Working with the Toolset and Mods but now Shale is speaking Russian or Czech

Working with the Toolset and Mods but now Shale (so far only him) is speaking Russian or Czech. I have no idea what or when this happened, I trying uninstalling and reinstalling my game (3 hours later). And he is still doing it. To be honest I usually ignore shale besides getting him and his companion quest (which is after the completion of the anvil of the void). Is there no way to fix this?

Tutorials I have followed:

The mods I have (but I tried deleting but still having the issue):

Any help on this would be appreciated, I knew there was risks having mods and working with the toolset, I thought I was being careful. But I always thought a reinstall would fix any disasters.

Edit: it seems to only happen in cut scenes and quest related (combat/banter is in English).

Edited by HollownessDevoured

When you use the toolset, are you working in a custom module (and not Single Player)? And depending on what editors within the toolset are being used, there may be 'garbage' files in your override, that need to be cleaned up.

Some info on correctly setting up the toolset (so it won't break your game) is linked from this post.

I've used the Visible Console commands file and both PAR mods without any localization bugs, for many years. Never used the Steal cooldown, but an edited ABI GDA wouldn't affect the localization for just one character. Neither should simply enabling the developer console.

I'm not familiar with the Steam version of the game, but if there is a 'repair' feature, I'd try that.

Edited by theskymoves

I never touched single player, I made a module, it was the first step in this guide. The only repair options I see are 3 differing adding shortcut options, "add firewall exception" and "clear download cache". But uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix this that is what scares me.

Edit: removing all mods and files in the override file, also doesn't work. Last thing I can think of is contacting Steam customer support, tell them my game got corrupted and audio isn't all the same language but when I uninstalled and reinstalled it with Steam, it did not fix it.

The Steam equivalent of 'repairing' a game is 'verify integrity of game files'. (Steam Support)

That you worked in a custom module is good. Cleaning out the override folder entirely is good troubleshooting, too. I still don't believe any of the mods you installed could cause what you describe, but an empty override means those potential garbage files I mentioned would be gone, too.

I did a bit of searching to see if your issue has been reported previously (a DLC using the wrong localization/language) but only found references to the game as a whole.

There is a setting in the DragonAge.ini file (in Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Settings), which should determine what language the game uses.

What does your INI say for the 'Locale' and VOLanguage' entries?

For example, mine INI (in the US, using English) reads

Locale=en-us
VOLanguage=en-us

?????

Edited by theskymoves

The Steam equivalent of 'repairing' a game is 'verify integrity of game files'. (Steam Support)

Apparently 45 files failed. But still having issue.

I did a bit of searching to see if your issue has been reported previously (a DLC using the wrong localization/language) but only found references to the game as a whole.

There is a setting in the DragonAge.ini file (in Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Settings), which should determine what language the game uses.

What does your INI say for the 'Locale' and VOLanguage' entries?

For example, mine INI (in the US, using English) reads

Locale=en-us

VOLanguage=en-us

?????

We must have been searching the same resources, yes, I checked before originally posting both say en-us.

So... I'm looking at the actual game files for The Stone Prisoner, and as far as I can tell, my install doesn't even have audio files for anything other than en-us.

Look in the folder where Steam installed the DLC - I have no idea where that would be, so you'll have to do some poking through folders - and see what audio is installed for the content.

The Stone Prisoner DLC should install to a folder called 'dao_prc_cp_2'. For an EA/Origin installed version of the DAO-UE, that folder would be found in the game install location under Dragon Age/addins. For other versions of the game, it might also be in the Documents addins folder (Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\AddIns).

Once you find the dao_prc_cp_2 folder look in module/audio/vo. The only folder I have in that location is 'en-us'.

If that folder doesn't exist in your install, then the issue is with what you are downloading from Steam.

Ok, I have no idea how or why but it looks like 1 (dao_prc_cp_2_c_en-us_f.tlk) of the 2 en-us talkable files is missing and guess which language is the alphabetically the top of the list for it to possible pick instead—Czech. I haven't the foggiest on how to get that file back, it isn't in my recycling bin and I did a PC search. I tried to redownload the stone prisoner in game but bioware looks to have shut down dragon age origin in game downloading of content. So steam DAO UE even when I did a full uninstall->reinstall didn't correct it.

Would it be against TOS if someone gave me theirs to download?

There's actually just the one tlk file for en-us; it's the same one I'm seeing in your screengrab. (dao_prc_cp_2_c_en-us.tlk)

I also installed the downloadable DAzip version of the DLC. That has full localization, but still just one tlk for en-us.

You can download legacy DLC installers from both the Dragon Age wiki and the EA/Bioware support site.

At this point, I'm at a loss to suggest any other troubleshooting paths. Sorry. Maybe someone who isn't a blithering idiot *points at stupid self* will be able to assist. :(

Edited by theskymoves

I'll try that then.

Oh don't say that! You have been very helpful :) and it's nice to get another perspective or someone to lookover. I usually have no one to get help with older content things but I am a sucker for my true gaming loves XD I seriously stopped buying games by DA2 and Sims3 and just replay and take breaks and replay.