Leaking of Video Games

Guest kfmccall

all those "scene" groups are the cause of this, retards like "deviance" and "razor" have been making up poor excuses to "release" games over the internet, i see their dodgy rips everywhere and its because of them we've lost so many great companies (bankruptcy), westwood, interplay, black isle...all of them...even SNK was about to fall under due to piracy, so what did they do, change to a new arcade machine (atomiswave)...but it wont stop these idiots from sending the files around the internet, they just dont understand what damage their really doing i guess.

Have you been paying attention to any of this? The companies making these games have been the ones "leaking" them in unplayable format. Why do you think no one's ever been caught? With today's technology, it wouldn't be hard to catch someone. It's all for the publicity.

Oh, and Westwood didn't go bankrupt - it was shut down by EA and incorporated into a new section called EA Los Angeles. [EALA]

• 4 months later...

They leek it to get the Hype up so hopefully(wink wink) sales will soar, and their pockets will be getting fatter by the minute. Just like what car companies have been doing for years. They leek a little bit, just enough to wet your pallet, and then when it hits the market, instant success, no matter how big of a peice of garbage it is. It's the companies way to try and reach more people. Not everyone reads the magazines for that one perticular system, but almost everyone in the US(and a good chunk of the World) has the Internet. It's a way to reach more and more people. No one was bribed for doing this kind of thing, infact, they probably got raises, a new car, and some more stock options. I mean come on, is it that big of a mystery of why/how these get "leaked" so much? I mean MGS3 had just come out and "somehow" word was out that MGS4 was already in the works for PS3. Already, gamers world-wide are counting the days till the release of MGS4.

Also, it's kindof like an arms race(stated this in the "Which system would you buy" board). It's a way to show the competition what new crap one system is coming out with, and then the other starts developing a game that would try and put the other to shame. It's all tactics, tactics about making money, and trying to shut the other down.

If a company leaks their product and people downloading it, surely they have no legal recourse against those who downloaded it as they did it with the intention of getting people to download it.

I read a lot about the Half Life 2 leak apparently containing a small program which would send the downloaders' information to Valve once it was run, but if that was the case then Valve would have been the ones to have put the tracker there and therefore intentionally leaked the game, possibly, and so wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

Shame about Westwood as well. EA seems to take over so many gaming developer studios and then they just discard their websites and in cases, online functionality of their games (Populous and Red Alert 2 for example).

The Bullfrog website still exists, advertising their latest Theme Park game but it's nothing but dead and old links. Same with the Westwood site.

Archived