mod help

kagearashi69

i've tried installing mods by both dai mod manager of which maybe 50% of them work (i followed a youtube guide step for step how to properly use the dai mod manager)

and i've tried using vortex and the same 50% or so mods work and don't work.... many of the don't work mods were featured in a yt vid as old as 2020 or 2021

No mods for dragon age: inquistion are supported by vortex, you can't use vortex to download dragon age: inquisition mods. What mods were you trying to use? Some mods require certain graphics setups e.g 3d model edit mods, which are things that change the shape of things, like for example hairstyle mods and mods that change the proportions of an outfit will require ultra mesh quality settings under the graphics options of the game.

Mods that change freckles, veins, and scars require the highest shader quality settings under the graphics options.

Appearance mods don't tend to work or show up in DLCs, so if you're in a DLC area (e.g black emporium, trespasser), and appearance mods aren't showing up, that would be why.

Also ensure that you've downloaded all requirements for the mods you want. On nexus, there's usually a "requirements" section near the top of the description tab (first tab you're brought to on a mod page when you open it), just scroll down and collapse that out and you can see a list of what the mod requires. Sometimes mod authors list the requirements further on in the description section of their mod too, so be sure to give that a read, check if there's any extra relevant information about how the mod works there or in the comments (posts) tab, and articles or read-me tab, if there are any such tabs on the mod page (not all mod pages will have all these tabs.)

Also, be aware that there are 2 different mod managers for dragon age: inquisition, you do not need both, but be aware that if you download a mod that is for frosty mod manager (the other mod manager), you won't be able to load it through dai mod manager, and it won't be picked up by dai mod manager as a valid mod. So if when you extract/unzip a mod, it produces a mod with the .fbmod extension, that is not for the dai mod manager, it's only for frosty mod manager.

for ease I just C&P'd the names of the mods that don't work. if when DLing a mod there was a requirement, I DL'd that mod as well...

after going back through the mods, I'd have to change my original statement saying about 50% worked to only about 40% of my mods work... the ones listed here are the ones that don't actually work

War Table - No Waiting, Eyebrows 4 Women and Katherine Face Texture, Modded hair in Black Emporium JoH Trespasser and Descent, Quicker Looting, Immersive Starting Armors, HD Eye Textures, Schematic Spree, Rare Weapons, Unlock and change Specializations (et alia), Enhanced Character Creation (works but other hair mods are pixalated), Configurable Increased Inventory Capacity 2019 update, Skyhold outfit and formal attire replacements, Ponytail twisted curls(pixalated), New and Improved Makeup For All, All about the face, El's 4k Complexions, HAIRSTYLE DAY DAI (all are pixalated), No Perk Requirements, Eyebrows 4 Men, Sweet Sera - Face and Hairstyles, More healing potions, SOS Brows on Fleek, Faster Movement Speed, Sheps Tattoo Collection, Ornamental Horns, Buffed Crafting Materials, Long Ponytail Hair for Female Humans Elves and Dwarves (pixalated), Invisible Starting Armor, Cornrows straight hair for EF EM HF HM DF (pixalated), Discount Stores, Refined Josephine, SOS Lashes, Spirit Blade Nerf Revert, Anhamirak's Stores Overhaul, Human Male Skyhold Outfit Retextures, Noble Cassandra, Qunari Skyhold Outfit Retextures, MoreLoot - Prologue, DAI RESHADE, Classic Cassandra, Qunari sideswept hair, Quick Start - Speed up your progress, Bi Cassandra Redux, Speed Launch, Silver Knight - the Celtic Commander, Dialogue Wheel Overhaul, Fresh Skin for fQun, Sprint key,

I'm presuming you picked up frosty mod manager somewhere along the way, since some of these mods are frosty mod manager-exclusive mods.

Hairstyle Day Da:i requires you to have the black emporium DLC installed, as do all hair mods made for frosty mod manager, so if you don't have that installed, go grab it, and by that I don't mean the visibility fix mod, I mean the actual DLC addon published by bioware for dragon age. If you didn't have that DLC already installed, I would make sure that after installing it, you go to where your dragon age inquisition is installed (same place you would have pointed the mod manager when setting it up), and delete the ModData folder, it will come back later, but that's alright, you don't have to keep deleting it unless problems arise (it's the frosty merged mods folder.)

Also, whilst hairstyle day DA:I does come with it's own textures, these textures do not alter the look of other hairstyles in a significant way as they mostly comply to dragon age's regular hair texture layout, there may be a few floaty bits on other characters hairs with it installed, but I've not personally experienced any pixilation with it, that may be due to either not having the black emporium dlc if you don't have it, or loading a dai mod manager hair retexture via frosty, if you are using any (I explain what retextures are further down.)

I don't know which file you're using from the specializations mod, but, note, specialization mods are not compatible with the complete or custom hair patch version of enhanced character creation, since they edit the same files. It is, however, compatible with the lite version of enhanced character creation. Also, if you're using the slider files from the modded hair in black emporium page, make sure you're following the instructions in the second to top comment of the mods page if you want to use it with enhanced character creation (though, note that the slider file of the mod will clash with specialization mods.)

If you're loading any of the following mods through frosty mod manager directly, you should not do this as these are dai mod manager retextures (in other words, mods for dai mod manager that change the details and designs painted onto things), and those do not play well when loaded through frosty:

Fresh Skin for fQun

Silver Knight - The Celtic Commander

Qunari Skyhold Outfit Textures

Noble Cassandra

Human Male Skyhold Outfit Textures

Refined Josephine

Eyebrows 4 men (this also clashes with eyebrows 4 women so you shouldn't use both at once)

Ornamental horns

New and improved makeup for all

HD Eye Textures

Katherine Face Texture (eyebrows 4 women from that page should be okay though if using frosty version)

Sheps Tattoo Collection

Classic Cassandra

All of those mods should ideally only be loaded via dai mod manager. The rest I think are safe to load via frosty mod manager directly, provided they are exracted first.

Also, DAI Reshade is not something that you load via a mod manager, since it is a reshade, you will need a program called reshade in order to install it.

I'm not sure in what way you are loading these mods, but, do note that if you are using both mod managers at once, the mods you have loaded via frosty are not going to work unless you do a special workaround to use both mod managers together. So if you're using both mod managers at once, your frosty mods won't load unless you do this workaround.

Edited by Dmitrias

i didn't know some were frosty only. i do have frosty mod manager, but not using it at current time...

Hairstyle Day Da:i requires you to have the black emporium DLC installed: i do have the black emporium dlc installed

i'm fine with uninstalling any and all hair mods if need be

which ones are frosty exclusive so I can remove them. I just tried installing mods that sounded good to me, some I can live without, some I really need

these:

Fresh Skin for fQun

Silver Knight - The Celtic Commander

Qunari Skyhold Outfit Textures

Noble Cassandra

Human Male Skyhold Outfit Textures

Refined Josephine

Eyebrows 4 men (this also clashes with eyebrows 4 women so you shouldn't use both at once)

Ornamental horns

New and improved makeup for all

HD Eye Textures

Katherine Face Texture (eyebrows 4 women from that page should be okay though if using frosty version)

Sheps Tattoo Collection

Classic Cassandra

were all installed via the dai mod manager

Also, DAI Reshade is not something that you load via a mod manager, since it is a reshade, you will need a program called reshade in order to install it. so reshade is an actual program and not a mod? i can remove that one too

Well, you don't have to remove your frosty mods if you use the workaround I provided at the bottom of my last post, but here's a list of the frosty mods in your list nonetheless.

Frosty Exclusive mods:

Sprint key

Dialogue wheel overhaul

Hairstyle Day DAI

El's 4k complexions

Some of the other mods on your list do contain frosty versions but I haven't noted these as the other ones I didn't mention also had dai mod manager options on the page. Just make sure you have the right download if it has options for both, as they will probably be separate downloads on the mod pages. But it should normally be written down which mod manager either file is for.

Reshade is a program but it can be used to alter specifically DAI's lighting only if you want it, it just has a different setup to the rest of your mods.

I don't think removing all your hair mods is necessary, but, if you want them to work, it might help if you could provide pictures of this pixilation you mentioned?

Edited by Dmitrias

what about all the other .dai mods that aren't working? like the no waiting at the war table for instance

i think i found my problem... i just realized I forgot to hit merge on the DAI Mod Manager.. the reason I say I think is as of this post the game has been loading for a little over 10 min now (black screen with the green DAI logo in the lower right corner) sure the game took awhile to load in the past, i timed it at just a little less than 7 min, but now over 10 min...

i gave up when the game was still loading at the 1 hour mark...

Edited by kagearashi69