Construction Kit extender more broken than the normal thing!

justinrpg

I downloaded the construction kit from this website and tried to make a Princess Celestia mod out of the vanilla unicorn model by changing the name, making it have no aggression, and making it bigger. I also gave it stats more comparable to Princess Celestia from My Little Pony.

I also made a female deer with antlers and gave it the name "Xerneas" and made that bigger as well.

I also created a "Rydia" imperial race. I wanted to make her giant but I saw no option for "base scale" for the TestToddWoman25" which I used as a base.

However, the vanilla construction kit decided to remove the "skeleton.nif" from all three of those when I saved them despite the fact that I did not remove them.

I brought my problem to Reddit and was told to download the construction kit extender because it contains bug fixes and they said it can select the nif file from the "Oblivion - Meshes.bsa"

But I have found the extender to be much worse than the vanilla construction kit.

After installing the extender, preview now no longer works when it did with the original normal construction kit. Now I can no longer preview changes made to NPCs and creatures, nor can I preview any model, even completely unedited and untouched models. This feature WAS working in the normal construction kit from this website. With the extender, the preview window ALWAYS shows blank. It did not do this with the normal construction kit. The normal construction kit actually showed model previews. ALL the SAME bugs are STILL in the extender that were in the vanilla construction kit. STILL unable to add items to creature/NPC inventory. Still no option to and right click still only gives me the "delete" option.

I see no added/additional features to the construction kit. It is the same as the normal construction kit except with more problems and a UI upgrade.

Also there seems to be NO OPTION to select "nif" files from bsa files. AFAICS, the extender still cannot do this. bsa files do not even show up in the open window when it asks me to select an nif file.bsa files DO NOT show up as an option to select nor do they act like folder. Still cannot fix my Unicorn mod that the vanilla version decided to remove the skeleton.nif from because there is still no option to select it from the "Oblivion - Meshes.bsa" file despite being told that you can select the nif file from there.

I tried using bsacmd to extract the "Oblivion - Meshes.bsa" file but the construction kit extender gives the SAME error as the vanilla construction kit whenever I select an extracted nif file, "Invalid directory". The directory is NOT invalid. I can SEE the files in Windows Explorer. I guess THAT bug was never fixed in the extender

Is anybody else having these problems with the construction kit extender? I mean I was better off with the original construction kit.

I DO have obse installed.

Anybody have any proposed fixes?

I was better off with the original construction kit :sad: Nothing was fixed or added, it was only made to be worse :sad:

Edited by justinrpg

Personally never had a problem with the CSE myself so far. Only both CS' crashing when trying to "browse" for KF files, so I always had to "edit their path" instead (something that wasn't possible before the CSE).

No idea why the preview won't work for you. Never heard of it not working for anybody else. But it's OBSE and using graphics enhancements, hardware-accelerated instead of only software as prior to CSE. With this there is of course possibility of wrong settings, hardware or render configurations to cause the same issues some games have with unknown/unsupported graphics cards or outdated drivers.

The only way possible to add items to inventories in all versions of the CS is by drag&dropping them from the list they are found in to the inventory they should go into. Having multiple windows open inside the CS will quickly become inevitable.

Don't know why you were told you could directly browse to files inside BSAs though. NO CS can from all I know. The only thing it can do is "read" assets and textures from inside BSAs, so you can preview models without extracting everything first.

The "invalid directory" errors you are getting though are most probably correct. Both CS' are very picky when it comes to referencing files. All files must be inside the Data folder for one, and then additionally inside some very specific sub folders depending on their type.

If you just extract a BSA file with any tool, chances are very high you extracted them to somewhere "outside" of the game. And even if you thought of extracting them "into" your Data folder, there's still the second line of required sub folder structures, which also has to be met or you will get exactly this complaint.

The CSE adds, improves and fixes a whole lot of things. It definitely makes the whole thing quite a bunch more stable and less crash-prone, too. But from what you were expecting to get here, nothing is among these.

I found out the issue to some of those problems.

Apparently I need to launch through the .bat not the exe that was in the zip

However, I have yet to figure out how to place the said NPCs into the world. Morrowind was so easy. It was literally drag and drop onto a map. However, no map exists for the Oblivion extender or the original construction kit. I tried going to the "world" menu but all that does is give various information about places in the world.

I also want to make the dragon statue in the talos plaza district a housing item scaled down but the ONLY option that both the normal version and the extender gives me for that object is to edit the ID. No scaling our anything

"I also created a "Rydia" imperial race. I wanted to make her giant but I saw no option for "base scale" for the TestToddWoman25" which I used as a base."

I still do not know how to scale NPCs

Any help on these issues?

Usually you can place NPC or other objects by drag&drop from base objects window to cell's renderer window. This create world object(reference) from simple base object and this object also will be available in cell's list of objects in a Cell View window. Click on this new created object to highlight and then right-click to bring up its context menu. Select Edit and then you can adjust its coordinates and also a scale.

Usually you can place NPC or other objects by drag&drop from base objects window to cell's renderer window. This create world object(reference) from simple base object and this object also will be available in cell's list of objects in a Cell View window. Click on this new created object to highlight and then right-click to bring up its context menu. Select Edit and then you can adjust its coordinates and also a scale.

Except NONE of that is even in the window that pops up! There is NO OPTION to set scale or coordinates :sad: Creatures have a set scale option but NOT NPCs! and NO object, creature, or NPC has any option to set coordinates when I right click edit.

If there was an option there,I WOULD NOT have asked how to do this.

Besides, render window is ALWAYS blank. was the SAME without the extender. There is NO option to fill it with anything. I looked all over to find a way to do this. Dragging and dropping does nothing either. Render window remains blank. I tried dragging objects, NPCs, creatures, and even interior cells from the world menu. Still blank render window

Please give me the REAL way to do this :sad:

Valid responses only please. I do not know why so many people on the internet like to spam my topics with invalid responses.

Edited by justinrpg

To edit something in a cell you must select it in Cell View window and then select View in its context menu first. This will make render the cell in Renderer window. Renderer's window will bear cell's ID as a title. After this you can place objects as described in my first post.

• 2 weeks later...

CSE do crash 1-3 times a day. But it does not matter as it is so damn great. I use CSE at one comp and the original at another. For some odd reason, ther original takes forever to load a cell while CSE do it within seconds. I will install CSE on the other comp net weekend. The comps are 30 km away from eachother and I do not get to comp 2 until Friday. ;) Otherwise I would had done it already....

Scales on NPC? Dont they do it in the ShadowFang mod to be able to recreate the WOW Dwarves? Well IDK... Cool mod, even if I hate WOW... ;)