I've don't see the point in these "debates", there are no facts to debate, if one believes life begins at conception then not having a problem with abortion would be odd, it you believe it starts later then it's understandable that one might not have an issue with it.

You ignore the third option. What a pregnant woman does in privacy is nobody's business, and nobody has a say in what a pregnant woman chooses to do. MYOFB

Isn't it? if one believes life begins at conception then that person would be unlikely to see a difference between killing a child in the womb and killing it when it's five years old, and few people would say "it's no ones business" if a mother killed a her five year old child. Of course if one doesn't believe life starts until the unborn is viable then yes they would say it's none of their business. This is why these "debates" are pointless, no one is right or wrong, it all opinion or belief.

People are free to express their opinion but on this subject it rarely stops at that, instead we have people trying to push their opinion onto others and generally being unpleasant, I'm surprised this thread is still open, they usually get locked for reasons I just stated.

I'm with JimboUK on this one.

It's a pointless debate which has no chance of ever being productive because everyone has their own perceptions or opinions of at least ONE of the core principles involved, so it can NEVER be resolved, or I believe, even sway anyone's opinion.

@JimboUK - You probably know this already, but ad-hominem and no true Scotsman are Scythebearer's go to debate techniques, I've yet to see them make any real arguments in any of their posts, so I believe I'll join HeyYou and add them to my ignore list, as reading poorly aimed insults and false narratives are not what I believe this sub-forum's original intent was.

An ad hominem accusation as an ad hominem. And you accuse me of using ad hominems as a go to. Hmmm. Do I sense a bit of projection?

What is this? Third grade?

You.

No, you.

Uh uh, you.

Etc.

And this is why you are on my ignore list. (though, this post isn't exactly ignoring you.....)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've don't see the point in these "debates", there are no facts to debate, if one believes life begins at conception then not having a problem with abortion would be odd, it you believe it starts later then it's understandable that one might not have an issue with it.

You ignore the third option. What a pregnant woman does in privacy is nobody's business, and nobody has a say in what a pregnant woman chooses to do. MYOFB

Isn't it? if one believes life begins at conception then that person would be unlikely to see a difference between killing a child in the womb and killing it when it's five years old, and few people would say "it's no ones business" if a mother killed a her five year old child. Of course if one doesn't believe life starts until the unborn is viable then yes they would say it's none of their business. This is why these "debates" are pointless, no one is right or wrong, it all opinion or belief.

People are free to express their opinion but on this subject it rarely stops at that, instead we have people trying to push their opinion onto others and generally being unpleasant, I'm surprised this thread is still open, they usually get locked for reasons I just stated.

It's a pointless debate which has no chance of ever being productive because everyone has their own perceptions or opinions of at least ONE of the core principles involved, so it can NEVER be resolved, or I believe, even sway anyone's opinion.

@JimboUK - You probably know this already, but ad-hominem and no true Scotsman are Scythebearer's go to debate techniques, I've yet to see them make any real arguments in any of their posts, so I believe I'll join HeyYou and add them to my ignore list, as reading poorly aimed insults and false narratives are not what I believe this sub-forum's original intent was.

An ad hominem accusation as an ad hominem. And you accuse me of using ad hominems as a go to. Hmmm. Do I sense a bit of projection?

You.

No, you.

Uh uh, you.

Etc.

And this is why you are on my ignore list. (though, this post isn't exactly ignoring you.....)

And just like that, another ad hominem appears. And this one from someone who never misses an opportunity to hurl insults, probably because his only means to elevate himself is by belittling others. From someone who posts his assumptions as fact and then defends those assumptions with the "no true Scotsman" argument.

I know what your are, HeyYou, and I was grateful you put me on your ignore list because it meant I wouldn't have to listen to your lies any longer. But, if you insist, I will remind everyone here that for you, your assumptions are facts and your opinions are reality. That the truth is meaningless to you when it doesn't coincide with your twisted vision. That for you, another falsehood is preferable to admitting you were wrong. Yeah, HeyYou, I know what you are. And now, more people know what you are.

Keep harassing me. I'll keep telling the world what you are. Crawl back under your bridge, and you can keep what ever is left of your reputation.

i agree with jimbouk. this debate here shows a lack of empathy and common sense (like in so many other debates). people should at least know things like this as a background before they spread their unfiltered humble opinions to a sensible topic. learn to ask and understand the important and relevant questions first and then to try to find the answers and to debate. if you think you already know all answers you can be sure you are on the wrong path, a common and widespread social media/network problem...

i agree with jimbouk. this debate here shows a lack of empathy and common sense (like in so many other debates). people should at least know things like this as a background before they spread their unfiltered humble opinions to a sensible topic. learn to ask and understand the important and relevant questions first and then to try to find the answers and to debate. if you think you already know all answers you can be sure you are on the wrong path, a common and widespread social media/network problem...

That BBC article has a slant away from abortion. The words they use and the tone they set demonstrate that, even though the author attempted to be neutral, they were opposed to abortion. The most glaring example is the presence of a section titled "The case against abortion", but no section, "The case for abortion".

And even this article ignores the woman's right to privacy. Nobody needs to know a woman has an abortion, except for her doctor. It is her uterus, not anyone else's. The choice to have an abortion is solely the decision of the woman.

Further, men sitting abound debating whether abortion is right or not is ludicrous. We cannot become pregnant, and will never have to face the choice to put our feet up into those stirrups. A man's argument to limit abortion is simply a thinly disguised power play in the males attempt to dominate, control and subjugate women. But nobody (besides me) is willing to admit that the males opposition to abortion is primarily about male power and ego and, instead, they will trot out all the emotionally charged rhetoric about how "abortion is murder", etc, ad nauseam.

So, on this one narrow point we can all agree. Debating abortion is a waste of time. But I disagree on why. It isn't about the fact that minds are made up and nothing here will change them. It isn't t he fact that the the debate on abortion is based mostly in emotion and rhetoric with few facts to support it either way. It isn't even about the embedded male power trip build into the debate.

For me, debating this issue is stupid because every abortion comes down to a personal choice by one pregnant woman, making a stressful decision, on her own. Like I said before. It is the woman's choice, and hers alone. Everyone else should simply butt out and stop trying to exercise control over that wonan's life. Everyone else should stop trying to force their beliefs onto that woman. Everyone else should STFU and silence the million voices clamoring in the woman's ears. Everyone should simply MYOFB.

Edited by ScytheBearer

You.

No, you.

Uh uh, you.

Etc.

And just like that, another ad hominem appears. And this one from someone who never misses an opportunity to hurl insults, probably because his only means to elevate himself is by belittling others. From someone who posts his assumptions as fact and then defends those assumptions with the "no true Scotsman" argument.

I know what your are, HeyYou, and I was grateful you put me on your ignore list because it meant I wouldn't have to listen to your lies any longer. But, if you insist, I will remind everyone here that for you, your assumptions are facts and your opinions are reality. That the truth is meaningless to you when it doesn't coincide with your twisted vision. That for you, another falsehood is preferable to admitting you were wrong. Yeah, HeyYou, I know what you are. And now, more people know what you are.

Keep harassing me. I'll keep telling the world what you are. Crawl back under your bridge, and you can keep what ever is left of your reputation.

Thank you for perfectly illustrating my point. Very good. You should be proud. Or something......