE is selected as primary in Vortex and Vortex has no complaints about it. Most of the other mods using SKSE have no complaints either, apart from RaceMenu which also detects a 0.0000 version and has weird $$$ signs in menu buttons (also due to SKSE errors?). In Vortex, Simply Knock SE also has a LOOT error message stating it wants PapyrusUtil version 3.9 or above - the most recent PapyrusUtil version for AE (4.3) is indeed installed, but it is as if the older unupdated SE mod can't recognise the AE compatible PapyrusUtil and SKSE (guessing wildly here - I'm just a humble user with no programming experience).

I'm also getting complaints from Nether's Follower Framework: "Nether's Follower Framework only shows 0 follower slots in total (should be 10). Cause: Another mod that is lower in the load order is overwriting the DialogueFollower quest. Solution: Exit your game and move nwsFollowerFramework.esp lower in your load order, as close to the end as you can." Okay, so there were some lighting mods and the brawl bug fix afterwards, but just to be sure I marked nwsFollowerFramework.esp as a "late loader" in the menu to the right, and it indeed jumped to the very bottom of the plugin list as I reloaded Vortex. But... I'm still getting the very same error message. So I'm guessing it's not due to load order or the DialogueFollower quest, but that it too might have some incompatibility with the SKSE64 AE version due to NFF being a slightly dated mod.

Contemplated solutions:

1) Install an earlier version of SKSE instead - I'm guessing this will bring more new problems than it will solve.

2) Install earlier versions of SKSE and PapyrusUtil and overwrite them with the new versions, so remnants of the old ones are there as dummies to make older mods happy. No idea if it could work.

3) Forget about Simply Knock and enjoy the game anyway. Live with RaceMenu problems and get another follower mod - I'm taking recommendations for something reasonable, updated and good to go with AE. Unelegant but I suppose I could settle.

4) Ask for help on these forums and try to resolve my problems that are most likely due to some user error I have missed - this is where I'm at now obviously.

Keeping fingers crossed for some help! :D

Thank you for your replies. I tried installing SKSE from Vortex first but couldn't get it to work, so I went with a manual install. I downloaded the "Latest AE build 2.1.5" 7z archive from here: https://skse.silverlock.org/

I first installed it following the readme instructions in the 7z archive. Then when rmm200 above mentioned I was missing the scripts portion, I checked this video instead (

) and reinstalled (manually again) according to it. There are some differences - the readme instructs to copy/paste files relevant files directly into their proper folders, whereas the video copy/pastes the Data folder entirely and merges.

Unfortunately, there was no change - still getting the same warnings and issues about version 0.0000 detected. I hope the needed scripts are not located in the src folder of the archive? The readme states that it is only relevant for modders and not users, and the video installation guide ignores it as well.

More suggestions for fixes or detailed instructions on how to uninstall SKSE64 at this point and attempt a reinstall via Vortex (tried and tested instructions specifically for Skyrim AE would be appreciated) would be very much appreciated.