Request: SkyRe ReProccer/Wrye Bash For Dummies-type tutorial

ImageGuru

Hi all-

I've not really used the forums before, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. It's not a mod request, per se, but a request regarding modding. My apologies if there's someplace more appropriate to post this, and I'll be happy to move it if that's the case.

I've recently (in the past month) come back to playing Skyrim after a long hiatus from just before Hearthfires came out. Back then, I used NMM to install my mods (if they were NMM compatible), BOSS to order my mods as best it could, and Wrye Bash to create Bashed Patches, which I sort of understood.

Coming back to the game, I've realized things have changed a fair bit in the modding world, at least as much as I knew of it.

I'm trying my best to learn everything I can on how to correctly set up the various mods I want to use to shape my Skyrim experience. I've recently discovered SkyRe, ad have been playing with it enabled for a couple of weeks now. Since then I've had my eyes opened to the wide, confusing work of reproccers, skyproc tools, merged patches, TES5Edit cleaning, and a host of other things.

I generally understand the process of setting up SkyRe and running the reproccer when I add (or remove) mods, thanks largely to Gopher's YouTube vids on the subject of setting them up, though I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how the stats.xml file defines various items in mods to normalize the armor and damage values, and that various patches like the ones from Balbour's can make mods compatible.

The problem is that I know a little bit about all these elements, but what I need to do is figure out how all the puzzle pieces fit together.

I would like to request that someones "in the know" put together a decent tutorial, whether text, images, or video, which walks someone like me, through how to use these various tools together to set up as clean a Skyrim installation as possible. I've read a number of explanations in posts for various mods, and a few here in the forums, but nothing really comprehensively covers all of these things. For example, Gopher's YouTube tutorial on SkyRe...it's great...extremely informative, but he only uses NMM, BOSS and the reproccer...Wrye Bash isn't in the mix...so I don't know how it and the Bashed Patch plays with the the others.

Heck, I'd even be happy to spend an hour barraging someone with a thorough understanding with questions, though I expect that if I have all these questions, there are probably lots of people out there who do.

Ideally, I'd love to see someone run something via Skype, Google Hangout, Goto Meeting...something along those lines...a sort of boot camp for people who want to learn stuff like, when using Wyre Bash and SkyRe w/ the reproccer, what's the actual order the various patch files should appear? Bashed first, and then the reproccer stuff? How can I best control all my unrecognized mods so that every time I run something that triggers BOSS, my bashed patch and reproccer files don't end up 25 mods up from the bottom, forcing me to manually drag them down to the bottom again...why can't I make the !@#$%^&*) Better Quest Objectives .esp file always get sorted after the Parthunax Dilemma .esp, but before the SkyRe_main.esp. I've tried setting all kinds of BOSS rules in the GUI, but every time I run BOSS, I have to rearrange them because BOSS doesn't sort them correctly.

This kinds of stuff drives me nuts, and a couple of questions with someone who knows what's what would probably make my Skyrim modding experience immensely less aggravating.

Anyway, there are loads of questions like that...I understand everyone is busy with life...work, family, and hopefully at least a bit of playing Skyrim, but if anyone is interested in taking the time to educate me and what I expect would be plenty of other eager modders, I'd be ever so grateful.

Sorry for the extreme long-windedness... :)

I can try to answer to the best of my knowledge...

Bashed patch is in the block list of the reproccer so it doesn't use it for patching skyre etc.

Bashed patches should be made without any skyre modules in it (as far as i know anyways)

If you start messing with the stats.xml you're going to be tweaking forever to find a balance you're happy with unless you're using custom weapons/items that you specifically want to tweak just right for your skyre play through i'd leave it alone.

There are unofficial skyre patches: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37605/?tab=4&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D37605%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D1023464&pUp=1 Skyre compatibility patches: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/29375/?tab=4&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D29375%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D875340&pUp=1 which help balance skyre with other mods not included in Balbors reproccer project.

For correct load order this guide might help you: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/753253-only-you-can-prevent-forest-fires/ scroll down a little to see the suggested load order and categorising of mods.

If you organise them that way uss tes5edit to see if the load order is ok, if not readjust the order and rerun tes5edit.

Thanks, Vlaka...I'll check out the guide you link to.

I'm already using both the unofficial skyre patch and any compatibility patches I've been able to find. I do have several armor mods and a couple of weapon mods which I'd like to use, but aren't caught by the reproccer, which is why I want ot learn how to properly tweak and add to the stats.xml file. Right now, those armors might look great, but their armor stats are way off. Weapons too.

I have my Bashed Patch entry in my reproccer block list, and I've positioned my bashed patch just before my three reproccer files at the bottom of my load order, which I believe is where they should all be, but I'll see what the guide you linked to has to say.

• 5 months later...

I do have one answer for you, even thought I am in about the same category as you are. I know how to do this and that, but most of the time I know just enough so that when I start poking around with the CK or with TESVedit I can (REALLY) screw up the game. LOL But in answer to one of your questions about having to constantly go back and fix your load-order after using BOSS there is another program nicknamed BUM (BOSS Userlist Manager) you can find it here <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/311/?%20I%20can" href="http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/311/?%20I%20can" t%20remember%20where%20the%20bets%20tutorial%20is%20for%20the%20tool%20but%20it%20is%20not%20very%20difficult%20to%20use.%20basically%20you%20select%20the%20files%20that%20are%20listed%20as%20unrecognized%20in%20the%20left%20pane%20then%20tell%20it%20to%20place%20it%20(before%20or%20after)%20then%20select%20one%20of%20the%20recognized%20mod%20in%20the%20list%20on%20the%20right."="">http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/311/? I can't remember where the best tutorial is for the tool but it is not very difficult to use. basically you select the files that are listed as unrecognized in the left pane then tell it to place it (before or after) then select one of the recognized mods in the list on the right.

Edited by aregornariles