Recompiling .bnk files

VIitS

I was following this guide on replacing audio in .bnk files: https://nmsmodding.fandom.com/wiki/Replacing_Audio. Python is installed (3.9.10), I grabbed Monkeyman's BNK Compiler from the link at the top of the page, and got it to extract the .wem files just fine. Found the .wem I needed using the corresponding XML for the .bnk file, and replaced it with a .wem that works fine when replacing a .wem outside a .bnk file.

But when I recompile the bnk file, all sounds controlled by it are just silent in-game. I see someone with the same problem in the comments of the above wiki link from 2018, but there is no response to them.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does the bnk compiler not work for the current version of the game?

I tried using the BNKcompiler.py file from their github, but that seems to be missing a lot of things in the file linked on the wiki page, and I noticed that the readme on the github page says "The recompilation of bnks is currently broken sorry". I would leave it at that, but since the compiler file on the wiki is different from the one on the github page, I am hoping that the compiler was fixed by someone else, and recompiling works.