Some DDS textures I can view, some I can't...

blackhand8657

I've had this issue for a while where some DDS textures I can view, convert, edit just fine but others I cannot and I don't understand why. Some, I can view in Windows explorer folder view like just regular jpgs or pngs but others I cannot. I dont understand what makes the difference and would like to know more

Also, Creation Kit crashes when trying to use certain custom meshes. For example; new Armament mod which adds new ammo, models/textures for the ammo boxes. I wanted to use those models/textures for my own personal mod, extracted them from the BA2, but CK crashed when I tried to select one of Armament's custom meshes. Nifskope will load the meshes but not textures.

I would like to understand the issue here, maybe I'm missing something. Thank you

I've had this issue for a while where some DDS textures I can view, convert, edit just fine but others I cannot and I don't understand why. Some, I can view in Windows explorer folder view like just regular jpgs or pngs but others I cannot. I dont understand what makes the difference and would like to know more

What tool are you using to edit DDS files?

It sounds like it may not support some of the newer DDS formats.

Regarding Windows Explorer thumbnails, Microsoft's built-in DDS reader only supports the DirectX 9 formats: BC1 (DXT1), BC2 (DXT3) and BC3 (DXT5).

Windows Explorer will show thumbnails for BC7 DDS files if you install Paint.NET and set it as the default program for opening DDS files, it takes over the DDS thumbnail rendering from the OS.

What tool are you using to edit DDS files?

It sounds like it may not support some of the newer DDS formats.

Regarding Windows Explorer thumbnails, Microsoft's built-in DDS reader only supports the DirectX 9 formats: BC1 (DXT1), BC2 (DXT3) and BC3 (DXT5).

Windows Explorer will show thumbnails for BC7 DDS files if you install Paint.NET and set it as the default program for opening DDS files, it takes over the DDS thumbnail rendering from the OS.

Thank you, looks like updating Paint.net solved the issue of viewing/converting the files. Although CK (ver. 2.0) still crashes when trying to load Armament's NIFs, not really sure why