Flickering/poor quality textures after longer session Skyrim SE

SangvinPingvin

So I've been playing Skyrim for a few days now and initially had a problem with CTDs every now and then when going through doors and fast-travelling. Turns out it was Win10 and its services for touchscreens blabla that was causing the problem, so when I disabled that - no more CTDs!

But then another problem appeared. As I entered Whiterun after playing the game uninterrupted for about 1h30min, the textures were really weird in the city. Everything looked normal in Riften and Thieve's Guild just before, and I'm not using any city mods or Whiterun-specific quests or stuff. Just SMIM and Noble Skyrim, and Whiterun used to look good before this session.

Now it was all patchy with really low quality textures and nice ones mixed up, flickering back and forth at some locations. Oh, and many doors were missing visually, but still functional - as if plastered over by low quality textures you could walk right through. Weirdest of all, NPCs and myself were sinking through the sloping road going from Whiterun market to Whiterun park. That slope had really jumbled textures going across the waterflow on the sides etc - it was really weird.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe this was due to memory issues - some buffer getting full from actually playing the game a while, which never happened before I turned off Windows' "service" because the game kept CTD:ing every 15 mins or so. Now it didn't and Whiterun got jumbled. Thoughts?

I have SSE Engine Fixes - should I edit the toml file to give Skyrim more memory to work with or is that a bad idea? Other thoughts on what's going on here?