Mod Request - Playable Cole Hair and Blackwall Beard

DavidHardyBrand

Hello,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me. I'd like to play an inquisitor who can have Cole's hair but Blackwall's beard. I'm not sure if that would be possible, or if we could get the hair and beard to be the same color but would appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to help. It's an odd request but I have Cole's hairstyle and would love to play with it as well as Blackwall's beard as it's the best looking one in the game.

I'd also be happy just knowing if this is impossible so I can stop thinking about it while I play.

Thank you for reading and hope you are having a wonderful day,

Edited by DavidHardyBrand

Hey, this is totally possible if you import those meshes over some of the vanilla inquisitor options. There might be other ways to do this, but this is the least complicated/buggy imo.

A few things to keep in mind tho:
1) You'd need to be using Frosty for this, and if I were gonna do this, you would need one of the Frosty Alphas. Reason being, new mesh imports require the Frosty Editor, and right now, the only available Frosty Editor versions that allow for mesh imports are the Alphas (there was an old nonalpha editor available for modders who paid for it that allowed for mesh imports, but unfortunately it's no longer available, and I joined DAI modding after it became unavailable)

2) Unless you're using a mod that enables Hair H to be selectable in character creation (this hair is an unfinished model that isn't used by any NPCs), you'll need to select one of the vanilla hairs to replace with Cole's hair, which will mean NPCs will be affected. So I do recommend using a mod that lets you use hair H (like this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/2712), so no NPCs are affected
3) For the beard, you're going to have to select a vanilla style to replace, which will affect NPCs

4) The companions have some weird headshapes, and the beard/hair may not fit your Inquisitor perfectly
5) I'm 99% sure Cole and Blackwall's assets use the regular vanilla hair textures, but if they don't, this might require a bit more work

But yeah, I'd be happy to help out, provided...
1) You are able to use Frosty, and if you need links to download the Alpha version(s), lmk!
2 and 3) Please let me know which hair/beard meshes you'd like replaced (here is a picture with all the hairs labeled, save for H; and I guess just send a screenshot of the beard since I can't find a reference for them)
4) I suck at mesh edits and am not gonna be able to help here, just an FYI you may need to change your Inq's facial structure to make things look copacetic
5) Again, this probably won't be an issue

Hey, this is totally possible if you import those meshes over some of the vanilla inquisitor options. There might be other ways to do this, but this is the least complicated/buggy imo.

A few things to keep in mind tho:

1) You'd need to be using Frosty for this, and if I were gonna do this, you would need one of the Frosty Alphas. Reason being, new mesh imports require the Frosty Editor, and right now, the only available Frosty Editor versions that allow for mesh imports are the Alphas (there was an old nonalpha editor available for modders who paid for it that allowed for mesh imports, but unfortunately it's no longer available, and I joined DAI modding after it became unavailable)

2) Unless you're using a mod that enables Hair H to be selectable in character creation (this hair is an unfinished model that isn't used by any NPCs), you'll need to select one of the vanilla hairs to replace with Cole's hair, which will mean NPCs will be affected. So I do recommend using a mod that lets you use hair H (like this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/2712), so no NPCs are affected

3) For the beard, you're going to have to select a vanilla style to replace, which will affect NPCs

4) The companions have some weird headshapes, and the beard/hair may not fit your Inquisitor perfectly

5) I'm 99% sure Cole and Blackwall's assets use the regular vanilla hair textures, but if they don't, this might require a bit more work

But yeah, I'd be happy to help out, provided...

1) You are able to use Frosty, and if you need links to download the Alpha version(s), lmk!

2 and 3) Please let me know which hair/beard meshes you'd like replaced (here is a picture with all the hairs labeled, save for H; and I guess just send a screenshot of the beard since I can't find a reference for them)

4) I suck at mesh edits and am not gonna be able to help here, just an FYI you may need to change your Inq's facial structure to make things look copacetic

5) Again, this probably won't be an issue

note that cole's hair has unique textures, he does not use the vanilla textures for it. blackwall, however, does use vanilla textures.

Thank you for reading and taking the time to provide me this information. I don't mind having people out in the world having the same style here and there as long as I can use them. Only issue is that I can't seem to override hair and beards to Cole's hair and Blackwall's beard but that may be because I'm trying to override hair and beards that are not vanilla. Do you know which one's would work?

Once again thank you,

Darn you Cole, with your unique hair textures.

Someone may have made this mod already actually: https://daimodder.tumblr.com/post/184746756184/thedasian-coiffures-character-hairs-for-the. Actual download link is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jGjJQjavWXUH9qKLn7XScvjjH8euPdHN

Edit: Actually, despite the name, this doesn't contain Blackwall's BEARD.

Edited by apomorph

Someone may have made this mod already actually: https://daimodder.tumblr.com/post/184746756184/thedasian-coiffures-character-hairs-for-the. Actual download link is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jGjJQjavWXUH9qKLn7XScvjjH8euPdHN

That mod does contain Blackwall's beard for human male, it's just that it's included in the hair download and the mod needs to be extracted first before applying it, since frosty does not detect when there are multiple mods within a .rar file if you import it.

Though since it's a bundle edit mod rather than a mesh edit, it does mean that the Cole files and Blackwall files from that specific mod page cannot be used at the same time.

Yeah I was looking through the files under mod manager description tab, and thought it didn't include the beard due to its mesh not being edited / it not being in any of the screenshots.

Unfortunately, it looks like swapping in the mesh for Blackwall's beard would be easy enough (and several of the HM beards aren't even used by NPCs), but I'm unsure what to do about Cole's hair mesh having a unique texture. I don't know enough about editing UV maps on the mesh to like... scoot the UV map on Cole's mesh over so as to potentially combine the two textures (vanilla hair + Cole's hair) into one image, and if that would mess up the vanilla hairs (and I don't like that 'solution' either as it makes vanilla hair retextures incompatible to boot).

Sorry, DavidHardyBrand, I am stuck there. Lmk if you'd like a file at least to make Blackwall's beard playable.

• 4 weeks later...