How to stop Skyrim from updating

ff7legend

This post will be book marked for me. I'm so glad you told us about the manifest stuff. The "help" i found online was far from helpful. All they had was "set to read only" as I watched skyrim almost immediately restart the update. Fortunately I had fast enough reflexes to hit the cancel button before something bad happened.

EDIT: I noticed that when i went back to steam (i don't play in offline mode because I have several mmos that require updates) that steam started downloading it's "Steam Common Redistributables" (almost 700mb) and skyrim is back to "update required" bs.

Edited by wpgfurry

RUNNING SKYRIM AE ON XBX ONE.

DID THE "UPGRADE" FOR 19 BUCKS.

Thought I would fool around with some new mods for the AE.

Cleared my reserved space.

LOST HEARTHFIRE, DAWNGUARD and other earlier DLCs for Skyrim SE.

Doh.

Spent 2 days loading up 150 mods from a posted LO I liked and started testing them across both PC and Xbox anxious to jump in deep and start playing and modding! That very next day all this happens ROFL so same here I seriously feel your pain! Posted to MS Xbox reddit and MS support about the issue. It just seems so wrong why can't we have our original purchase along with the upgrade we bought them both?

• 2 weeks later...

Consoles are SOL & cannot block the "update" unless the console is unplugged from the Internet entirely. Ethernet cable must be disconnected & any WiFi settings disabled. Otherwise one is guaranteed to lose their setup since Bethesda "updates" are notorious for fixing some things while introducing more bugs in the long run. QA is spotty at best over there at bethesda/Micro$oft.

ff7legend

Had steam in offline mode since 11/11/21 and set the appmanifest 489830 to read only but that is all I did. Was thinking about going online with steam but checked the appmanifest 489830 over first and I see there are 4 appmanifest 489830 Temp files as well. They most recent temp file is dated 10/6/22, none of these temp files were there when I set the appmanifest to read only, they have appeared since then. I will hold off turning steam online as I don't want to have to re-Install backups to keep a pure 1.5.97, if any one has advice for me I would appreciate it, these temp files shouldn't be there and I'm worried somehow something snuck in, I won't delete them without further knowledge of what they are either. Thanks.

So I was happily playing my game (SSE AE) on the 30th with no issues, then on the 1st it crashes on save load. As I understand it the update came on the 15th?

My screen tells me I have 1.6.353.0.8 (SKSE64 2.1.5 rel 6) Is this the new version?

Thanks for any help.

I'll wager your game was stealth-updated by Steam to the newest version & your crash is caused by one or more incompatible SKSE plugins due to a game version mismatch @Colinpark. EIther use the Unofficial Downgrade Patcher to downgrade your game or figure out which SKSE plugins are incompatible with your game version.

ff7legend