Heavy Traffic ×

Call/Summon a Merchant

moshmage

This idea is already in the "Dragonborn" DLC version of the game, http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dremora_Merchant

but it would be awesome to have it as a Mod.

Why:

Traveling around the towns of Skyrim, back and forth the Inns and Shops, for a few days selling loot is fun and all - the first few times.

Wouldn't be awesome if we could 'Call a Merchant'?

How:

Hardish way:

Use cooking pots to make a "Nocturnal Plea" (ritual) at the [cumulative] cost of a penalty to lockpick and speach abilities for X mins as well as X percent damage to health for Y time (like a curse of sorts). This would be achieved by pressing ALT+(Default Use key) on the cooking pots.

After the effects kick in, a selection menu holding a list of merchants (fencers included) would appear and the user could choose one merchant to trade with. Which would then trigger said NPC default dialog to appear before the player enabling the player to buy/sell accordingly to that merchants rules.

Smoother way:

Use some kind of "summon spirit npc spell" (as in, The spirit of some trader/fencer) with the same effects/cost [as above], only the summoned would only last for 10 seconds and, although belonging to the player, it wouldn't defend nor attack anyone. (in fact, it'd be awesome if the npc didn't move at all). The spell would sold by the Thieves guild bartender (forgot the name).

Notes/Requirements

In either way, hardish or smoother, it'd be cool if the skill/spell was immersed in the story. With that thought, it could be fun to have the option between enabling or disabling "Only if Nocturnal Quest is complete".

If this option is disabled (as in: skill can be used by anyone) the effects/costs of using the skill could be doubled (again, configurable for easy-gamers sake)

The player *can* die from cumulative effects.

If using hardish way to make the mod, a neat cut-scene of the player cutting the hand would knock my socks off. (there is such a animation already)

It wouldn't feel so "cheaty" if the list of the Available merchants was a real list, from the nearby surroundings. Imagine you're in Breezehome, only merchants from Whiterun.
This would make it so the player would still need to travel to towns, just not that "old in-and-out" of all the places [and most importantly: it would disable him from doing so in the midst of a dungeon - 'cause that's cheaty as it comes]

If this isn't awesome, maybe pie will make you forgive me for the stolen time you won't ever get back.

http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/skyrim.gamepedia.com/thumb/b/ba/ApplePie.png/200px-ApplePie.png

PS:

I already tried to make this, the smoother way, but i couldn't make it so the summon was interactable (maybe because i didn't use any scripting and just duplicated the ConjureFamiliar changing the summoned target [to a duplicate of some npc].)

I *am* willing to make this, if only someone points me in the right direction (because the Papyrus Wiki is honestly scary and not that user-friendly - besides being a normal wiki)

Edited by moshmage

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13508/ <- Have not tried it myself, but it might be for you :smile:

It borders one aspect, yes. But I fathom companions - I'm a sneak type class.

But even so, it's not for me: If I don't get proper penalties (and.. money is not, really, a penalty) for using such "skill" it'll feel like cheating (again, to me) and I'll end up not using it.

Thanks for trying tho! :)

I have something local that could be used as a base. It is a coin that when "equipped" will initiate the store menu with a remote custom NPC merchant. Said NPC sells nothing and only buys whatever the player wants to sell. The NPC has a decent amount of coin that is still short of the "bug out" limit of 30k. Yes it can be used in dungeons, but because it does not have any content to sell except what the player has already sold, it isn't as "cheaty" as it could be. Also the merchant chest still respawns after 2 days so any items sold by the player will disappear. The coin has to be found, it isn't handed to the player. Its location does require surviving a fight unless already dealt with and not yet respawned.

But I have no plans to make it any harder to use or obtain.

I have something local that could be used as a base. It is a coin that when "equipped" will initiate the store menu with a remote custom NPC merchant. Said NPC sells nothing and only buys whatever the player wants to sell. The NPC has a decent amount of coin that is still short of the "bug out" limit of 30k. Yes it can be used in dungeons, but because it does not have any content to sell except what the player has already sold, it isn't as "cheaty" as it could be. Also the merchant chest still respawns after 2 days so any items sold by the player will disappear. The coin has to be found, it isn't handed to the player. Its location does require surviving a fight unless already dealt with and not yet respawned.

But I have no plans to make it any harder to use or obtain.

This sounds a bit more interesting than the first reply indeed but still cheaty: No penalties, Player can sell any kind of item, NPC Is "made up" and the merchant has 30k of gold.

The reason I wrote using existing NPC's is because there are NPC that, for instance, refuse to buy rings but have no problem buying arrows - I'd have to make the "plea" two times, one for the arrows and another for the rings which would then put a big ass curse on my ass. Besides the obvious fact they carry as much gold as your perks say.

That would hinder me, I'd need to wait some time before actually doing anything worth it ('cause of damaging health for X mins cost)

But like I said: I already tried to do this - and I reckon I can - so long as I have a Guide on how to properly implement scripting (as I said before, Wiki is kinda hard to understand) on either every cooking spit or to the summoned NPC. From there I gather I can make the script call default npc's [provided that there's a way to know which npcs are in which town]. If you can help (either with links or whatever) I'd be thankful.

Edited by moshmage

You missed the point....

Doesn't matter how I have my NPC merchant set up. What matters is that I have an object which can open the store inventory. The property value for the NPC merchant can be changed. You could point it at any stock merchant you want. You would have to figure out how to make it use different merchants. Perhaps some quest setup that fills an alias to use. I don't know.

The below works on an inventory object that is equipped from inventory screen or equipped via favorites hot key. If to be used on an activator or furniture the event would need to be swapped to OnActivate

Scriptname abimRemoteMerchant extends ObjectReference

Actor Property abimNewMerchant001 Auto
Actor Property PlayerRef Auto

Event OnEquipped(Actor Someone)
	If Someone == PlayerRef
		Game.DisablePlayerControls(False, False, False, False, False, True) ; Exit menu
		Utility.Wait(0.01)
		abimNewMerchant001.ShowBarterMenu()
		Utility.Wait(0.01) 
		Game.EnablePlayerControls(False, False, False, False, False, True) ; Reenable menu
	EndIf
EndEvent

Isn't there a summonable Dremora Merchant added by Dragonborn?

Wow. After googling "Dremora Merchant" I found out that there's already a summonable merchant via the skill "Black Market" in Dragonborn.

Tho I don't really know if I have Dragonborn (And I'm thinking I don't).

Edited by moshmage