The Storm Raven Returns...

Storm Raven

Dark0ne, as I promised, so the explanation begins

As the light began to dim in the Imperial Indoor Amphitheater, the crowd that had gathered, that evening began to quiet in anticipation of the performance they were about to see. As a near total darkness enveloped the audience, a single light began to brighten in the center of the stage. Deep crimson curtains disappeared high above into the darkness, formed outside the pool of light, now brightening quickly against the shadows formed by the curtains folds.

The conductor tapped his baton on the medal stand that held the music for the evening's events, signaling the orchestra in the pit beneath him to total silence. There was a very quiet rustling as a single man with whitening hair emerged from between the hidden folds of the theater's curtains, and moved forward into the focus of the light.

He cleared his throat before he spoke, so that he might be heard clearly throughout the theater and in a voice loud enough to be heard in the far corners began to speak.

"The events portrayed in this evening's performance, are to be understood are work of complete fiction. The actors and the dialogue bear no reference upon any real individuals, among the living or the dead. They are a complete fabrication of the author's imagination, having nothing to do with real events, past or present." He paused for a moment before delivering a final line.

"It is to be understood with absolutely crystal clarity, that nothing, you're about to see has any bearing on any real events. They are complete and utter fabrication of the author's mind and never have nor probably ever will occur." He smiled before he turned and moved back between the curtains of the stage.

"Well," he thought to himself as he entered the welcome darkness behind the curtains, "Most of them will believe that, and for those few who know bits and pieces of the truth, they will at least have had the seeds of doubt firmly planted in their minds." He then quickly moved to the far right stage, where members of the actors guild, awaited him. Even as he moved into their circle, they began to move quickly as they dressed him in his costume for that night's performance.

Moments later, the curtains parted revealing a scene within the Imperial Library, as the soft light of the early-morning enveloped the figures of four very different men. They took their various positions before and around a warm fire blazing in the hearth, to chase away the mornings chill. It was very early in the spring, but one can hardly say that winter had released its grip upon the land.

"Uh-Oh, the first man said, "the Emperor of Nexiom has demanded an explanation for your absence these past eighteen months, and like it or not, you will have to face him, Storm Raven, and give a full account of your travels across the width and breadth of the empire. The question is, what will you tell him, and how do you think he will react to what you say?"

Storm Raven looked at his friend, for they had traveled many miles together, many battles, and many simple joys of the things they had created together, and the many hours they had spoken together of their dreams and the events which had quite by accident, put them together.

"Sooner or later, the truth will always come out," began, Storm Raven, before he was interrupted by his friend, "so you had best be prepared to face the consequences of your actions.", the other man finished for him, having heard the statement, so many times before.

A slow smile began to form around the lips of Ban 'em Ben, as he remembered the many times and places in times both good and bad, his good friend, Storm Raven had made that statement.

"What is it with you two? Constantly finishing the spoken thoughts of one another," Master Hammonds said, with just a hint of frustration, because he knew the question was rhetorical.

The fourth and final man in the room, known simply as Buddah spoke up, "Clearly, they have spent too much time together to know one another's minds so well." He answered, with calm and tranquility. He was the oldest of the four and carried with him an aura of peace and patience.

Buddha was known far and wide for his wisdom, and his tolerance, of the opinions of others. When conflicts appeared, if necessary, he could settle them quite decisively, but he preferred wherever possible, more diplomatic and peaceful resolutions.

"Well, it can be a damn bit unsettling," said Master Hammonds, the youngest of the four stating, his annoyance, more at the situation, than his friends around the room. "So what will you tell the Emperor?" He asked, directing his question at Storm Raven, and returning them all to the central issue that had brought them together for their quiet meeting in the morning.

"The unvarnished truth, of course," Storm Raven answered, "Did you honestly think I have any another choice?" he asked rhetorically, for he knew his friends already knew him too well to expect anything different from him.

"And how do you expect he will respond?" Master Hammonds asked, knowing that this was the real question on all minds, and the central issue for which the meeting had been called.

"I've no idea," Storm Raven answered, for he had taken the mission upon himself, not knowing when he started, what he would find. He now knew it was a risk yet taken upon himself seeking answers to questions, which at the time he knew were ill-defined.

More than anything, it'd been a quest for learning, and an understanding of a larger world beyond the one he knew. It had always been his nature to explore, and to learn from his experiences. He'd always sought to understand those things beyond the boundaries of his paradigm and he enjoyed the surprise and wonder at the things that he had found.

Well, the question central to all their minds still unanswered, was how the Emperor would react to what he would hear from Storm Raven's travels, a certain tension in the air began to ease, because they knew, they would not know, until they knew. There was no point pursuing, what would not be known, until it was.

That settled, they began the game of grousing. The four friends began to look for ways to poke each other in the ribs. It was a way known to all good friends, to ease the tension and sometimes see the humor in the situation. For friendships based on laughter will always last longer, and be much deeper, than those alliances that are formed in fear and suspicions.

Those temporary alliances of convenience almost always fell apart in the true face of danger. They all knew this well, just as they knew, having played the game of grousing many times before that the comments coming would be in jest, and would not be taken seriously.

An outsider looking in, might think they were close to blows as insults flew, but they knew better, it was the way that old friends bonded. As individuals, they would face the future together strengthened by the knowledge, that each would watch the others back.

To be continued... as soon as this poor author can put the words together. I would advise you to stay tuned, as the fun is about to begin.

Laughing out loud, at whatever the future might hold...

Storm Raven

:cool:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grousing Game...

If Storm Raven is beard white, with fifty winters knew his friends were quite concerned, which of course he also knew they would never admit. And so of course, he would be the primary target for their frustration. Thinking fast, a surprise attack, might just throw them off his heels, fired the first salvo.

"Master Hammonds, what were you thinking? Sneaking about the Palace in your black ninja pajama suit with that enormous gold gift card? Did you think, for one moment that the Emperor would not notice that? Why, I'm sure he could see that silly grin on your face, straight through your black mask. Do you have any idea how anxious the Blades got over that? Flitting from one dark corner to the next... even though they knew it was you, we've all been trained to question stunts like that. What if it hadn't been you, but someone else pretending to be you?"

Master Hammonds face began to redden. Storm Raven smiled slightly, but not enough give away how pleased he that his surprise attacks had struck home so quickly and accurately. Everyone's eyes turned to see Mr. Hammonds; Storm Raven could not help but smile quickly his success. Everyone was now focused on Mr. Hammonds, and for the moment he had been forgotten entirely. Mr. Hammonds, sensing that all eyes were upon him, flushed a slightly deeper red. The younger man began his defense.

"Sir Raven," he began using the formal title to indicate he had picked up the glove and accepted the challenge, "I am only going to warn you once, I nearly paid for that ninja stealth suit with my life, and if you ever, ever refer to it again as a "Pajama Suit" I will see to it that you spend the next month counting posts." This was indeed a serious threat, Storm Raven blanched as all eyes turn once again to him.

Although, Storm Raven was older, than Master Hammonds, Master Hammonds held a higher position within The Imperial City, and so the threat of such humiliation was indeed a serious one. Storm Raven had been caught quite off guard by such a serious threat. But remember, this was the game of grousing, and the object was to poke your opponent in the ribs and irritate them as much as possible.

Master Hammonds had now managed to land a serious blow on Storm Raven and there would have to be some response even though all present knew including and most especially, Master Hammonds that the threat was idle. This was after all just a game. Master Hammonds would've no more carried out that threat than he would've cut off his big toe. As all eyes turned to see what Storm Raven's response would be.

Ban 'em Ben, knowing the room was full of hot air, and seeking his own opportunity to score a blow. As well, an opportunity to defend his very close friend Storm Raven was in the position now to kill two birds with one stone, a rare and priceless opportunity, in the game of grouse. As he began to speak, all eyes turned to him, and the considerable heat Storm Raven had been feeling began to drop.

"Master Hammonds," began Ban 'em Ben, "How many times must we be reminded of your legendary fight to obtain that suit? I do not even begin to think that I could remember the number of times you have mentioned that fact. Is it not better and more honorable for others to tell the story of your legendary fight?" He said, with just a tinge of false irony in his voice. "Furthermore I do not believe, that was the point of Storm Raven's comment. Clearly, he was simply pointing out that between the suit and the gift card, you might have stood out, just a little bit from the crowd…" he paused.

Well, this was a brilliant strike, and by using a suggested and understated comment at the end of his repost, he had made it even all the more cutting. Buddah smiled, this was getting very good, and so far, he had managed to escape any attention. This was another and very important aspect of the game, as so far, he had remained completely unscathed. Meanwhile, Storm Raven was forced to hide another smile as he had clearly been rescued by his friends, crossfire and redirection of the sortie. Master Hammonds responded.

"Damn you Ben, you know I had Storm Raven in the pinch, the rascal. And then you come along and pull Storm Raven right out of the fire. Putting me in the hot seat again? How could you?" he said rhetorically. Now this was an honorable way to end the first round of the game and not unusual by any means. He had simply called a shovel, a shovel, thereby neutralizing Ban 'em Ben's thrust. It signaled the beginning of the next round.

To be continued...

All comments are welcome...

All comments are welcome...

If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

- Sun Tzu

I decided to edit that last post and remove the story about the counting of the posts. Looking over it, I decided it needed more work, and so it will be reintroduced later.

I'm sure many of you will simply not believe me when I say this, but nonetheless, it is a fact, that this is the first time, I have ever attempted to write anything remotely resembling this. Most of what I've written in my life, has been business correspondence, and from time to time although very rarely, I have attempted my hand at poetry. But this is the first time I've ever tried to write a story.

Something strange has happened, and I sincerely hope, that I am not the first person, to experience this. (Check the phone, for speed dial, to the Psychiatrist!)

But I have been writing these little pieces in the very early hours of the morning, surrounded by darkness, and the soft glow of my monitor. The page is blank, and I think I have an idea, as to what it is I'm about to write. I write a few sentences, a paragraph or two, and then something changes, something that having had no experience with this before in the past, I find very disconcerting.

The story begins to write itself! No no, I'm not being possessed by some other spirit, it's just that the story takes directions that I had no idea it would take. And the next thing I know, I'm looking at several pages full of words. Words I know I wrote, because this is very hard work for me, and hours go by, in this process, as I said before, I am not experienced at this. It's just that when I start, I think the story is going in one direction, and before I know it, it's taken off in a new direction all by itself!

Perhaps some of you, at least I hope so, are familiar with this, and can tell me that this is not too far out of the ordinary, or I will be forced stop. Because for me. It is very much out of the ordinary.

I'm hanging on desperately to a short exchange I had once, with an extremely gifted young writer. I thought he was joking at the time. In response to a question I asked him. He replied, "Do I write the stories, or do the stories write me?" I am beginning to realize, that perhaps this young man was not joking with me at all...

Lest you get the wrong idea, I am not seeking praise, far from it. I need to know that this is not some strange or extra-ordinary behavior, or I will stop writing, I am quite serious. At least fiction, because this is way outside my realm of experience, and I do not want to find myself drowning in some deep dark water...

Can anybody help me? I don't want to stop writing, but I will mark my words.

Storm Raven

I think I understand exactly what you are saying. For me, when I write, the story plays out as it's written. I don't sit and try to think things through or force a story to go in a certain direction. After I write, I am sometimes surprised by what I read. I get caught up writing for hours sometimes. During the reread and editing process, I sometimes get caught up in the story and am off writing again.

Early mornings are an excellent time to write, for me at least. I enjoy writing at this time, because my mind isn't caught up with the happenings of the day.

I think inspiration is sometimes best interpreted by the unconcious mind, and when we give this aspect of our mind time to express itself, we can be amazed at the result!

You have been ambushed by the bain of creative writers. The story has taken over. You may have had a plot in mind when you started, but it has flown out the window and the 'characters' of your story have taken the plot where you didn't expect. :pinch:

At this point you have several choices. Go with the flow and see where they take you. Or rein them in and force them back into the pre conceived plot. My solution has always to allow it to happen, then go back later and edit it to fit a new plot that has been adjusted to accommodate some interesting new twist. :thumbsup: Fortunately, I don't publish my inane scribblings, so I can do whatever I want with them. :cool:

Worst case, you will reread the 800 words you wrote late into the night a day later and realize there is no way to fit it into your story, that some character has gone off the deep end and has acted way out of character for something that either is supposed to happen later in the plot, or something that has already happened. :wallbash: Four hours work down the drain.

I have a special folder for these kind of snippets I call a bit bucket out of homage to a previous career as a Fortran programmer. I save them - more for later reference than real use. Every once in a while, I open my bit bucket and read the stuff there in the hope that I can salvage something. Usually with the result that I can't believe I wrote That ... stuff. :yucky:

The story begins to write itself! No no, I'm not being possessed by some other spirit, it's just that the story takes directions that I had no idea it would take. And the next thing I know, I'm looking at several pages full of words. Words I know I wrote, because this is very hard work for me, and hours go by, in this process, as I said before, I am not experienced at this. It's just that when I start, I think the story is going in one direction, and before I know it, it's taken off in a new direction all by itself!

Can anybody help me? I don't want to stop writing, but I will mark my words.

Storm Raven

My dear friend Storm Raven.

A story to write is like a life to live.

Our lives may also self-employed and we lose control over what happens to us and our environment.

But to loose the control over the here and now, can also have positive aspects.

You can cross boundaries that you've given yourself.

Maybe you learn in this way to fly.

Your Sandy

Well :D the StormRaven is back :)

Let me wish you a warm "Welcome Back!!!!" *shoots some fireworks* :D

A great member of this community has come back :).

And I am thinking about coming back this summer as well :).

Cheers :thumbsup:

Maafiaman

I decided to edit that last post and remove the story about the counting of the posts. Looking over it, I decided it needed more work, and so it will be reintroduced later.
It thought the post count was hilarious and had several layers of humor and info at the same time.

Perhaps some of you, at least I hope so, are familiar with this, and can tell me that this is not too far out of the ordinary
Sorry to burst your bubble but it is rather ordinary I think. The creative process is just that...a process. No matter how talented a writer you are, you cannot write a story without using the backspace. As already said, it is up to you if you want the story to be confined into an overall goal/margins but it is always a good idea to at least see where the story can take you...then go back and see if it made sense or if it just turned to ramblings.

Creating mod plugins with a storyline can be very similar in the process. You have a goal and general idea but as you work on it, you get other (and possibly better) ideas and even add in some more depth. The "Lucky Leon" character in Lost Paladins of the Divines was basically an afterthought but tied in nicely. You get to see his demise when you enter the ruin and can find out that it was he that sold the book to the vendor that led you to the same place he went...which also provides some more helpful clues to what you are to face and how to face it. That one seemingly small character that was introduced can be greatly expanded to other characters searching for or protecting other relics...could be an entire guild of them! The sky is the limit when you let your imagination loose. As kids, it was very easy. As adults, we often have to re-learn (and exercise) that part of the brain.

LHammonds